• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen FireRed or LeafGreen?

Years
In the brief time I played these games, I was playing Leaf Green. While some of my fave Pokemon are split between versions as far as exclusives go, if I still had to pick one version it would have been Leaf Green.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I prefer FireRed, since the version exclusives like Electabuzz, Shellder, Oddish, Growlithe, Wooper, Murkrow, Skarmory and Scyther.

While LeafGreen isn't too shabby with Staryu, Magmar, Marill and Slowpoke.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I made further progress with LeafGreen than I had with FireRed since it was the first main series Pokemon game I ever owned, but I think I prefer the latter. It's probably because I had a ROM hacking phase years ago and I often used FireRed as a base, which gave me a sort of attachment to the game, haha. :'D

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
LeafGreen! Being into ROM hacking has made me appreciate the uniqueness LeafGreen brings, especially when everyone favors FireRed.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Looking at the version exclusive Pokémon I have to say LeafGreen. I prefer Slowpoke over Psyduck, Staryu over Shellder and Magmar over Electabuzz. In the other pairs I don't really have a preference for either side.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
LeafGreen is probably my preferred version! I picked up FireRed first and I still remember how happy I was when my dad bought it for me. It was amazing honestly. I rushed through it though and just spammed my Charizard, eventually adding Moltres (of all things) to my team. Typing meant nothing to me as a kid, lol. I was never able to finish the game though.

On LeafGreen though I managed to beat the game. I chose Bulbasaur as my starter before adding a Pidgeot and Gengar to my final team. I had so much fun playing through the game and just have fonder memories of the journey itself, rather than how I got the game in the first place. Defeating the Elite Four with a team of three at Level 50 was a major challenge, and I love looking back on it a lot.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I remember wanting FireRed when they were announced because...fire. lol I also prefer the version exclusives of FireRed to the ones of LeafGreen, so that answers that!

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
FireRed's version exclusives are pretty mediocre, but considering it was my first ever Pokemon game it'd be wrong of me to say that it's not my preferred game out of it and LeafGreen. I also detest the colour green with a visceral passion.

GengyGengar

Sp00py
Years
I can't decide. Probably Leaf Green because I don't like Charizard, the mascot of Fire Red. But I hate green. Idk I can't choose...

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I bought FireRed because I preferred Charizard on the box cover. Some of my favorites were left out because of version exclusives, gah.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Until after Blaine, the only Fire-types you can get are Flareon and either Vulpix or Growlithe. Ninetales sucks, while Arcanine is awesome. Even after Blaine, you only get access to Ponyta and (for LG) Magmar, neither of which are worth waiting that long for. There's also Moltres if you're willing to use that.

Back