• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Route Normal Types

Which ones have you used?

• Rattata (Raticate) - R/B/Y FR/LG

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Sentret (Furret) - G/S/C HG/SS

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Zigzagoon (Linoone) - R/S/E

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Bidoof (Bibarel) - D/P/Pt

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Patrat (Watchog) - B/W(2)

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • I have used Rattata, Zigzagoon and Bidoof and their evolutions in various playthroughs and for the most part I've been satisfied. If I were to play through BW/2 again, I'd probably use a Patrat- I've owned one and used it as a slave, sure.

But to this day, I've never once had a Sentret. It's even rare for me to bother catching one- if I do, it's often after I've completed the game and think "I should fill the dex!", then realise I don't have a Sentret. While the design is cool for both Sentret and Furret, I've just never been interested in using one, even temporarily.

Years
  • Rattata my darling, because of look and Hyper Fang. Rattata was always in my team, since I first played Red.
    Ziggy because of look, ability to Pickup... Like Rattata, always in my team (except now because I have expimental team but that's just one occasion)

Years
  • I've actually used most of them on teams for the E4 (only one I didn't use was Patrat but it was still important)

Rattata- I didn't really think it was anything special until I used one to pretty much sweep lance's team in silver. Thanks to it having Super Fang, Hyper Fang and Icy Wind in Gen2, I didn't even have to switch out to beat him!
    Sentret- While I didn't use it in the E4, it made fighting Morty way easier. Rollout sweep and Ice Punch freezing >:D
    Zigzagoon- Again, E4. I use to Belly Drum run it (which wasn't the safest thing to do XD ). Give it a Shell Bell or Focus Sash, have it learn Belly Drum, Slash, Thief, and Sand-Attack. Pretty much defeated the first 3 E4 members itself.
    Bidoof- Another non-E4 performer. Mainly used it to catch other Pokemon. Yawn+Super Fang= Easy catch. All it was missing was Sand-Attack :(
    Patrat- The only one I didn't really use. I caught it as a Patrat, meant to level it up and evolve it but ran into Lenora... I promised on that day I would never use a Patrat >:(

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • My favorite is Sentret, mainly because Furret's design is my favorite and because he has quite a few moves I like using.

Although, Zigzagoon is a close second. First of all, it learns surf. Seriously, that's good. Second of all, sweet scent is a Pokemon catcher and helped find the rarer ones.

As for the other three, I never really used them, just caught them to try and fill my Pokedex. Kinda funny how Bidoof is the only one to add a type on evolution...

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • I like Sentret and Furret the most, but that's purely because of the fact that Furret is almost six feet tall. Most of the time I don't even defeat the beginning Normal types for experience because I don't like them too much. I know of a person who did a Soul Silver solo run with a Sentret and that opened my eyes to the fact that Sentret can learn Surf.

I kind of like Raticate but I don't like Rattata enough to invest in evolving it. Never checked Zigzagoon frequently enough to get any use out of Pickup, only used Bidoof once to get a Bibarel for my team, and never caught a Patrat. Never had the urge to catch a Patrat, to be honest.

Munchlax11

Munch?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Feb 15, 2014
    I've used Bidoof only as a HM slave. I tried to use both Sentret and Zigzagoon as team members because I've caught both of them shiny :). I used Rattata in FireRed because Raticate is decent. Zigzagoon gets pickup so he's also picked up some extra items for me.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    The only one I ever gave a try using was Zigzagoon. The Pickup ability was extremely useful and I picked up handy items along the way, throughout my journey. Plus he made an excellent attacker even though I underestimated his abilities at first! Other than that I generally try and avoid the first route Pokemon as there are much better normal-types out there.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • I used Bidoof as an HM slave, but other than that I've never used any of them simply because they're all really common :/ My favorite is Zigzagoon, it's cute ^^

I think they're useful, some people really like their design. Joey certainly appreciates Rattata. And Raticate's super fang gets me every time...

Back