• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First RMT : Standard/OU Team for Platinum

KodiakBlackout

Espionage Expert
    Years
    Hey just been working on this team just want to see what you think about it and if you have any suggestions.

Crobat @ Wide Lens
    Inner Focus
    Timid
    252HP/216Spd/40SAtk
    - Taunt
    - Hypnosis
    - Air Slash
    - Roost

Typical annoyance Crobat. Will lead, and attempt to stop Steath Rocks and Spikes etc with fast taunts and Wide Lens boosted Hypnosis. Won't be sweeping due to poor type coverage.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    Sturdy/Keen Eye (Irrelevant)
    Impish
    252HP/96Atk/140Def/20Spd
    - Spikes
    - Roar
    - Roost
    - Drill Peck

Standard support skarmory. Uses Spikes + Roar to rack up damage. Roost to aid when walling, and Drill peck as a powerful STAB. Shed Shell for Magnezone.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    172HP/216Spd/120SAtk
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

Rapid Spin support. Flexible enough to switch in and out with RS, so using Choice specs in case i need the extra power. EVs allow for a Sp sweeper, but its not its primary function.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Relaxed
    52Atk/252HP/204Def
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - EQ
    - Explosion

Standard Wall here, with Stealth rock support. With Gyro ball as its STAB, so as low a speed as possible is preferred. Will explode when faced with a difficult enemy (Blissey) or when Bronzong has low HP (no recovery).

Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Levitate
    Modest
    252Spd/252SpAtk/4HP
    - Energy Ball
    - TBolt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Ball

Special Sweeper and RS Wall. Will switch in when faced with Donphan, Starmie or Forretress, but otherwise will stay out of play until the opponents team is weakened. Has enough EVs to outrun most common threats and hit them hard.

Salamence @ Life Orb
    Intimidate
    Adamant
    120HP/252Atk/136Spd
    - Dragon Claw
    - Dragon Dance
    - EQ
    - Stone Edge

Physical Sweeper. Aims to come into play when the opponent is fully weakened for a full sweep. Needs one DD to outclass most opponents. Because of this, i picked Life orb as an item. The recoil shouldn't be too much trouble when used towards the end of the match.

Malevolent Mismagius

Bulky Metagross!
    Years
    You really should be using Fire Fang>>Stone Edge on mence. It gives you coverage against Bronzong and Skarmory. 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe for your evs.

Whirlwind>>Roar on Skarmory. Soundproof pokemon avoid Roar (lol Mr,Mime XD).

Use Hypnosis>>Explosion on Bronzong. Blowing your walls up really doesn't help. If you go Hypnosis on Bronzong, use something that gives Crobat better coverage. Steels, TTar etc. really laugh at your only coverage being Air Slash. I suggest Hidden Power Ground maybe? Also, Wide Lens is terrible. Use Lefties>>Lens.

Life Orb>>Black Sludge on Gengar. Gengar doesn't have any bulk or survivability anyway, so the recovery is wasted when pokemon knock you out in one move anyway. Energy Ball has terrible coverage. Focus Blast>>Energy Ball so that TTar is OHKOed, and better coverage overall which is a plus.

The LO Starmie set is really good when Starmie is the only thing you can rely on to achieve multiple kills such a Salmence. Locking yourself in leaves you as pursuit bait for TTar, Scizor.

Just a few thoughts.

~OR

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    For Skarmory, you can use this EV spread: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 172 Def / 20 Spe, and run Brave Bird over Drill Peck. Brave Bird is used with 64 Atk EVs to score a 2HKO on offensive Gyarados, OHKO on Infernape (of course you want to hit it on the switch), and a OHKO on Lucario after a defense drop (Close Combat). If you decide to stay with Drill Peck, then run 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe, since without Brave Bird, the Atk EVs are not necessary.

As with what Overrated said, being locked into Rapid Spin is Pursuit bait, so Life Orb would be more beneficial overall. If you keep Choice Specs, use Thunderbolt over Recover so you are not set-up fodder, and Trick over Rapid Spin for the reason stated above. Either way, Rapid Spin seems dead weight, seeing as Crobat is meant to stop SR from being set-up, so most of the time SR would not be set-up (really all the time unless Aero wins the Speed tie, or lead Jirachi chooses to SR first). I also think you should use Hydro Pump over Surf for KO reasons (if you use Life Orb), it OHKOs Zapdos after SR damage, most Bronzong, Jirachi, and Metagross are 2HKOed, all Cresselia and Snorlax are 3HKOed, all Tyranitar are 2HKOed, and SD Scizor is OHKOed (I think CB Scizor is 2HKOed). 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe would be better in my opinion for Starmie, but whatever suits you.

You lack a revenge killer to stop set-up sweeps like DD Salamence, etc. You can slap a Choice Scarf on either Starmie or Gengar to help with this. Use Timid on Gengar if you do (keep Will-O-Wisp on him to hit Pursuit users on the switch (e.g. I am about to revenge kill a Salamence, but it will obviously know I am Scarfed, so it switches out to Scizor/Tyranitar/Metagross, but then gets burned, and cannot OHKO me switching out, and even if Salamence stayed in, it would get burned).

Bronzong could use 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD (or 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 Def if you want him to stay a physical wall), because 84 Atk EVs allow you to OHKO Weavile and ScarfGar, and 2HKO Tyranitar with Gyro Ball.

Good luck.

KodiakBlackout

Espionage Expert
    Years
    i appreciate the above comments and will consider them carefully, however i have a few queries:

Running a LO Gengar, Starmie and Salamence would surely interfere with Item clauses? (not sure how standard these are now).

What are your feelings of HP Ground over Energy Ball on Gengar? (I just checked his IVs again and this is what it has). I would consider Focus Blast to be the better option though, and the only reason i didnt go for it was because i confused with Focus Punch (charge up) >_<

For Starmie, what should be used in place of RS? TBolt? What about Recover? And if i use it as a revenge killer, am i going with Life Orb, Choice Specs, or Choice Scarf? :S

Re: crobat, would HP Steel provide good or bad added coverage? (checked his IVs). and what other suggestions could be in place of Hypnosis?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    KodiakBlackout said:
    Running a LO Gengar, Starmie and Salamence would surely interfere with Item clauses? (not sure how standard these are now).
    Item Clause is not used except Nintendo tournaments.
    KodiakBlackout said:
    What are your feelings of HP Ground over Energy Ball on Gengar? (I just checked his IVs again and this is what it has). I would consider Focus Blast to be the better option though, and the only reason i didnt go for it was because i confused with Focus Punch (charge up) >_<
    Focus Blast is the better option than HP Ground because it provides unresisted coverage alongside Shadow Ball. You also misunderstood him for Focus Punch instead of Focus Blast. XP
    KodiakBlackout said:
    For Starmie, what should be used in place of RS? TBolt? What about Recover? And if i use it as a revenge killer, am i going with Life Orb, Choice Specs, or Choice Scarf? :S
    wolFLARE said:
    If you keep Choice Specs, use Thunderbolt over Recover so you are not set-up fodder, and Trick over Rapid Spin for the reason stated above.
    That ^. If you go with Life Orb, then use Thunderbolt over Rapid Spin, and keep Recover. Choice Scarf is needed to revenge kill for most Pokemon (including Starmie) to kill very fast threats.
    KodiakBlackout said:
    Re: crobat, would HP Steel provide good or bad added coverage? (checked his IVs). and what other suggestions could be in place of Hypnosis?
    Steel is an awful coverage type, so keep what you have. U-turn would be a great option over Hypnosis for scouting.

Last edited:
    Back