• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Firered/Leafgreen vs. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2012
    So, i'm planning on creating a pokemon hack myself sometime in the near future (if i can ever get a mastery of all this stuff i'm trying to learn from reading more tutorials then should be humanly possible). I was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of hacking Firered/Leafgreen vs. Hacking Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Years
  • Well I tried Sapphire first; but it was really difficult because the tiles a lot of the time use multiple pallets, and the beginning truck sound and truck vibrations, along with the maptiles changes (which would mess it up if you were planning to start the game in the players room, or another small area) make it hard to work with. Leafgreen; what I'm hacking now is pretty easy. I honestly think these are easier games to work with because they world map is LZ55 compressed and is much easier to change if you plan on making a new region. FR and LG also have 25 ? pokemon, so you have room to include fake pokemon; and also several ?? items, so you can change them to run script and make a better storyline.

Lol, if you are still new to this some of the stuff up there might not make much sense, but if you send me a private message I can help get you started!

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2011
    FR&LG are verry easy to map and insert tiles the only problem is that there are more tools to hack RSE so start off with FR&LG then move on to RSE

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    FRLG is better for beginners because there are more tools, tutorials, etc, and it's more widely used.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    FR&LG are verry easy to map and insert tiles the only problem is that there are more tools to hack RSE so start off with FR&LG then move on to RSE
    FRLG is better for beginners because there are more tools, tutorials, etc, and it's more widely used.
    What's with you guys?

Each ROM is unique in its own way. You should gauge your preferences before moving on, and popular demand shouldn't be a concern.
    HackMew once made a comparison in images but the links in that post are broken now-too bad. FRLG is more preferred for its graphic style while RS has pokemon contests and pokenav, and Emerald has a few good features of the two altogether (also the frontier).

So basically, don't group Emerald together with Ruby.

BT

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    FRLG... use FR tho

easier to work with.. plus KANTO RULES!

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Ruby has:
    *a sexier Pokedex system
    *more trainer battle music
    *more trainer encounter music
    *an actual Battle Tower
    *it plays the berry sound when you get a berry
    *it plays the TM sound when you get a TM
    *it plays the item sound when you get an item
    *Mach Bike, the bike that doesn't suck

FireRed has:
    *weird Pokedex system (in my opinion, don't attack me)
    *only 3 trainer battle music
    *only 3 trainer encounter music
    *Trainer Tower (YOU CALL THIS A BATTLE TOWER!?!?!?)
    *it plays the level-up sound when you get a berry, unlike RSE
    *it plays the level-up sound when you get a TM, unlike RSE
    *it plays the level-up sound when you get an item, unlike RSE
    *the bike is really really really slow and sucks

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Emerald is pretty much strictly better with a more good everything, although there is somewhat less support for it. Although FR has four world maps, so there's that one point if you're making a multi-region hack.

Also if you want to change tiles; Emerald's door animations are a little... annoying.

BT

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    @ NinjaCaterpie: Why didnt I think of doing the 4 regions... ohya... not enough Pokemon.... 3 REGIONS... or jus kanto+johto

@Austin: Some ppl get those titles with FireRed... in fact most...

but i do not disagree with the more creativity!

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    Ruby has:
    *a sexier Pokedex system
    *more trainer battle music
    *more trainer encounter music
    *an actual Battle Tower
    *it plays the berry sound when you get a berry
    *it plays the TM sound when you get a TM
    *it plays the item sound when you get an item
    *Mach Bike, the bike that doesn't suck

FireRed has:
    *weird Pokedex system (in my opinion, don't attack me)
    *only 3 trainer battle music
    *only 3 trainer encounter music
    *Trainer Tower (YOU CALL THIS A BATTLE TOWER!?!?!?)
    *the bike is really really really slow and sucks

5 of those complaints are music based, which can be edited. I, for example, and composing a fully original score for the hack I'm planning.

Visuals of the Pokedex and the Bike are two good reasons. Anything else worth noting?

Also, I think that multiple world maps is indispensable for people making multi-region games. Is this even a possibility with r/s/e, who do not have multiple world maps?

AustinWolff

has left
    Years
  • @ NinjaCaterpie: Why didnt I think of doing the 4 regions... ohya... not enough Pokemon.... 3 REGIONS... or jus kanto+johto

@Austin: Some ppl get those titles with FireRed... in fact most...

but i do not disagree with the more creativity!

Fine, but I also have to say that FR hacking is easier. You will be known as a skilled hacker if you can create a successful ruby hack (which is harder to hack)

BT

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    makes sense

but... to what i do in hacking... its all the same

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    5 of those complaints are music based, which can be edited. I, for example, and composing a fully original score for the hack I'm planning.

Visuals of the Pokedex and the Bike are two good reasons. Anything else worth noting?

Also, I think that multiple world maps is indispensable for people making multi-region games. Is this even a possibility with r/s/e, who do not have multiple world maps?

I have yet to see any of these fixed in a FireRed hack:
    The berry sound, the TM sound, and the item sound isn't even in FireRed's soundtrack.

Also, Ruby has:
    *PokeNav
    *Secret Bases
    *TVs to interact with (Name Rater show, Gabby & Ty, etc.)
    *Real Time Clock (I think the hack for FR/LG that uses the Windows clock is stupid, because some of us like to play hacks on actual hardware)
    *When a trainer approaches you, you actually face them like in G/S/C
    *more free space

Lyzak

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    I have yet to see any of these fixed in a FireRed hack:

The berry sound, the TM sound, and the item sound isn't even in FireRed's soundtrack.

Also, Ruby has:
    *PokeNav
    *Secret Bases
    *TVs to interact with (Name Rater show, Gabby & Ty, etc.)
    *Real Time Clock (I think the hack for FR/LG that uses the Windows clock is stupid, because some of us like to play hacks on actual hardware)
    *When a trainer approaches you, you actually face them like in G/S/C
    *more free space

Interesting.
    Again, however, is it even possible to do multiple region maps on Ruby? At the very least, for my project, this would be my primary concern.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Interesting.
    Again, however, is it even possible to do multiple region maps on Ruby? At the very least, for my project, this would be my primary concern.
    Well, Pokemon CrystalDust, an Emerald hack, has extended the world map, so I'm assuming it's possible on Ruby. I also saw a Spanish Ruby hack on RomHackTube (I think), which had 2 world maps implemented (though I think this would also require hacking the Pokedex so that we can see the area).

Another problem with FireRed: If you have multiple regions, you're gonna have trouble with making it show up properly in the Pokedex area screen, since the Sevii Islands are divided into mini-squares surround Kanto.

Then again, if you extend the world map/add a world map in R/S/E, you're also gonna have problems with the Pokedex area data, because then you would have to hack the routine to show the added area, or display the different map depending on region.

BT

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    OK HERE IS MY REASONING!
    IF U WANT AN EASY BASIC HACK (advanced if u work hard enough and add features) - FIRE RED
    IF U WANT A DIFFICULT, AWESOME, MORE FEATURED, MORE WORK, AWARD WINNING, ADVANCED HACK - RUBY
    IF U WANT ABOVE AND U LIKE EMERALD'S GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION - EMERALD

EVERYONE HAS TO AGREE!

Lyzak

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    EVERYONE HAS TO AGREE!

I disagree.

Lol.
    Yeah, there's no easy route when it comes to hacking, I think that's the lesson to be learned. Right now I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I should recycle the tilesets and pallets in Firered or just start from scratch and be gone with it all.

But then I have to decide what colors to use.

Ugh - decisions.

BT

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    I was kidding on the agree.. forgot jk ^_^"

SCRATCH... jk

I'd like to see a well done from scratch... I'm gonna end up doing Unova soon...!

maybe I need to use Wesley's tilesets... OVER EMERALD PERHAPS FOR ANIMATION! (JK)

OVER FR

Back