• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First game always better?

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Doesn't it seem like the game that they say first has better pokemon "Ex: Fire Red, in Fire Red Leaf Green". The "Second" game always seems to suck. I was younger when i got LG and Sapphire but I got my head out of my arse by the time I got Diamond
    Seriously, lets break it down.
    Exclusives and counterparts (well, some of them)
    Ekans, Arbok/ FR
    Sandshrew/Sandslash-LG
    (Agatha's arbok is a BEAST, Sandslash is laughably weak)
    Oddish Line (FR) VS Bellsprout Line (LG)
    (Vileplume is a good Pokemon, so is Bellossom, but Bellsprout is ugly and weak, Oddish is actually popular and cute, Victreebell has green acne, Bellsprout and its evos shouldn't even be Pokemon)
    Growlithe/Arcanine (FR) Vs. Vulpix/Ninetales
    This one pisses me off a lot, arcanine is fast and powerful, Vulpix learns weak attacks, Gary and Blaine both have powerful Arcanines and I am stuck with Ninetales, come on!
    Scyther/Scizor (FR) Vs. Pinsir (LG)
    This is a no-decision, Scyther is faster, cooler and has an evolution, pinsir is plain fugly and looks like some kid got trapped in a costume and fell in a thorn bush, at least give that thing an evo.
    --------------------------Ruby/Sapphire
    Seedot Line/Lotad Line
    Don't even get me started, Seedot is cute and learns a variety of attacks before evolving into a really sick looking Pokemon, shiftry. Lotad looks like a duck with some mental illness and ludicolo looks like a stoned reggae pinnaple!

Seviper/Zangoose

Zangoose looks BA, if I wanted a Snake Pokemon, I could go catch Arbok (oh thats right I can't, picked LG), they've never had a mongoose before and they throw the crappy pokemon that should evolve from ekans (branch) on Sapphire players

Groudon/Kyogre

I guess this is sort of fair because Kyogore has an advantage against groudon, but its a whale (and I can go catch teh wailmers if I wantz won) while Groudon is some devil beast destroy thing, and the biggest Pokemon in existance.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Diamond/Pearl

I picked Diamond this time, suckers

Cranidos/Shieldon

Well, since I have Platinum I can say shieldon sucks, it has absolutely no offense, plus Cranidos looks 8x cooler and learns far more powerful attacks, even if its other stats are bad at least it doesn't stand there, and wtf is bastiodon's head suposed to be, a window with teeth :P

Murkrow/Misdreavus

Okay, well from fighting Fantina I know Mismagius isn't TERRIBLE, but its defintely not as BA as Honchkrow. Sure Misdreavus is cuter, but has horrible attack and defence whereas honchkrow is more balanced

Dialga/Palkia

No its not the fact that Dialga is way cooler, its just that Dialga has a steel hyper beam while palkia has some cheap dragon earth quake, special rend is it?
    I just think controlling space makes it sound like a game for 5 year olds?

Is the first game always better, you decide?

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • WOAH, Obviously you dont know how to battle, almost all of those "second games" have better pokemon for battling, HYPER BEAM SUCKS EQ ROCKS

second games? they are a pair, they are just most commonly paired together like that, but they are pairs

Learn to play pokemon, then post again

Years
  • Actually, that's merely a matter of opinion. I've ALWAYS gotten the "second" game in the pair first. There is no difference other than which Pokemon you catch, and you can trade with a friend if there's a Pokemon from the other game that you want. (b'-')b

biancafanboy

Pokemon master
    Years
  • As far as I'm concerned pokemon games will just get better and better as they go. Even when the show is done they'll be able to make new games, just using the same pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It's all really a matter of opinion I think. In Red, you can get Growlithe/Arcanine, but not Magmar. There are version exclusives we like and don't like. Also, Black and White will break the "exact same game" barrier with the version exclusive dungeons. I know no more than that though, as I'm avoiding spoilers.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • As far as I'm concerned pokemon games will just get better and better as they go. Even when the show is done they'll be able to make new games, just using the same pokemon.

You're very much missing the point of this thread I believe, also you lose 9001 credibility points as a pokemon fan for implying that the anime dictates the games instead of the other way around. >_<

OP is talking about the first game named when we refer to the colloquial name for the paired games, i.e., Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, etc...

I've personally always got the second game personally, (Blue, Sapphire, Pearl), and with the exception of the Glameow/Stunky tradeoff, I very much prefer the version exclusives for the secondary games than the primary games. :P

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    WOAH, Obviously you dont know how to battle, almost all of those "second games" have better pokemon for battling, HYPER BEAM SUCKS EQ ROCKS

second games? they are a pair, they are just most commonly paired together like that, but they are pairs

Learn to play pokemon, then post again

well for tactical battling in the metagame i guess they are but In the actual game, the first ones are better and you think Victreebell is better than Vileplume????

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • well for tactical battling in the metagame i guess they are but In the actual game, the first ones are better and you think Victreebell is better than Vileplume????

From a competitive standpoint, Victreebel and Vileplume are about equally bad in regards to doing what they do best, Victreebel in sweeping and Vileplume in supporting. Because they're made to do different things though, it's hard to properly compare them. I personally like Victreebel myself. Its design is so much cooler than Vileplume's, plus as a sweeper, it's a lot easier to use in-game than Vilplume

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • From a competitive standpoint, Victreebel and Vileplume are about equally bad in regards to doing what they do best, Victreebel in sweeping and Vileplume in supporting. Because they're made to do different things though, it's hard to properly compare them. I personally like Victreebel myself. Its design is so much cooler than Vileplume's, plus as a sweeper, it's a lot easier to use in-game than Vilplume

Basically that. It's hard to compare some of the version exclusives, such as Purugly and Skuntank. Personally, I think Pearl got pretty ripped off on that trade off. :/ And then there's the Skarmoy/Gligar thing. I don't think either of them were really used much prior to generation IV (however Gligar now evolves, so I don't know if you can really compare them anymore). But like I said, this is really all up to personal preference.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    I don't really think one is better than the other. It all depends on which pokemon you prefer. I usually get whatever one my brother doesn't get.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    From a competitive standpoint, Victreebel and Vileplume are about equally bad in regards to doing what they do best, Victreebel in sweeping and Vileplume in supporting. Because they're made to do different things though, it's hard to properly compare them. I personally like Victreebel myself. Its design is so much cooler than Vileplume's, plus as a sweeper, it's a lot easier to use in-game than Vilplume

well there's Bellossom (NU hooray!) also so that's two evo options, and come on victreebell is so UGLY

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
  • I've always gone for the "second" game. Mostly because when I was little my much cooler best friend always got the first one because she thought it was the best and then said that I should get the second :D

I must say that I prefer Blue to Red, and still do after playing them through. Same with Gold and Silver.

Better Pokemon to be found in Blue and Silver IMO

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've owned the 2nd version for both sets of remakes, although I know have HeartGold.

I got Diamond, and it does seem better than Pearl.

However....I think the 3rd Version (Crystal,Emerald,Platinum) is better, generally. Although Platinum missed out on Murkrow, which annoyed me.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I really don't agree with this. I usually choose the game that I think sounds best (Blue, Silver, Sapphire, FireRed, Diamond, SoulSilver). Anyways, the chance that I use a version-exclusive is rare. Also, the third game is always best. And for Black and White, I'm choosing White because of Rankurusu.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've tended to go with the second game in the pair (Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Leaf Green, Pearl, Soul Silver). Personally, I've liked the version exclusives in the second game better for whatever reason.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I've owned the 2nd version for both sets of remakes, although I know have HeartGold.

I got Diamond, and it does seem better than Pearl.

However....I think the 3rd Version (Crystal,Emerald,Platinum) is better, generally. Although Platinum missed out on Murkrow, which annoyed me.

well the 3rd game should be always better if they have to charge us 35 bucks for a game that we basically already have but I meant between the two games

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Not really. One's "best" is what they consider to be version exclusives and the overall design of the game. My main game for each series so far has been:

Red (1 out of 3)
    Gold (1 out of 3)
    Sapphire (2 out of 3)
    FireRed (1 out of 2)
    Platinum (3 out of 3)
    HeartGold (1 out of 2)

If you get my meaning, I just went with the game I preferred the look of and usually preferred the version exclusives available to me. In the case of Gold, I also preferred its sprites to Silver.

Although technically, the third game would normally be considered the best, due to the additions it has in comparison to the first two versions.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • I don't think there's a pattern, just a preference. Like my fav's were:

I: R
    II: G
    III: S,FR
    IV: D, SS

This is just of the first 2 because I liked the 3rd version better in all of them. (Y,C,E,Pt)

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    The version exclusives hardly matter, especially if you have friends who can trade with you.

I usually end up getting the game my friend doesn't anyway.

Back