• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First attempt at team building

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I would really like to become a competitive pokemon player and attended VGC's. Although my first few attempts at wifi double battling have left me a little crushed. This is the first team I've put together that I think is actually feasible. Any help would be appreciated!

Klefki:
    Pixie plate:modest nature :prankster
    Light screen
    Reflect
    Play rough
    Protect/spikes

Basically using him for for dragon coverage and to set up screens.

Talonflame:
    No item: Adamant: Gale Wing
    Roost
    Flamecharge
    Brave Bird
    Acrobatics/Protect

Goes for the early ohko or big chunk of damage. I don't have an item on him because of acrobatics.

Volcarona:
    Left overs: Modest: Flame Body
    Quiver Dance
    Heat Wave
    U-Turn/Fiery Dance
    Bug Buzz

Either run him first instead of Talonflame for the early quiver to heatwave or use him to sweep.

Kangaskhan:
    Kangaskhanite: Adamant: Early Bird
    Sucker Punch
    Earthquake
    Protect/Fake Out
    Power Up Punch/ Double Hit

He's the center of the team and will be the sweeper in most situations. I'm thinking paired with Talon Flame Earthquake tell gg or sucker punch/ power up punch.

Rotom: Washing machine:
    I don't know what item yet: Modest: Levitate
    Hydro Pump
    Thunder Wave/ Shock Wave
    Ominous Wind
    Thunderbolt/ Thunder

Basically just use him to cover against rock, fire, and water types. Really just a counter

Smeargle/??
    I'm really not sure what to run in my last spot. I was considering Smeargle with a lot of entry hazards. Maybe Golduck with Cloud 9 to counter weather or Gastrodon to counter Swift Swim/ Drizzle.
    Any help is appreciated

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Gastrodon is your best option for a sixth slot, as it covers your electric-type, which no-one else resists.

Here's a set I'm thinking.

~ Muddy Water
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Recover
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Storm Drain
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

In any competitive battle, an EV spread would be useful as well. That's the only part you're missing.

Protect is a popular move in Doubles, so it should be the move of choice if using Klefki or Talonflame.

U-turn should be used on Volcarona, as a fast U-turn can allow a Pokemon like Klefki or Rotom-W to resist his weaknesses. They both only hit one Pokemon, but it's better to play mind games on your opponent rather than to rely on the burn chance. ;)

Kangaskhan should not use Double Hit as it is too weak and not very accurate (70 base power with 90% accuracy does her no favors) so PUP is the better option. Fake Out is STAB, so I recommend that over Protect.

Ominous Wind is never seen in any competitive battle because of its low base power, low PP, and unlikely secondary effect. Stick with Protect in this case, and because you don't have a rain setter I'd utilize Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt. A Life Orb or Wise Glasses are good options for items, so you could pick one of those if you like.

I hope I created a decent enough review for your team. Good Luck in the world of doubles.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gastrodon is your best option for a sixth slot, as it covers your electric-type, which no-one else resists.

Here's a set I'm thinking.

~ Muddy Water
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Recover
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

In any competitive battle, an EV spread would be useful as well. That's the only part you're missing.

Protect is a popular move in Doubles, so it should be the move of choice if using Klefki or Talonflame.

U-turn should be used on Volcarona, as a fast U-turn can allow a Pokemon like Klefki or Rotom-W to resist his weaknesses. They both only hit one Pokemon, but it's better to play mind games on your opponent rather than to rely on the burn chance. ;)

Kangaskhan should not use Double Hit as it is too weak and not very accurate (70 base power with 90% accuracy does her no favors) so PUP is the better option. Fake Out is STAB, so I recommend that over Protect.

Ominous Wind is never seen in any competitive battle because of its low base power, low PP, and unlikely secondary effect. Stick with Protect in this case, and because you don't have a rain setter I'd utilize Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt. A Life Orb or Wise Glasses are good options for items, so you could pick one of those if you like.

I hope I created a decent enough review for your team. Good Luck in the world of doubles.
    Talonflame is better off using Brave Bird over Acrobatics, since Flying Gem isn't available. It also needs the raw power of Flare Blitz. Though having two recoil moves isn't appealing at first glance, Talonflame really needs the extra power:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Taunt/Protect
    -Tailwind/Protect
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Steel Wing/Return
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Gale Wings

Scrappy should be Kangaskhan's regular ability since it lets it hit Ghosts with Normal/Fighting moves before Mega Evolving. Also, Fake Out support is pretty neat:
    -Fake Out/Power-Up Punch
    -Return/Double-Edge
    -Sucker Punch
    -Earthquake/Crunch
    Item: Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy

Wash Rotom is best played as a bulky attacker or a revenge killer:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunder/Trick
    -Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)/Trick
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 240 HP/252 SAtk/16 SDef
    Item: Choice Specs

or
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch/Trick
    -Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)/Trick
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

I don't think Volcarona should use U-turn. Each Pokemon in a Doubles environment should use Protect/Detect to protect against an attack while the partner attacks. Also, U-turning out removes any stat boosts you get:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Heat Wave
    -Bug Buzz
    -Protect
    Item: Lum Berry

or
    -Heat Wave/Overheat
    -Bug Buzz
    -Rage Powder
    -Protect
    Item: Lum Berry

Also, Kangaskhan is an all-female species. Just putting that out there.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • A couple of things. In doubles, battles tend to move too quickly for you to get any more than 1 boosting move up. Unless your opponent is really bad, you're lucky if you survive long enough to get a boost up and get an attack in. It's doable, but rare. Secondly, switching is rare in doubles. Hazards are generally a no-no. The most I'll grant you is a single Stealth Rock, no more than that. And even then it's very, very iffy and oftentimes a waste of a moveslot.

Klefki - Don't bother with spikes, there isn't that much switching in doubles.

Talonflame - Acrobatics is super easy to predict when you're not using an item. If I were you, I'd stick a Sitrus Berry or some other consumable on it. You lose the power of Acrobatics in the beginning but you can throw your opponent for a loop because they might think you're using some choice item or something and prepare for that. Then when your item activates, you can go nuts and catch your opponent off guard. Bit complicated, but not really. You'll need to set your EVs though so you'll survive the initial attack.

Volcarona - This thing is often a hit-and-miss. With proper support and a single Quiver Dance, it can become a very deadly powerhouse. Otherwise, it is very dead. You'll need something to pull pressure off Volcarona. Look for something with Rage Powder or Follow Me. Or decoy with something super threatening to your opponent's team.

Kangaskan - Okay.

Rotom-W - Ominous Wind = big nono. It's not powerful enough to do much of anything to your opponent's team and the stat boosts are unreliable. Go for this set:
    Thunder/Thunderbolt/Discharge
    Hydro Pump
    Hex/Shadow Ball/Protect
    Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave/Protect
    His set can be switched around super easily, depending on what your team needs. Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers (this gen is chock-full of physical attackers, last gen was more special attackers), Thunder Wave to cripple stuff (watch out for Trick Room). You will have to decide between Hex and Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball is more reliable but Hex does double damage to anything with status.

Smeargle: No. Nonononononono. Not unless you want to die in 1 shot (2 with Focus Sash). Golduck: Weeeeell, you can try him but I'm not enthusiastic about it.

I think you should edit your team and then decide on your last Pokemon when you've figured out what your weakness is.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • On the topic of Klefki. If you want to use it has dual screen support then i suggest you have it hold Light Clay instead the the plate.

I would do something like this for it:

Klefki
    @ Light Clay
    Impish
    Prankster
    252 HP/ 252 Def./ 4 Sp.Def

Reflect
    Light Screen
    Play Rough/ Dazzling Gleam
    Protect

Dazzling Gleam hits both targets in a double battle i believe, so it is worth considering.

If you are considering Smeargle here i would run something like this

@ Focus Sash
    Jolly
    252 HP/252 Speed/4 Def.

Spore
    Fake Out
    Taunt/ Helping Hand
    Protect

Last edited:

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I noticed that you stated that Talonflame goes for a one hit ko or a big chunk of damage. What comes to my mind about that is Doublade. Doublade has the ability No Guard, which makes sure all attacks land on the opponent, but all attacks from the opponent will land on Doublade. Taking advantage of this will take some skill, as Doublade's weaknesses are Ground, Ghost, Fire, and Dark. Doublade features a good base value for Defense (150) and Attack (110). However, the rest of the stats are lower, with the HP being 59, Sp. Atk. being 45, Sp. Def. being 49, and Speed being at 35. In order to effectively use this Pokemon, you need to buff its HP and Sp. Def., in order for Doublade to be able to have a chance against those Special Sweepers. Recommendable natures could be either Calm or Gentle, while both boost Special Defence, Calm lowers Attack and Gentle lowers Defence. A great item for Doublade would definitely be a Maranga berry, which increases its Special Defence when hit by a Special move. Here's a good moveset:

Automotize: To increase speed & make Pokemon nimble
    Shadow Claw: 70 Power Ghost move with high crit-hit ratio
    Brick Break: Breaks any barriers thrown up by enemy team, 75 Power Fighting-type move
    Confide- Lowers target's Sp. Atk.

Hope this helps.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    I noticed that you stated that Talonflame goes for a one hit ko or a big chunk of damage. What comes to my mind about that is Doublade. Doublade has the ability No Guard, which makes sure all attacks land on the opponent, but all attacks from the opponent will land on Doublade. Taking advantage of this will take some skill, as Doublade's weaknesses are Ground, Ghost, Fire, and Dark. Doublade features a good base value for Defense (150) and Attack (110). However, the rest of the stats are lower, with the HP being 59, Sp. Atk. being 45, Sp. Def. being 49, and Speed being at 35. In order to effectively use this Pokemon, you need to buff its HP and Sp. Def., in order for Doublade to be able to have a chance against those Special Sweepers. Recommendable natures could be either Calm or Gentle, while both boost Special Defence, Calm lowers Attack and Gentle lowers Defence. A great item for Doublade would definitely be a Maranga berry, which increases its Special Defence when hit by a Special move. Here's a good moveset:

Automotize: To increase speed & make Pokemon nimble
    Shadow Claw: 70 Power Ghost move with high crit-hit ratio
    Brick Break: Breaks any barriers thrown up by enemy team, 75 Power Fighting-type move
    Confide- Lowers target's Sp. Atk.

Hope this helps.
    Honestly, Doublade is too weak to survive any special attacks. The only viable item for it would be the Eviolite, due to its NFE status. And the only move it can abuse with No Guard is Fury Cutter ;~;

Calm and Gentle is also a bad idea, both lowering its strong points. Go with Adamant or Brave (if you're using Gyro Ball).

Also, your recommended set, sadly, isn't pretty usable. Its Speed is too low to boost, Shadow Claw is okay, but to cover up its Speed, Shadow Sneak does the job. Scared Sword is way than better Brick Break. Last move may be Iron Head or Gyro Ball.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brenndan - Stick with the other suggestions and you're okay. Golduck is a bad idea imo. If weather is up, you could build another team to take advantage of it. It's also weak and its damage output is generally outclassed.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • Wow, I totally forgot about Shadow Sneak. -_- However, it is an Egg move, I believe.

Honedge actually learns Shadow Sneak around level 20.

EDIT: If you are interested in another Prankster ability lead, then consider Sableye.

Sableye
    Prankster
    Careful
    @ leftovers
    252 HP/ 4 Def/ 4 Sp.Def

Fake out
    Will o Wisp
    Shadow Sneak
    Recover

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Honedge actually learns Shadow Sneak around level 20.

EDIT: If you are interested in another Prankster ability lead, then consider Sableye.

Sableye
    Prankster
    Careful
    @ leftovers
    252 HP/ 4 Def/ 4 Sp.Def

Fake out
    Will o Wisp
    Shadow Sneak
    Recover
    Sableye is too weak to abuse offensive priority attacks. It's better off sticking to support moves only:
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover
    -Foul Play/Confide/Night Shade
    EVs: 248 HP/188 Def/72 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks a lot guys! I actually changed my Klefki to run thunder wave, swagger, protect, and dazzling gleam. I liked the idea of Gastrodon as the six man thanks for that.
    Is running surf instead of hydro pump on Rotom Viable? I keep getting in situations with where I could double KO with a spread move but he doesn't have it. I do like hydro pump though because it is so much stronger. I'll post EV spreads and new move sets once I finish some homework.

Okay so this the modified list:
    Klefki@Left Overs
    Prankster: Modest
    252spD/ 252 Def / 4hp
    -Thunder Wave
    -Swagger
    -Protect
    -Dazzling Gleam

Rotom Wash@ I don't know the item yet. I'm not feeling a choice item on him.
    Levitate: Modest
    252spA/ 252 spe / 4 spD
    -Thunder Bolt
    -Whill-O-Whisp
    -Hydro Pump
    -Trick/ Protect

Kangaskhan@ Mega stone
    Scrappy: Adamant
    4hp/ 252 atk/ 252 Spe
    -Fake Out
    -Power Up Punch
    -Sucker Punch
    -Earthquake

Volcarona@lumberry or shuca berry
    Flame Body: Timid
    4 hp/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    -Quiver dance
    -Heat Wave
    -Protect
    -Bug Buzz
    Talonflame@ Sitrus Berry
    Adamant: Gale Wing
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Flame Charge
    - Protect/ Taunt/ Acrobatics

Gastrodon@ Sitruss berry
    Storm Drain: Bold
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Muddy Water
    Ice Beam
    Toxic
    Recover

I still need better items on them I think. I'll breed the right natures and abilities and EV train the team today and test tonight and tell you guys how it's working. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • Talonflame definitely wants Flare Blitz over Flame Charge.

for items i would do this:

Kelfki- Leftovers
    Rotom-W - Expert Belt/ Chesto Berry
    Kangaskhan - Mega Stone
    Volcarona- Shuca Berry/ Life orb/ focus sash
    Talonflame- Life orb/Lum Berry
    Gastrodon - Sitrus Berry

I'm suggesting the Expert belt on Rotom because it allows it to hit those bulky rock/ground and waters extra hard. The chesto berry option is in case you decide to go the bulky Roto-W route, whihc eneables it to use rest and go up to full health and wake up

Focus sash on Volcarona is to ensure it survives a hit, and you have protect to stop it form getting hit with the Fake out to keep your stash in tact. Life orb is an option for more power, but i kinda like it on Talonflame more to ensure KO's. The Lum berry on Talonflame is to ensure it cant be crippled from moves like Spore.

Sitrus Berry on Gastrodon helps it to keep its Bulkyness a little better.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Awesome thanks!
    That really sucks about Rotom not learning surf.
    I'm trying those item sets now

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Klefki is taunt bait, I really suggest you put a offensive move on it. Secondly, are you doing flat battles or open battles? Flat battles won't let you bring two of the same item in. Open battles are fine but you'll need to train your entire team to level 100 (I think).

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I'm doing WiFi rating battles at the moment but my friend and I are training to go to a VGC in a couple months so I'm going to stick with just using one item. My Klefki knows dazzling gleam in case of a taunt.

Back