• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First impressions gone wrong

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Ever have those moments when you meet new people and talk to them, but their first impression of you goes completely wrong because of something you said or did?

Among my friends, I'm known as a very kind and respectful person. However there are days when I meet new people and get nervous and end up saying something that was taken the wrong way. It's either a misunderstanding because my intentions weren't clear enough, or something dumb slips out of my mouth that unknowingly offended the person.

Like one time I was speaking to a girl in my senior English class in 2012. I was telling her about how I like to sleep with the air conditioner on because bulky blankets feel comfortable. However I was unaware that she was a big environmentalist and she got mad at me for wasting energy. So instead of being known as a kind and respectful person, I was known as an energy waster. x.x

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2015
    In one of my first classes in a new university, one of the people I had just met asked me if I would help her with moving a seat and I was confused why she needed help. I said "why do you need me to do that?" and she got kind of sheepish and moved the seat herself and then I saw that she was wearing a big brace on one leg I hadn't noticed due to the way we were sitting. I felt like a jerk about it, haha.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Okay, so I'm meeting a really really high-up guy in my company. We weren't supposed to meet him, but his secretary/right-hand woman squeezed us in at the very last minute, along with other nice things she did. So we walk up and shake hands.

Him: "Thanks so much for coming!"
    Me: "Oh, well this is all thanks to [secretary]. She really helped us out."
    Him: "....how?"
    Me: "Uh...she...set this up?"

Then long, awkward pause. Ouch.

Years
  • First impressions in person always go wrong with me, because if it's an adult, I am very quiet and very awkward with conversation, and if it's someone around my age, I get eccentric and unpredictable. Urrgh.

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • I just suck with first impressions in general. I get all awkward and then I feel like the other person feels awkward because of how awkward I am and ughhh. >////>

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • once I approached a girl and for some reason I got really flustered (think it was because I had to do this quickly and efficiently because I was leaving soon) and the first word I said to her was 'listen' and I think I came off really authoritative and Business-Like even though that is not who I am. but I got her number anyway. it didn't work out.

REALFireEagle

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I get these all the time when I meet new people. It also has to do with my own impressions and style of clothing. Some people think I'm in a gang or one of the richest people ever, haha. Even though I always like to dress and act one level higher than the real me I always get a great first impression, while being myself.

Even also with this my friends say I have an alter-ego that suffers from MPD, multiple personality disorder, haha.

Years
  • I used to be really self-conscious about this kind of thing when I was younger but now I could care less. Some people aren't gonna like me. Big deal. What's more important are the people that do like me and care about me. I tend to come across as very aloof and disinterested, mostly because I zone out all the time and I don't really get that invested in other people until I have a reason to be. Not a positive first impression per se, but I have all the friends I need so I'm not exactly suffering from it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • No particular instance stands out to me, but in general I unravel and warm up to someone slowly overtime. I'm not simply 'on' upon first meeting. You'll likely just get a 'hi' out of me, until later on.

Which isn't to say once I talk you in a more friendly way that I'm fond of you, it's more that I've observed you and interacted enough that I have an idea of how to act back. So, with that missing... I don't have a whole lot to say at first

Back