• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] FireRed ASseMbly hacking?

~CyberKitsune09~

Proud Tails fan!
Years
  • Hi all hackers out there,
    I just came from the Sonic hackingverse, where they hack everything in a Disassembly.
    Disassembly (or ASM) is probably the most effective (and confusing) method of hacking ever.
    I was wondering what processor the GBA uses, so I can try to dissemble a FireRed ROM and take a look inside.
    Just imagine the possibilities, Day/Night systems, Pokegear, Completely new items, Modified battle system, and even more.
    Last, has anyone tried ASM hacking at all? I didn't see anything yet, but I'm ready to try!

Infamous Amos

ALL BIDOOF IN MY WAY WILL FALL
    Years
  • If I recall correctly, the GBA uses the ARM processor.
    I have often wondered why there isn't much ASM hacking in the Pokemon Community.
    Although, I really haven't been keeping an eye on it until lately...

...I've actually been meaning to look into it...

I'm deliberating on that, or the Z80, so I can hack the GB/GBC games (And the TI calculators)

Although it won't hurt to look into both though :P

Last edited:

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • Infamous Amos

Years
  • cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • Now, if these people could teach us how, there'd be more asm hacking in PokeCommunity...
    There are ASM tutorials... All you basically need to know is the layout, commands, what compiler to use, and how to compile it (and what you want your ASM routine to do). After that, you should have enough knowledge to create your own routines. Don't wait for people to do everything for you.. It seems you don't really care for ASM that much.

Years
  • Those might help a little, especially that last one.

Got anything on Z80 ASM?
    I only know of the one.
    https://www.devrs.com/gb/
    Now, if these people could teach us how, there'd be more asm hacking in PokeCommunity...

If you really want to learn, go search google. Don't just rely on Rom Hackers to write super user friendly tutorials so that anyone can understand. ASM should be hard. You have to be prepared to a lot of reading.

Here's some more sites.
    https://www.devrs.com/gba/
    https://www.gbadev.org/
    https://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/
    https://www.pkmnhackersonline.com/index.php?page=mypage&op=openPage&title=ASM+Tutorials
    Not all of it will be applicable to ROM Hacking, but sometimes its worth reading anyway.

I'll put this link away from the rest because this is a little more simplified. You might want to start with this.
    https://patater.com/gbaguy/gbaasm.htm

Also if you can find the Pern Project, there's some more info there.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Now, if these people could teach us how, there'd be more asm hacking in PokeCommunity...
    To add to what thethethethe said, the lack of ASM tutorials on Pokécommunity is not because of a lack of desire that others learn, but rather that ASM is a technical subject, and such subjects can only be simplified to an extent. You wouldn't expect to learn multivariable calculus from a post on Pokécommunity, would you?

Aside from that, there's the fact that those of us who know assembly learned on our own, without needing tutorials of the sort found in the Documents and Tutorials section here. If people relied on those, how would anything new be done?
    Got anything on Z80 ASM?
    WSU has some nice resources, although it is geared more for homebrew development than ROM hacking. Once you know basic assembly, the Pandocs are an invaluable reference for understanding the Game Boy hardware. The Twilight Hacking board(link removed) has several active members who hack the Game Boy Color games, and I believe some of them know assembly.
    Hi all hackers out there,
    I just came from the Sonic hackingverse, where they hack everything in a Disassembly.
    Disassembly (or ASM) is probably the most effective (and confusing) method of hacking ever.
    I was wondering what processor the GBA uses, so I can try to dissemble a FireRed ROM and take a look inside.
    Just imagine the possibilities, Day/Night systems, Pokegear, Completely new items, Modified battle system, and even more.
    Last, has anyone tried ASM hacking at all? I didn't see anything yet, but I'm ready to try!
    I have been working on a disassembly of Red (the original one), and have made a little progress, although it is slow because I don't have much time to hack at the moment. I have created a source file that assembles to an exact copy of the ROM, but it does so largely by including chunks of the original ROM interspersed with some actual disassembled code.

A complete disassembly of a GBA game similar to the Sonic disassemblies is unlikely to happen. Starting a disassembly is a huge undertaking, and GBA games are very large. I have only seen complete disassemblies of games for the NES and Genesis, at most 2MiB in size. The GBA Pokémon games, in contrast, are 16MiB—eight times that. In addition, the games themselves were probably written in C, not assembly. This is not to say that disassembling certain routines or doing ASM work in general will be impossible; the work going on in the Pokémon expansion project obviously proves otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infamous Amos

Years
  • Aside from that, there's the fact that those of us who know assembly learned on our own, without needing tutorials of the sort found in the Documents and Tutorials section here. If people relied on those, how would anything new be done?WSU has some nice resources, although it is geared more for homebrew development than ROM hacking. Once you know basic assembly, the Pandocs are an invaluable reference for understanding the Game Boy hardware. The Twilight Hacking board has several active members who hack the Game Boy Color games, and I believe some of them know assembly.I have been working on a disassembly of Red (the original one), and have made a little progress, although it is slow because I don't have much time to hack at the moment. I have created a source file that assembles to an exact copy of the ROM, but it does so largely by including chunks of the original ROM interspersed with some actual disassembled code.
    Haha! This is exactly what I needed.
    Thank you very much.
    The links in your Sig should help me a lot too!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back