• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen FireRed and LeafGreen, satisfactory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    So you're happy you paid the same price for a game with substantially less depth and substance than Ruby and Sapphire.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    Well when I was like 6 and had Blue Version, I was too impatient to ever train more than my starter, and as a result, never beat the Pkmn League. By the time I got LG, I was a little older, like 4th grade I think, and I actually knew how to play a Pokemon game so I got more out of it, but some things in FRLG just annoy me.

Same here. When I got Crystal, I only trained Cyndaquil so I ended up only beating the league once. My main enjoyment of the game was learning that you could be a blue boy character if you knew how. I restarted now and trained my pidgey and cyndaquil

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
    Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen were my favorite games of all time! I liked the music & sprites a lot! The extension of the Sevii Islands was nice & it just continued the gameplay! :)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I didn't like it at all. I mean I played it and I got Deoxys throught he event and was really thrilled and all, but looking back on it, it really sucked. Especially since I played the first games when I was young, and those were just so much better. They were more of a challenge; in FR/LG EVERYTHING got explained. Like EVERY SINGLE TIHNG, and it was starting to get on my nerves. I can understand why they might have done that but still.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    The first time I played FireRed I really enjoyed the experience. It was a great refresher to go back to lands I was familiar with after feeling a little let down by the lack of original Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire. Needless to say I was able to breeze through the game since I knew everything ahead of it occurring. Since I started playing Pokémon right from the start, I'll always have a special attachment to Kanto.

After having much time pass by and playing through Heart Gold, though, I've realized that FR/LG were more of a letdown than I once thought. Very little was done to change the game besides the Sevii Islands (but those were supposed to be in RGBY in the first place, weren't they?), and even those were a bit underwhelming. Other small changes just annoyed me, like the holding-your-hand tone of the game (Help menus? Teachy TV? How condescending!).

I'm fine that not much was added to the gameplay aside from what R/S brought to the table; this was in the same generation, after all. And I actually have a soft spot for the music from it. This is my nostalgia kicking in, but I have trouble playing the game today having to listen to the remixed music. I could just mute the game and imagine the 8-bit tracks playing or just listen to my iPod, but that's just too much of a hassle with Pokémon.

One thing's for sure, though: the games provide a great foundation to create hacks from!

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
    I really enjoy R/B/Y but I also liked FRLG. I agree with you on the music not being as good, as well as it being a revamp w/out the... how should I put this..... NOSTALGIA. The added features were a good touch, and I enjoyed playing through the Sevii Islands. They really should have put in some kind of reward for catching all of the unown, though....

Probably my least favorite games in the main series. At the time they were released and all, I thought they were fine and did good sticking to the original story. As time went on and I played RBY more and more again, I started to enjoy them more and more. Preferring the original music, the original TMs, the sprites...um THE MUSIC. Then when stuff was being leaked about HGSS, I read and thought "wow, there's a lot of changes." At that point, I started to realize that FRLG were just...remakes without their own flair, except for the Sevii Islands. But when you compare just the Islands to all that HGSS offered that was different from its original game, it made a bold statement, and still, in my opinion, retained that charm from the original. FRLG was just a revamped RG with hardly anything on its own.

Hope this makes sense. ...Did I mention I hate the FRLG music?
    I really enjoy R/B/Y but I also liked FRLG. I agree with you on the music not being as good, as well as it being a revamp w/out the... how should I put this..... NOSTALGIA. The added features were a good touch, and I enjoyed playing through the Sevii Islands. They really should have put in some kind of reward for catching all of the unown, though....

Last edited:

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Before, I was really thrilled to play the game as it reminded me with the older ones, but of course, with a different graphics, sound and that sort of stuff. But as Nintendo keeps making advanced stuff, guess the feeling just fades away like instantly. o.o;

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    They were quite fun to play, I must admit. But to me, they weren't as much fun as Emerald in that once I beated LG, I didn't really play it again and again like I have Emerald.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back