• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen FireRed team

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Charizard is basically thunder and rock weak. Not that common in the E4. But you'll want to support it as well as possible.

I suggest you get Rhydon. It's immunity to thunderbolt, thunder, etc... is extremely helpful. If you dislike Rhydon, Dugtrio is always a good Pokemon to choose.

For electric, I always suggest Electrabuzz. It's very fast and has a very diverse movepool. Of course, if you want something that can tank nearly all types of attacks in the game, Magneton is your best bet.

A great, supportive fighter is without a doubt Machamp. Ice Punch and Cross Chop hit nearly everything for at least basic damage. Earthquake if you want to really hit ground types hard (though you already can with Ice Punch) Use Rock Slide for flying things and Ice types, specifically Dewgong and Lapras.

A good Psychic type is Alakazam, though Gengar is always good. Zam has higher Sp Attack, and has a less diverse movepool. Both are excellent choices.

You'll need a wall, even ingame. Snorlax works out nicely. Rest up, Curse up, EQ and Crunch to hit Ghost types. Of course, you also need a water. Gyarados does both jobs nicely (though not a wall, a tank) I'd go with Gyarados over Snorlax.

Use one of the Poke's I listed.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Haunter is awesome =). Happy E4 killing.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    King got some good points here, like snorlax. Snorlax would be great against Lance and his dragons.
    But Rhydon wont do so good in the E4, since the first is ice, next is fighting, it won't do much against ghost(unless it has a certain move,) and I think half of Lance's pokemon have ice moves.
    But if you can, get Raichu over electabuzz. If you train pikachu until it learns all it's moves, it will have good speed, and when you evolve it, gain good attack.
    And a good psychic type I had was mr.mime from the guy near pewter city.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    King got some good points here, like snorlax. Snorlax would be great against Lance and his dragons.
    But Rhydon wont do so good in the E4, since the first is ice, next is fighting, it won't do much against ghost(unless it has a certain move,) and I think half of Lance's pokemon have ice moves.
    But if you can, get Raichu over electabuzz. If you train pikachu until it learns all it's moves, it will have good speed, and when you evolve it, gain good attack.
    And a good psychic type I had was mr.mime from the guy near pewter city.

Buzz > Raichu in my opinion. But yeah, I really don't know why I suggested Rhydon O__O A better type would be Gyarados > Rhydon so you can get Snorlax too.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    snorlax is good, maybe.. gengar(i hate agatha!)i would choose blastoise cause charizard has an ultra eff., & basically water types can use ice atks to counter grass!

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2008
    Well I suggest:
    An Articuno(avantage against Giovanni & Elite Four Lance)
    A Dragonite(avantage against Elite Four Bruno & Elite Four Lance)
    Your starter pokemon(Better learn moves like Hydro Cannon,Frenzy Plant or Blast Burn)
    Raichu(Avantage against Gary's Blastoise and Elite Four Lorelei's pokemon and don't ever choose Zapdos,if it is hit by Ice Type attacks well then Doom for you)
    An Alakazam or Gengar(Avantage against Agatha and Gary's Alakazam because both Alakazam and Gengar can learn Shadow Ball and Psychic)
    A Water type pokemon bacause you will have avantage against Gary's Arcanine and Tyranitar or Rhydon)
    Note:It's not recommended to go with Haunter or Kadabra because they have low stats.But if you insist,well hope you're lucky.And,remember to use amulet coin because it doubles your prize money if the holder participates in the battle and if you win.
    Most important of all:Happy fighting and make your opponents sob!

Last edited:

solopy567

Giga....Drill....BREAKER! !!!!
    Years
  • The only reason im actually doing this is to catch all the Legendary dogs.

Once i catch Suicune im restarting and choosing Bulbasaur

Also, i cant get Alakazam or Gengar because i dont have another LG/FR and i gotta beat the E4 to trade with the other games.

Greenman12

Firetype Master
    Years
  • If you choose a fire like starter I would recommend you have a pokemon group like what pupil ghost said. But my would be like
    Charizard lvl 50-55 with a strong fire move like blast burn if your aggresive or flamthrower because it has more pp than blast burn. You might want to teach charizard earthquake for bruno's onix and for your rival's arcaine
    Raichu(sorry king) lvl 50-55 i would catch a pikichu and level it up to lvl 41 to get thunder and then evolve to raichu. You could also teach it raindance if you want to be safe
    Pidgeot lvl48-55 the pidgeot doesn't have to be that high in levels because i only used it for bruno's fighting type
    Kadabra/Alakazam lvl 52-60 kadabra has to be high in level because i used him in almost every match. Needs to know psychic and psybeam as a back up
    Gyarados lvl 50-55 I used grydos mainly for his hydro pump and/or surf. He easy faints bruno's rock pokemon and is a great back up for aerodactyl and arcanine
    the sixth slot can be a freebie or a good back up. I choose dragonite lvl 55 with a dragon type move like outrage and a strong ice move like blizzard

I hope i helped and, worst case scenario, you cant get all these pokemon in their range levels then i would probably start over.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • I recommend you use Lapras. Lapras can learn Thunder and defeat Lorilei, lapras can easily defeat Bruno, and it is not weak against Agatha. With Lance, just use ice moves. Now when you battle your rival, his pokemon varies on YOUR starter.

Hope this helps.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I agree with the post above, Lapras has helped me greatly in the E4. With a horrible moveset which I gave it Ice beam, Thunder, Surf and something else, it kicked butt

:t354:TG

Leitz09

*studying to draw manga...*
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    Mine was: Charizard, Electabuzz, Lapras, Gloom(Gloom is enough so that i can evolve it to a belossom), Rhydon, and Gengar (all of them must be around 50)... Teach charizard good fire, dragon and flying moves, lapras with psychic and combo of thunder and rainy weather, Electabuzz, good elec and some ice punch etc(fighting type attacks)..., Gloom with solar beam and the sunny weather thingy, rhydon with good gorund attacks like earthquake, and gengar with powerful poison, psychic and ghost attacks...thats all... just buy about 25 full restore if you're under level and some revives( around 10-15)....You should be able to defeat the elite 4 easily and match the champions pokemon with their weaknesses to wipe them easily.... BUT, even if you have a good team, its still nothing if you will not train them well.... therefore... traing is the key.... hehehe

Back