• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Firered team Help.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    Ok, I'm at the gym leader in the fire gym currently, and I need help with my team. My biggest problem is deciding my final member. My team is:

Lvl 40 Venasaur: Tackle (>.>), Leech seed, Sleep seed, Razor leaf
    Lvl 40 Nidoking: Rock slide, Brick break, Horn attack, Surf
    Lvl 40 Gyrados: Dragon rage, Water pulse, Bite, Surf
    Lvl 40 Arcanine: Bite, Flame wheel, Flamethrower, Take down
    Lvl 40 Mr. Mime: Psybeam, Substitute, Light screen, Magical leaf (Yes I know these movesets are terrible.)

For my final member, I had some pokemon in mind: Electabuz, Snorlax, or Aerodactyl. I can't decide which, but the training won't be a problem. I just need a good choice. If you have a good team member for me other than these ones, then go ahead and tell me :D.

Last edited:

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I'd like to see the moves your pokemon have.

And for your final one, I'd use Snorlax. Only because that's my favorite out of the three you gave.

And personally, I'd use Lapras over Gyarados. Mainly because I feel Gyarados' move pool isn't all that great in the 3rd Gen. games and Ice Beam from Lapras owns Lance when I face the E4.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    Sorry, forgot the names :P. I'll add them in, and I'll probably switch Gyrados for Lapras.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    How about this for a sample team:

Venusaur...Synthesis, Sleep Powder, Sludge Bomb, Razor Leaf
    Aerodactyl...Ancientpower, Earthquake, Fly, Take Down
    Arcanine...Flamethrower, Bite, Extremespeed, Flame Wheel
    Snorlax...Rest, Snore, Body Slam, Strength (Replace with Mr. Mime if you want to keep using it. Mr. Mime can be a decent Psychic type.)
    Lapras...Ice Beam, Surf, Body Slam, Confuse Ray
    Electrabuzz...Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Focus Punch, Swift

It uses all 3 Pokemon you were thinking about. It also gives you a Flying Type. I have no idea if you have been using an HM slave for Fly or not. Or if you've been using Fly at all...

torcoal

Ketsu!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2013
    Well, based on the types of your team, Snorlax would fit in the best.
    Honestly, electabuzz isn't that great in the 3rd gen. , and your team already has a water and electric weakness without Aerodactyl. Whereas your team doesn't have a weakness to fighting beyond snorlax,if you include it. And snorlax+Body slam/hyper beam=PWN.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Lvl 40 Venasaur: Tackle (>.>), Leech seed, Sleep seed, Razor leaf

Strength > Tackle. I know it's an HM, and I normally don't recommend it, but it's not a horrible HM like Rock Smash. Or Double-Edge. Someone in Victory Road (towards the end) can teach it to your Venusaur if you'd like. Everything else is fine, tbh. Razor Leaf could be replaced with Solarbeam or Giga Drain, but even I tend to stick with Razor Leaf. High crit ratio anyway. I would recommend Sludgebomb, but you get it so horrifyingly late it's not even funny.

Lvl 40 Nidoking: Rock slide, Brick break, Horn attack, Surf

Everything except Surf seems alright. If you don't want Double-Edge on Venusaur, then at least consider it for Nidoking because Horn Attack has got to go. And you already have a Surfer. This is a horrible Pokemon to teach Surf to unless you're on a sick dare and it's currently 1998, and obviously, it's not. Earthquake gets STAB for Nidoking, so consider that over Surf as well.

Lvl 40 Gyrados: Dragon rage, Water pulse, Bite, Surf

Gen III Gyara isn't very good. I would just go Lance style and load this puppy with Hyper Beam. It's a physical move in this game, and according to the anime, isn't that all Gyarados is known for? Dragon Rage is okay for finishing if you think that your opponent has at least 40 HP left (because this move will only take a max of 40 HP). Bite can at least give you ghost coverage against Agatha, so...I guess it can stay. Two water type attacks aren't needed...I really would just consider replacing Gyara with a Lapras.

Lvl 40 Arcanine: Bite, Flame wheel, Flamethrower, Take down

Pretty basic set. I recommend Toxic > Flame Wheel. I'm just a big Toxic fan, plus you don't need two fire attacks.

Lvl 40 Mr. Mime: Psybeam, Substitute, Light screen, Magical leaf

This looks like something I'd take, to be honest. You might consider Thunderbolt > Magical Leaf (I think Mime can learn Tbolt). Also, get the TM for Psychic from Mr. Psychic in Saffron City and kiss Psybeam goodbye.

As for the last party member, I suggest electric coverage with Electabuzz. You already have a Pokemon that can take a considerable amount of hits (Venus, Nido, even Arc) so Snorlax...neh. But I'm more of a fan of special attacks, so that's just my opinion. Also, everyone is horribly underlevel. You're doing to die. Be at least level 50 for the E4.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    Thank you everyone, this was a tremendous amount of help. This thread may be closed.

Back