• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy

Niwa

.Blank
    Years
    Well there is a PC version of FFVII, whether or not it is illegal/legal to download is a mystery to me, but I dont have a copy of it on my computer. Google could help you out with that.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Final Fantasy game mechanics and battle system need to be improved a lot. FFVIII wasn't even had to me because you could just use your GF all through the game. The problem was that your summons didn't use any MP along with your Magic too. I mostly spend most of the game trying to increase my characters attack and magic power so I wouldn't have to depend on the GF power so much.
    The only magic worth using at any point of the game are the Cure spells, (until you get Recover, when you can heal any character to full health with the only drawback being the loss of one command slot) Meltdown and Esuna. Otherwise spamming GFs and (later on) junctioning Tornado in Strength will make magic useless since you'll be dealing a heck of a lot more damage with them than with any magic.

From this you can probably figure out that I agree with you on that the systems should be improved. I mean, just look at Final Fantasy VII; the systems are a mess. Almost every character has a multi-hit limit break that will deal more damage towards the end than their "ultimate" limit break that doesn't exceed 9999 damage. Certain materias are also broken. Take Double Cut for example; just level it up one level and you'll attack four times instead of one and give it to Yuffie with her strongest weapon and you'll be doing 4x9999 damage to every enemy close to the end of the game.

Final Fantasy IX had balanced systems for a change, but the extremely difficulty level just ruined the point of it, which is a shame since otherwise it was an amazing game.
    Well there is a PC version of FFVII, whether or not it is illegal/legal to download is a mystery to me, but I dont have a copy of it on my computer. Google could help you out with that.
    The PC version has huge compatibility issues with Windows XP and higher. If you're going to illegally download the game, you might as well get a Playstation 1 emulator and download the game for that so you'll avoid having to download a heckload of patches, most of which don't even work.

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    The only magic worth using at any point of the game are the Cure spells, (until you get Recover, when you can heal any character to full health with the only drawback being the loss of one command slot) Meltdown and Esuna. Otherwise spamming GFs and (later on) junctioning Tornado in Strength will make magic useless since you'll be dealing a heck of a lot more damage with them than with any magic.

Agreed. And if you take the time to win the Player-type cards early on, you can get the Quistis Card, Mod it into...forgot what it was, and then turn those items into 60 Triple spells each. Junctioning 100 of those to Squall would give even more Str. than Tornado. Combining that with the Str+ abilities from Ifrit, and you could max out (or nearly) his attack at 255 as soon as you had Diablo, necessary to refine for the Triples.

This is basically what I did on my first playthrough, which ultimately killed my gaming experience. On replays, I don't sacrifice such rare cards anymore, but that doesn't change how available such overpowering strategies are.

Final Fantasy IX had balanced systems for a change, but the extremely difficulty level just ruined the point of it, which is a shame since otherwise it was an amazing game.

Actually, I found FFIX kind of in the middle in difficulty. The only times I had trouble (during the main storyline) was when I spent multiple turns during boss fights to steal the good items. But yea, much more balanced than the two games prior. x_x

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Actually, I found FFIX kind of in the middle in difficulty. The only times I had trouble (during the main storyline) was when I spent multiple turns during boss fights to steal the good items. But yea, much more balanced than the two games prior. x_x
    The only challenging fights in the game were Ozma because no matter what you do, you always need a bit of luck to beat it, and Necron the first time I fought him because I was completely unprepared for an onslaught of status conditions. Stealing doesn't really make the game more challenging, it just makes it more frustrating, especially considering that stealing the last item from bosses always seems to take ages.

Maybe the fact that I can't help hunting down some Grand Dragons the moment I get Auto Reflect has something to do with the fact that I found the game easy, (heck, on my first playthrough Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Quina were in their low fifties when I got out of the Mist Continent) but even during the playthroughs when I've limited myself to only killing 3 or 4 Grand Dragons I've found the game far too easy. I don't think that affects the overall awesomeness of Final Fantasy IX much, though. The game balance is perfect early in the game, but starts shaking a bit later on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2008
    Agreed. And if you take the time to win the Player-type cards early on, you can get the Quistis Card, Mod it into...forgot what it was, and then turn those items into 60 Triple spells each. Junctioning 100 of those to Squall would give even more Str. than Tornado. Combining that with the Str+ abilities from Ifrit, and you could max out (or nearly) his attack at 255 as soon as you had Diablo, necessary to refine for the Triples.

This is basically what I did on my first playthrough, which ultimately killed my gaming experience. On replays, I don't sacrifice such rare cards anymore, but that doesn't change how available such overpowering strategies are.

Hofefully when I get a PS3 I can find a copy of FFIX.

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Well, about a month ago, I dug through some boxes and found FFIX, I put it in my PS2, hoping to have some fun once again, but for some reason, the game couldn't save, so I was depressed. =(

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
    Personally, I'm a far bigger fan of some of the earlier FF games, specifically the ones for the Super NES, especially IV because that was the first RPG I ever played and the battle system was pretty simple, which is one of the reason's I'm also a Pokemon fan. I can't really stand games that have really complex systems. But the post SNES games have pretty sweet graphics!

Niwa

.Blank
    Years
    At first I wasnt really sure if I wanted to buy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 when it came out because I was worried about the characters having "yellow" skin, if you guys know what I mean, until I witnessed its main character on Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions.

Spoiler:

BlueLunarAngel

Borg Queen In-Training
    Years
    I played VI through X.

And Mystic Quest for SNES, though I don't count that as a true FF. Mystic Quest was made specifically for Americans (and thus in Japan, was titled Final Fantasy America), because RPG's weren't big in the States at the time. It's an incredibly dumbed-down RPG that I couldn't take any more of after 4 hours of in-game time.

I used to be a regular on an FF board (the now defunct Final Fantasy: Online Strategy Guides or FF:OSG).

Years
    I never played the tatics series (one is out now on the PSP I believe). I played one for the GBA and was never a fan. As for FFIX I managed to beat the game in less than 100 hours without doing some of the sidequests.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    Overrated? Overrated? FFVII is overrated? I really need to ask something: if a good percentage of the people posting here have just claimed that about it, then who on earth is doing the overrating? 0_o

Actually, FFVII is my favorite for plot reasons. First off, you've got Sephiroth and Cloud. I'm a sucker for big, dramatic, charismatic villains. And then you've got Cloud, who completely pwns the backstory of Zidane. (Sorry, FFIX fans) Anyway, I enjoyed the concepts, and the materia system is insanely fun to use. I really hate being limited to one character class with a character. It's like saying "Well, since this guy has a sword there is no way he could ever possibly master spells." Bleh, I really don't like that. I enjoyed FFVII's plot tie-ins of materia, as well as how it included the one time in FF history that I know of where a playable character that you're had for the better part of a disk dies. I mean, that was out there. 0_o

Moving on, I also enjoyed FFX for the characters, though I can never look at Lulu and Rikku the same way because both of them are like, fanservice overkill. The Aeon system is insanely fun, as was the fact that Tidus goes through the whole game with the same mentality as the player, aka "WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS PLACE?". Oh, and as for the sphere grid kinks, just don't follow that path along the grid next time if you don't want brokenness. That's all there is to it.

Years
    Seeing all these posts about Final Fantasy makes me want to go play them again. Especially FFVII. To this day, I HAVE NOT played through VII.

I should go get my hands on FFIX. I wished I could have bought it off of my friend. He sold his entire FF collection.

However, I really can't wait for that FFIV DS remake. I heard that it's going to have more storyline than the past versions.

lanroxas

Hack Rom Fanatic!!! :3
    Years
    I loved FFX and X-2. Personally I preferred X-2. But I think it could be continued... there are some secrets I didn't understand... like Who/What is Penance? And why has it Lord Braska's Symbol? Also Angra Mayniu... what was that? The leader of snakes? We need a Sequel or a Prequel!

SilencedShooter

Revenga
    Years
    Overrated? Overrated? FFVII is overrated? I really need to ask something: if a good percentage of the people posting here have just claimed that about it, then who on earth is doing the overrating? 0_o

Actually, FFVII is my favorite for plot reasons. First off, you've got Sephiroth and Cloud. I'm a sucker for big, dramatic, charismatic villains. And then you've got Cloud, who completely pwns the backstory of Zidane. (Sorry, FFIX fans) Anyway, I enjoyed the concepts, and the materia system is insanely fun to use. I really hate being limited to one character class with a character. It's like saying "Well, since this guy has a sword there is no way he could ever possibly master spells." Bleh, I really don't like that. I enjoyed FFVII's plot tie-ins of materia, as well as how it included the one time in FF history that I know of where a playable character that you're had for the better part of a disk dies. I mean, that was out there. 0_o

Moving on, I also enjoyed FFX for the characters, though I can never look at Lulu and Rikku the same way because both of them are like, fanservice overkill. The Aeon system is insanely fun, as was the fact that Tidus goes through the whole game with the same mentality as the player, aka "WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS PLACE?". Oh, and as for the sphere grid kinks, just don't follow that path along the grid next time if you don't want brokenness. That's all there is to it.

I agree on what you said about FFVII. People say it's overrated simply because so many people like it. People like to be different for the sake of being different I guess.

Back