• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Impressions of the New Region?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    @ first glance, it's already my favorite region visually (with Kanto and Hoenn right there), I just love the whole tropical vibe sooo much

Years
  • It looks... small. I definitely feel like they're holding something out on us. If you look at images of the island taken from the trailer, there's maybe 3, 4 cities on the whole thing. Unless they're scrapping the whole 8-Gyms concept, there's definitely more - either other islands, or it's connected to another region. That was my first thought. I do like the little stage area where the starters are introduced, it looks like a little pokemon batttle arena and I love it!

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I love it, it gives me vibes of Kalos and Unova... One thing I was hoping for was to have the hometown in the east again, like Johto.

Years
  • I love how it's the first fully tropical region (Hoenn was close but it was more of a mixture of different elements of nature) and as someone who lives in a country of a hot climate, it's definitely something to get excited about. I also feel the atmosphere is a combination of Hoenn and Unova.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • I liked the 'speculation' of multiple islands. If so, I hope they are full of places to explore. I don't really mind if its tropical or polar, I just want a bigger region compared to the others

Years
  • Loving what we've seen so far. Just from the map of the one island we've seen, there seems to be a lot more branching paths and interconnection between areas, which is something I've wanted so much after Unova and Kalos being so linear.

I get the vibe we'll be travelling to multiple islands. I don't think it's likely at all, but imo it'd be cool if we could choose the order of some of the islands we visit.

Years
  • I like that it will (probably) have several different islands to visit. I'm hoping that they'll find a way to keep the tropical feeling for most of it without having it all look and feel same-y. What we've seen of the region so far (one island) has a sort of generic tropical island feel to it and I expect to see something more complex and creative.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I love it! I do like Hoenn a bit but not my favorite region. I feel like this one is an improve version of Hoenn. I wish we don't have as much water as we did with Hoenn...

Years
  • Compared to the other regions, this one has a very Pacific Island feel, which is an almost refreshing change from what I've been playing so far in Pokemon. Starters, I'm liking Rowlet (even though I think that it's final evolution will look ab-so-lute-ly terrifying) but not as much Popplio. Alola appears small, but I think that maybe the trainer will be able to travel to other islands, maybe even "hidden" ones with the help of the Legendaries. Speaking of them, I love Pokemon Moon's Legendary - now I know what game I'm getting. Its attack animation was great and it looks like it has this deep deep backstory.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Hoenn Part Deux. :rolleyes2:

Okay, that's a tad harsh, but I was really hoping for something that WASN'T yet another isolated reboot region with zero connections to any of the others. Especially, another one that's tropical and will likely have a confusing, HM-laden map and be 70% water routes.

And, it looks like we've got yet another Warring Legendary Trio, but this time in control of space/the sky instead of weather. Wanna bet that we'll also have competing Brand New Evil Teams who want to use the Solgaleo/Lunaala to take over the world? Or, an all-new Pokédex that's 80% comprised of obvious expies/replacements for older Pokémon, with only a very few of the older ones available before the postgame? Or, no cameos or even acknowledgement of characters from previous games besides Looker and Cynthia? Or, no postgame besides contests and a battle facility?

I get that Masuda considers RSE to be his "baby" (since they were the very first games he directed), but that formula has been beaten to death for far too long now, and it's driving the franchise into the ground, IMO. I was hoping to see something different (like XY sequels in the vein of GSC), especially for the big 20th Anniversary, and instead, it looks like we're just getting a tired Hoenn retread (and so soon after a literal Hoenn retread, at that). Very disappointing, and it has sadly killed a lot of my enthusiasm for these games. :(

blue

gucci
    Years
  • First impressions is that I'm loving how colourful everything looks. I had an idea that it would be a tropical Region once the hints about a Hawaiin based Region started pouring in. If the rest of the Region (or islands) are anything like we've just seen then I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest!

deathpool

Hopeless Cole Stan
    Years
  • Hoenn Part Deux. :rolleyes2:

Okay, that's a tad harsh, but I was really hoping for something that WASN'T yet another isolated reboot region with zero connections to any of the others. Especially, another one that's tropical and will likely have a confusing, HM-laden map and be 70% water routes.

And, it looks like we've got yet another Warring Legendary Trio, but this time in control of space/the sky instead of weather. Wanna bet that we'll also have competing Brand New Evil Teams who want to use the Solgaleo/Lunaala to take over the world? Or, an all-new Pokédex that's 80% comprised of obvious expies/replacements for older Pokémon, with only a very few of the older ones available before the postgame? Or, no cameos or even acknowledgement of characters from previous games besides Looker and Cynthia? Or, no postgame besides contests and a battle facility?

Imma have to disagree with you on the "isolated region with no connections to previous gens".
    1. 20th anniversary, they have to do something
    2. Japanese S/M trailer follow a boy dressed the same as the male player in the game. He moves from Japan to Hawaii and is seen playing Gen 1 on the plane. If you notice in the gameplay, the player character is basically the only white person in Alola (who are all tanned, etc). This is just speculation as well, but I'm willing to bet that the player character is visiting the region from either Kanto or South Kalos.
    3. The map of Alola released is small, only about three or four towns on it. I speculate that we will return to the player character's home region for either the climax of the story or the postgame.
    4. Half of Kalos hasn't even been revealed yet. Zygarde hasn't had anything to do in the game stories yet, we are getting a Zygarde movie featuring all the new legendaries, around the same time as Sun/Moon are released. I'm betting that Zygarde is the trio master of the S/M legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    1. 20th anniversary, they have to do something

What if GF feels like they already did that with the RBY re-release (and compatibility with SM)? Sure, it's more than they did for the 10th Anniversary (which had nothing but the all-new DP), but it's still somewhat disappointing.

2. Japanese S/M trailer follow a boy dressed the same as the male player in the game. He moves from Japan to Hawaii and is seen playing Gen 1 on the plane. If you notice in the gameplay, the player character is basically the only white person in Alola (who are all tanned, etc). This is just speculation as well, but I'm willing to bet that the player character is visiting the region from either Kanto or South Kalos.

RS introduced its protagonists as having moved from Johto to Hoenn, and those games weren't exactly filled to the brim with references and direct connections to GSC, were they?

3. The map of Alola released is small, only about three or four towns on it. I speculate that we will return to the player character's home region for either the climax of the story or the postgame.

It may happen, but why base the region on Hawaii if you want to do that?

I'm betting that Zygarde is the trio master of the S/M legendaries.

Nope. Zygarde is only the Trio Master of Xerneas and Yveltal. Based on a leaked trademark, Solgaleo and Lunaala will have a brand new one named Marshadow.

In other words, Zygarde's story seems to be over, even though it hasn't even been told. (Remember than anime movies aren't considered game canon.)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Personally I find it pretty tropical for a region that I like it a lot, and somewhat have a Hawaii vibe in it, and that some part of the region reminds me of those in Oblivia region of Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs.

Years
  • [/B]In other words, Zygarde's story seems to be over, even though it hasn't even been told. (Remember than anime movies aren't considered game canon.)

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but I haven't given up on Pokémon Z becoming a thing.

Just think about it. Yeah, usually we'd expect the sequel to happen around now, but this is the 20th anniversary year. That deserves a new region, new pokemon, new story. I know I wouldn't have been happy with Z being the 20th anniversary game, that's for sure - I'd feel somewhat cheated in my loyalty to the franchise!
    There are indeed a lot of loose ends in Kalos, and unless Sun and Moon will takes us back there (even if just in post-game), they almost have to make Z a thing.

--------
    My first impression of the region is a resounding "YES!". Which has everything to do with a parallel with my own life; I recently moved from Europe to a tropical island, the exact same thing the protagonist seems to be doing (though unless he's from Kalos, not from Europe xD). I'm not in Hawaii, but just the fact that it's a tropical island is enough to make me feel more connected with the region than I have with any other (Kalos being the closest so far, being based on a country I spent many a summer vacation in!). I really can't wait for the games!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    My first impression?

"...There's going to be a loooooooooooot of surfing."

xD

Years
  • I think it's going to be good. I really liked the tropical coloring/feel of Hoenn (Kalos felt really devoid of color/bland to me) and I'm hoping this is kind of close to that feeling. I'm definitely on the "multiple islands" train, and I hope they manage to make the region much more substantial then Kalos was (Kalos was one of the worse regions imo); I like having a lot of places to see/explore, especially after I beat the E4

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but I haven't given up on Pokémon Z becoming a thing.

Just think about it. Yeah, usually we'd expect the sequel to happen around now, but this is the 20th anniversary year. That deserves a new region, new pokemon, new story. I know I wouldn't have been happy with Z being the 20th anniversary game, that's for sure - I'd feel somewhat cheated in my loyalty to the franchise!
    There are indeed a lot of loose ends in Kalos, and unless Sun and Moon will takes us back there (even if just in post-game), they almost have to make Z a thing.

I want Z (or sequels) to happen, myself, but SM are pretty obviously Gen 7. We have brand new Pokémon and a brand new region, after all. Why would GF suddenly go back and release a new Gen 6 game after releasing the first of Gen 7?

My ideal 20th Anniversary game would've been sequels, like a GSC-style sequel to XY. We'd still have new Pokémon and a new region, but we'd also have connections to the old (as well as the bonus of tying up loose ends in Kalos). It would've been a much-welcome break from the general formula the games have been following since RSE, and a new multiregion game is something that fans have been clamoring to see for years now (like, basically ever since RS first came out).

Back