• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Finders keepers, losers weepers

Nathaniel.

is here
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2012
    The title is not in any way reflecting my somehow juvenile personality. No. No.

Assume you find a wallet somewhere with a considerable amount of money inside. However, there is clear identification of the wallet's owner. What do you do? Do you hand it over to authority or whatever to return it? Or, simply take it? If it weren't money but something intriguing to you, would you take it? Why or why not?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    I would definitely return it, especially if it has ID in it. In fact, if you find a wallet with money in it, and there's clear identification as you say, it's considered theft to take anything out of it. As far as if, say, I were to find a loose bundle of money, say $200, as much as I need the money, I would still do the right thing and turn it into the police station. As far as I know, there are laws in the US that if you turn in found money, the person has 90 days to claim it. If it remains unclaimed, then it becomes yours.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    It depends. I've found wallets/purses with money in them, so far I've returned them all, but if I'm in need of money I just might take it. Wrong thing to do, but if lost my fair share of money.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Quite honestly, if I could get away with it, I'd take it. If someone asked me if I had the wallet then I'd return it, or if I knew the original owner, I'd return it, but otherwise yeah I'd keep it. Really the way I see it, it's unfortunate but if they lost the money then it's their problem and I found the money so my game. Literally finders keepers, losers weepers.

I know it makes me sound like a bad person here but I'm just being completely honest; at the opportunity for free money, why wouldn't I take it? A clear conscience isn't something I've really ever had; life's taught me that when you have an opportunity, you need to take it, sometimes at the (literal in this case) expense of others. It's a part of me I don't really like but it's not like anything bad will happen to me from keeping the money and it's not like I owe anything to the person who lost it. And before people think "treat others how you expect to be treated", I would be surprised if your average everyday person would return the money to me tbh. I messed up and I paid for it. The same applies.

inb4 hate

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'd most likely give the wallet to the authorities or return it to the person if they're nearby because taking the wallet (with an ID in it) would be considered stealing.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I'd return it. I'm 20 years old and I have a job, I don't need to steal other people's money. I wouldn't judge the people who do take it, though. I can definitely see the temptation.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I'd probably take the money, if there is any in there, and then give the wallet back to the owner and say I found it like that

Na, I'm way too nice to steal. xD I'd probably just give it back.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I'd keep it. Definitely.

I've had my fair share of returning items to people- going out of my way to personally do it, too- with absolutely no appreciation from them and it's really upsetting when goodwill isn't even noticed. (When I spend $30 in gas going over their place to drop it off after calling them, I didn't even get a thanks, I got a "ok cool") I'd only return it if it was like this one situation where we found a paper bag with probably over 30k in it. It just so happened to be this old man's savings that he recently took out of the bank and dropped before going into his car. Though we still didn't get compensation for it (not even $50) I do understand and appreciate how hard it would've been for that man and would have returned it anyways. Boy do I have stories to tell! In short..Lost engagement rings that some place tried to resell? Screw them! I'll keep it, give them my number, and if the person comes back to claim that they lost it and can define it, then I will return it directly to them. Something like that is sentimental, but I'm not going to be scammed by customer service reps. And I have returned it!
    I could go on and on!

But I figure from now on, meh. It's their loss and they should be more responsible for their items. I'd take the money and just give the wallet to the police station/ bus station/ wherever is appropriate. Either way I figure ID and cards are much more important than a couple bucks in cash. Call me heartless or whatever but I'm just telling you the truth; I wont candycoat it. But at the same time I'd use my judgement and consider what appropriate measure to take.

I don't think it's wrong to take money from a lost item. Finder's keepers?

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I'd return it. My conscience would bother me too much if I were to take their money. Why did my parents have to teach me good morals? >.<

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    If it was a wallet, I'd hand it in. Seeing as I'd probably get blamed if any money got taken, and hey I might even get rewarded. If it was loose money however, I'd just keep it. That's kinda the only way I can get any money at the moment.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I'd take the money.

But that's because I'm always broke, have rent to pay, and finders keepers losers weepers. Some of it, if not all, depending on how much money is in the wallet. Then turn it into the police and say it was empty when I found it, some poor jerk must have taken the money and then cry for dramatic effect.

Anyone who steals credit cards or any form of ID is someone I would punch in the face though.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    I was in this situation a long time ago. I returned the wallet. But now that I'm older and need money I probably would take the money and throw the wallet away.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I honestly don't think I would. I'd be too paranoid about getting caught to take the money, and even if I did, I would feel way too guilty for doing such a thing. Especially if I saw the picture of the person who's wallet it is. I think I'd try to return it.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I would hand it in. Iv'e lost/ had wallets and phones stolen. And yes it is stealing if it has an indication of an owner. I don't really have it in me to steal things like wallets with money in it, so I'd just hand it in and pray real bad that the owner gives me some thank-you money. However if it were like at school, and I just found like anything below $5 I'd just pick it up and take it. Anything over and I would just hand it into the office, if no one claims it then you get to keep it anyway, so there isn't anything to loose.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I would turn it in. I probably couldn't live with myself if I didn't. Unless, of course I recognized the owner as someone who I hold a grudge against, then that cash would go in my pocket and the wallet would go in the trash *evil smirk*

But in most cases I'd return it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I'd hand it in. Honestly, as much as I might be able to get away with keeping it, I'd just feel guilty in doing so. I can imagine a Tell Tale Heart scenario emerging verrrrry quickly, to be honest.

(You need to fastforward to the end to get to the good stuff, but if you want to watch the whole episode, that's also cool!)

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    If there is an owner, like a wallet, I'd definitely return it. I would only keep the money if it's not a huge sum of money and there's no definite owner.

Years
    If there's an easy place to turn it in, I'll always turn it in. If it's out in the middle of nowhere in town, I'll just leave it be, tbh, because I've no idea where the police station is and I don't own a car. I'm too honest to steal money. If that were my wallet, I'd want it returned untouched, so I extend the same courtesy to others.

Related story: Once I was walking around the mall when I found a wallet sitting on top of a candy machine. Lost and Found was a few feet away, so I turned it in without even looking in it. When I told my co-workers about this they were all like "if there was no ID and money you should've taken it!" ¬¬

Only time I take money is if it's on the ground, and only if it's a small amount ($20 or less but I can't think of the last time I saw a $20 just floating around).

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    How much?

I would probably return it, or else I might feel guilty about stealing their wallet.

Back