• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed is edited massively. WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureKeeper

I just have a simple question that I need an answer for.

Umm... I really saw nice editions everywhere, but why when I enter the first page I find most prefixes FireRed Hack? I mean I like LeafGreen, Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald but why FireRed? Ok, Emerald is eventful, so it is hard. So are RSE, but why isn't leafgreen edited?

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
    Most probably because Leafgreen and Firered are using different HEX pointers,
    and in FR more pointers have been "foundW than LG, that way you can edit more in LG.

At least that's what I think.

//44tim44

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Even though FireRed and LeafGreen seem very similar, I doubt they are and they may have differences when you are actually hack it. This could give insight to why people don't regard LeafGreen as the same, because they aren't

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    It's because all the tools work on fire red. the reason emerald isn't hacked is because it is so unstable. saphire and leafgrean aren't as popular as their counterparts, I think that ruby is the best, but people claim firered has better graphics.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    I don't see it as much for the tools, but I usually hack FireRed for hacks because of the lack of the truck intro in it, and more tile space. Otherwise, I'd always hack Ruby, but I'd rather just hack FR to avoid working around the truck intro and setting the flags and vars otherwise, plus have more tile/tileset space.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Preferably nicer graphics, and mostly easier for most hackers. Also, the reason why LG hasn't really been used in hacks, is, I believe, it glitches up more, like Sapphire. A hacker named cooley tried to make his hack off of LeafGreen version, but had too many problems with it, and switched to FireRed.

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
    I hack Ruby, mainly because of the influx of firered hacks. I think becuase most people take after most of the great hacks, which were fire red. I personally have not tired a full on fire red hack, but I'm content with Ruby version, it works fine to me...

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    People keep saying LeafGreen and Emerald are "unstable." This is a misconception. Some offsets are different between FireRed and LeafGreen, and others between Ruby and Emerald. When tools modify LeafGreen and put data at the offsets for FireRed, of course this will cause problems—but this is because of bugs in the tools, not anything inherent to the ROMs themselves.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
    There isn't a problem in Emerald as I inserted dozens of successful Earthquake Scripts based on Emerald.

And now to your question: Why FR is commonly hacked by people? Reason: LG and FR have different Hex Pointers, just like Tim said.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
    I used to hack Leafgreen, back in '07 but it was harder than FireRed..Most of the tutorials were things found out for firered, such as the World map/ Editing sprites/ etc. And hacking the titlescreen was definitely harder than Leafgreen.
    Even though FireRed has limited Tilesets, Music, and sprites..It sure is a lot better than Ruby.

P.S. Most people go with what's comfortable for them.

Years
    I know why fire red is hacked more... Because abouts people ignorance...

Prove...:

It's because all the tools work on fire red. the reason emerald isn't hacked is because it is so unstable. saphire and leafgrean aren't as popular as their counterparts, I think that ruby is the best, but people claim firered has better graphics.

Yeah, but if you look in the toolbox, the truck can be removed now. Or so the author says. I haven't personally tested this.

Like many said, Emerald and Leaf Green are pretty unstable and Sapphire isn't as popular as Ruby. Personally, I just like Fire Red more than Ruby as a game. That's why I prefer to hack it.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years

Emerald isn't unstable. It's just that people didn't try to put a lot of effort in it.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    I'm talking about the games. Not the hacks. And who's DJG?

The quality of the games doesn't change the hacking quality. DJG is destinedjagold.

Anyway, people hack Firered for the reason that they believe it is better. It is about opinions. I personally prefer Ruby, due to the Day/Night, the 2 bikes, and the music. Neither are easier, nor harder, it is about how much time you spend on them.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    It's hacked because it's, in my opinion, easier to hack and easier to implement your own features which shows off talent and creativity. But that's just my opinion. :P

@Dawn's Hat: DJG is Destinedjagold, who is a moderator in the ROM Hacking section and a Ruby hacker.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    You mean the Ruby Destiny guy? Those games weren't for me - they were a bit too similar to RSE, which were quite bad.

Umm, you have NEVER played Rescue Rangers or Life of Guardian's, have you? They are nothing like Ruby, only Reign of Legends did a little, but it was his first hack! They show Ruby can be just as good to hack than Firered.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back