• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Impressions of the New Region?

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I like it! But I do have to say, at first when it was shown, I instantly thought to my self 'Wow that's a small region!' But there will be more.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I like what I've seen so far, though like everyone else, I hope we'll get additional islands. Extra islands do make sense this time, with the Hawaii theme, so they wouldn't surprise me, but time will tell. I really doubt they'll move away from the eight badge concept, and it doesn't look like there are eight towns there, so there should be additional places to explore, hopefully. So long as the mainstream games don't suddenly start making us buy DLC to access other islands, it should work well.

I'm excited about the tropical theme. I thought I would be sick of it after Hoenn (Hoenn has always been one of my least favorite regions, though it's grown on my in ORAS), but it feels more fully fleshed-out this time, so I'm excited about it. I wouldn't mind a 3D version of a more wooded, colder region at some point, too, but the palm trees look good, and Hawaii has a lot of really diverse environments, so I'm hoping we'll get to see those as we play through.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Am I the only one here who isn't really fan of the sequels? I mean, if we have them then okay I'll play it, but I am happier with a new region than an old region(this doesn't mean I don't want to see two region connecting, C/G/S are my favorite games after all).

I find the graphics a bit... I dunno, many pixels showing off? I thought I'll see an improve version of the 3D but it doesn't really seems like it. I didn't realized at first but now I do see it.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Am I the only one here who isn't really fan of the sequels? I mean, if we have them then okay I'll play it, but I am happier with a new region than an old region(this doesn't mean I don't want to see two region connecting, C/G/S are my favorite games after all).

I find the graphics a bit... I dunno, many pixels showing off? I thought I'll see an improve version of the 3D but it doesn't really seems like it. I didn't realized at first but now I do see it.

The 3DS came out in 2011, and it wasn't cutting-edge technology back then. There's only so much they can do without running into (more) performance issues and memory constraints, plus the display resolution is less than a quarter that of a smartphone today.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • The 3DS came out in 2011, and it wasn't cutting-edge technology back then. There's only so much they can do without running into (more) performance issues and memory constraints, plus the display resolution is less than a quarter that of a smartphone today.

True, I tend to forgot how old the 3DS is!
    I mean, I am a fan of 2D, so it doesn't really bother me that much. I forget how the graphics looks like when I play a game I like. But I realized that we had a big change of graphics in GEN 4 to GEN5, and then GEN5 to GEN6, so maybe I was expecting another big change, you know.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2017
    I'm just going to throw it out there, my very first thought upon watching was that it looked kinda bland or washed out. Like there was a filter on the whole trailer. It looks really good, but not as polished as i thought it would be. Still very excited and cannot wait to play, but I'm hoping for more visual beauty, (like the legendaries!!!)

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I hope this region is full and has many places to explore (even in the post game)...

Kalos felt... Empty and as much of an enjoyable region it was, it's almost forgettable, due to the fact it lacked a proper post game, even Unova's post-game was better. There's so much they can add to Alola and I hope they add a lot. I don't want to finish this game in less than a week (like I did with Black, White 2 and X), I want to find new areas and feel excited.

I do hope the city we saw in the trailer isn't Alola's answer to Castelia City and Lumiose City, it's way too small.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I didn't think this thread would procure so much feedback. Every time another day passes, I grow a little bit more excited for a tropical-based PokeRegion:) It was nice to hear that y'all are excited as I am.

My first impression?

"...There's going to be a loooooooooooot of surfing."

xD

Hopefully some diving too!

It looks... small. I definitely feel like they're holding something out on us. If you look at images of the island taken from the trailer, there's maybe 3, 4 cities on the whole thing. Unless they're scrapping the whole 8-Gyms concept, there's definitely more - either other islands, or it's connected to another region. That was my first thought. I do like the little stage area where the starters are introduced, it looks like a little pokemon batttle arena and I love it!

The chances of them scrapping the 8 gym idea are about as likely as them replacing the grass-water-fire starters with different typings. In other words, less than slim to none. It's not happening, sorry.

I love how it's the first fully tropical region (Hoenn was close but it was more of a mixture of different elements of nature) and as someone who lives in a country of a hot climate, it's definitely something to get excited about. I also feel the atmosphere is a combination of Hoenn and Unova.

I feel you there. I'm from Miami and tropical climates are my absolute favorite. This game gon' be so ill, homie.

I'm just going to throw it out there, my very first thought upon watching was that it looked kinda bland or washed out. Like there was a filter on the whole trailer. It looks really good, but not as polished as i thought it would be. Still very excited and cannot wait to play, but I'm hoping for more visual beauty, (like the legendaries!!!)

I'm sorry you feel that way and I hope upcoming reveals change your mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • noahr94 said:

Hey Noah! Just letting you know I've merged your multiple posts for you. We have a handy button called the 'multiquote' that lets you quote several users and reply to them all in one post—please do your best to use that next time. If you're using the default theme it looks like four small squares, while on most other themes it either says 'multiquote' or has a quotation mark with a plus sign.

Thanks. =)

To answer the topic..

I love the idea, I love the fact it's going to be fully tropical. I do hope there's several islands to the region and it's one big archipelago.

Absolutely agreed with user Rowlet. Hoenn, while being my favorite region, was far from tropical and this is the first time I truly feel immersed in a fully-tropical region. I'm excited to explore the little islands and surf around (hopefully some of my friends will like the idea of surfing often more than they did in Hoenn)! The map does look tiny though.. perhaps there are more things to explore that we haven't been shown?? Even with downscaling the map to give you an idea of what the region looks like having so few buildings makes it look really quick to go through?

Back