• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Dates

The ideal first date? (initiated by you or date, assuming you are interested)

• Kiss on the date.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No kiss on the date.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Greet with a hug.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No greet with a hug.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Greet with a handshake only.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Do not greet with a handshake only.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
    Years
    Share your experiences of first dates.

Past Experiences? (Where did you go, what did you do, the good, the bad, what did you wear)

Ideal First Date? (that you want to plan or have planned for you.)

Handshake, Hug, Kiss? (How and when)

I'm going on a first date for the first time in a while. This is a rare high-quality guy, very much "my type", AND he loves pokemon, so I asked him out (met on online dating site). Now I am planning the date, and hope to come across as confident and thoughtful. Basically, I want to be a non-hopeless kind of romantic ;)

I plan to:
    Take him to a French restaurant. It's Quaint, charming, and not pretentious.
    Greet with a quick pat hug, maybe the handshake + light hug combo.
    Order a bottle of wine. Offer to Pay.
    Walk him home. Then, if it feels right, land the kiss.
    If all goes well suggest a next date idea. (relating to some mutual interest)

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Past Experiences?
    haha
    Ideal First Date?
    I'm not much of a talker, so maybe some sort of activity on the first date, save the romantic dinner date for later (totally not bashing your plans, you do what works for you). In my small town that probably means bowling but I guess I'm fine with that lol
    Handshake, Hug, Kiss?
    It'd prob be an awkward handshake if I'm meeting them for the first time or whatever, but if there's been a lot of prior communication I'd say a hug is probably fine. At the end of the date I'd say a kiss means it went well, but who initiates it well that's beyond me

oh, good luck on the date!

Years
    Past Experiences?
    haha
    Ideal First Date?
    I'm not much of a talker, so maybe some sort of activity on the first date, save the romantic dinner date for later (totally not bashing your plans, you do what works for you). In my small town that probably means bowling but I guess I'm fine with that lol
    Handshake, Hug, Kiss?
    It'd prob be an awkward handshake if I'm meeting them for the first time or whatever, but if there's been a lot of prior communication I'd say a hug is probably fine. At the end of the date I'd say a kiss means it went well, but who initiates it well that's beyond me

oh, good luck on the date!

Thanks!

I know, I was on the fence about the dinner thing. But I found out that asking someone out works much better if you describe what you will be doing, or so I was told. Apparently, you can be aggressive, suggest a date, be a bit specific without going overboard, and it's a turn on. So, to be safe I didn't suggest an activity, but I can see how a mutual interest could be a good 1st date.

I find the whole dating scene to be bizarre, but honesty without over sharing seems to be working out fine.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    My 'date' could just give me money and food, then gtfo my sight. Score.

That only works if you're hot.

I've never been on a date. All the girls I've been with were either at a party, or I thought we were just friends and then I got kissed. I don't have any image from what I would want to do on a date, it's weird to think about. Well, I'll figure it out one day. I probably like a kiss on the first date. Depends on how much I like the girl at the end of it, haha.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    Past Experiences?
    Well... with my ex we met at shcool so we already have talk and know a bit each other, we chat... then we got out in town, just took a walk.. He took my hand, we talked... At some point we kissed. But Like I said, we already know each other.
    With my actual boyfriend, we met at college, but we didn't really know each other because he wasn'T a bit talker and he was shy ^_^ A lot of our friends push things togheter, so it is not an usual start.
    Our first date, he brings me to my favorite restaurant (for sushi) even if he never tried sushi before! We talked, wanted to know each other. Another night we watched a movie at my home. We kissed this time (but we already kissed before all our dates because we were drunk in a party...)
    soo yep. All my stories are different than your, but hey, restaurant worked!! The big difference is that I knew my dates before we actually date.

Restaurant or a coffee shop!! I love to eat lol. A place you can talk, but I love to talk... It is really up to you and your date.
    Maybe you can ask him what he would like?
    If you don't really want to talk tht much, there is a movie. You can talk after the movie.

Hum. For my experience I already knew the guys so a Handshake would be a bit awkward XD But yuo met online so it can be appropriate.
    Hug, why not?
    Kiss, I won't really like to be kissed the first date from someone I don'T really know, but this is IMO.

I wish you good luck and to have fun! ;)

Years
    Honestly I've not done much of the actual "dating" thing, most of the time I never really planned things with girlfriends as a date, we just went to the same spot.

My first proper date ever was pretty lame, I met her at her place (there was kissing etc which I admit I definitely had no expected at that point) and then we spent a few hours out by this lake and then I walked her home.

My first real date with my current SO was much more important to me and I feel like it was much more... well-executed(?). I met her and her family near my place and hung out with them for a bit, from there we headed off closer to her place and got dropped off at the shops on the way. We spent a little while there which constituted of her practically sprinting around window-shopping in an effort to prevent me from spending any more money on her (I'd brought a box of nice chocolates with me because I'm a walking cliche). Then we spent a few hours relaxing at a nearby park before going back to her place where I met the rest of her family before we went out to a nice little restaurant for dinner. I paid for the dinner (she tried to talk me out of it but has long since learned that I love spoiling her). Then we waited to get picked up (because neither of us can drive without supervision yet) and she snuggled up to me because she's afraid of the dark. I got dropped off at home and kissed her good night.

I may have skipped a few details, we'd actually been a couple for quite a while before actually going out on an official date. It's one of my fondest memories, especially that last part.

If there's one thing I have learned, it's that what you do really depends on the person but that the person you're dating will probably appreciate the effort.

That covers everything I think really, I will say this though. I'd definitely go for that kiss at the end, it makes it clear that it's a romantic relationship and not two friends out at dinner and really sets the tone for what you want in the relationship.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Dates? What the bloody hell are those?!

Past Experiences? (Where did you go, what did you do, the good, the bad, what did you wear)

I've never been on a date before in my whole life. Thus, I've no past experiences.
    My ideal first date is one that'll never happen, as I see romantic relationships as little more than a shackle that I don't need.

Not applicable. See above for why.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't even remember anymore what I did for dates with my boyfriends or like what the first date was?

I had a dinner and a movie first date once and I hated it. We ended up getting high before the movie and I took that as my cue to totally zone out during the movie. Another time I had a lunch date and the moment we started talking I just knew it wasn't going to work. Very boring guy. Gave me a handshake when we met... I was just like wtf??? Paid for my meal though so it was a win on my part. I've met up with guys but it was just meeting up, not a date.

I think an ideal date for me is when where I'm just comfortable and we talk easily and laugh. I don't really care what we're doing. I've had a lot more fun just meeting guys and talking than any dates I've gone on.

umm I've been handshaked once and that was the biggest turn off of my life. So preferably never do that with me. Hugs and kisses are fine, idk I don't get the whole big thing around kissing on the first date.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    For my first day, my current girlfriend and I went and saw 22 Jump Street. Ironically, both of us had seen the movie before our date without knowing the other person had seen it, so we were just trying to please the other one. We had ourselves a good laugh when after the movie we both found out that the either had already watched the movie.

Fastforward 8 months and I couldn't be happier; love this gal to death.
    Spoiler:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Share your experiences of first dates.
    I don't really have much to say about most of my dates. Most consisted of going to a hookah lounge and drinking. So I'll just go into detail about the first date I had with my boyfriend and best friend!

Our first time hanging out consisted of going to a hookah lounge, which was my idea because I didn't know what else to do, that was all I really did socially at the time. He didn't have any other ideas ;( I showed him League of Legends, we talked about movies and politics, and enjoyed each others company. Then we went to his place to watch a movie(I believe it was Reservoir Dogs), and well. (i dont usually have sex on the first date, or i hadnt until then). I think on our second date, we went to see Iron Man 3.

We kiss whenever the heck we want. When we're cooking, talking, whenever. When we're watching TV, if there's an arm within reach, it's gonna get kissed randomly. As far as PDA goes, we don't do that. We actually forget to do that, because we play a game when we're around people. We bicker at each other in public just to see peoples reactions, or ignore the other people entirely.

Years
    Update: I made reservations and apparently now my date thinks I am chivalrous? Not a bad start, except maybe the expectation is higher.

Also thanks for sharing everyone as well.

Reactions: Her
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    It depends person to person. Once, this girl and I just walked around the mall for a few hours. Me talking, her overly-shy self just smiling and nodding. We dated for 3 years. I went on a few others, but again, they were all different.

Me? As long as we can talk to each other, it's a good first date.

Back