• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First RTM FTW - Team of Preferences

Unrelenting0

Revived Phoenix
Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    Hello, and welcome to my first RTM! Today, we are going to look at my team and figure out what's wrong with it, my take on the issue, my take on the solution, and what you're take is: On both the issue, and my proposed solution.

First, let's look at the team:

Suicide Lead - Aerodactyl @Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    4HP/252ATK/252SPD
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge

The Classic Lead Aerodactyl. A device for setting up rocks, and preventing others. Usually dies quickly.

Dragon Dancer - Gyarados @Leftovers
    Adamant Nature
    Forogtten EVs, but I remmber putting a sizable amount into Defense, HP, and Speed.
    -Dragon Dance
    -Taunt
    -Earthquake
    -Waterfall

This set is what's called the BulkyGyarados. It has Dragon Dance as it's mainstay, Taunt to prevent phazing and everpresent Status Effects, Earthquake for coverage, and Waterfall for STAB. Thanks to it's bulk, I can effectively switch in on weak pokemon (Like the popular Weavile), and Dragon Dance in thier face. Although it's not recommended, against less smart opponents, you can usually get in more than one DD. Taunt, combined with higher speed, prevents a status counter, which can usually be seen coming. With enough DD, I can even ram through most walls with ease. The one most likely to give this one trouble with this is suicune, who is the bulkiest of the pokemon who resist his STAB. However, the one time I actually ran against it, I was so souped up on DDs I 2KOed it. First move did over 90%. Come to think of it, by that time, Gyarados was sweeping thier entire team. It did, too.

The Haxxor - Togekiss @(Not sure about item. Lum Berry, maybe?)
    Modest Nature
    252SpAtk/252Spd/4HP
    -Air Slash
    -Aura Sphere
    -Thunder Wave
    -Roost

Air Slash for ever-fun hax, Aura Sphere for coverage (not to mention it always hits), Thunder Wave to screw over anyone going over the speed limit, and Roost for survivability. This is my personal favorite, paraflinch hax is immensely funny, mean, effective, and annoying for your opponent. I beleive I once ran against a particlarly tough foe, and then Togekiss was sent it. It ran through a Metagross (who, sad to say Tricked it a Choice Scarf), a Skarmory, and a Tyranitar before it was finally put to rest. All thanks to Uber lucky flinch hax. Then my opponent disconnected. The rest it there for coverage. Speed can beat the hax, however, but if it really is an issue, I can upgrade it with THIS:

The Booster - Smeargle @Salac Berry
    Jolly Nature
    252HP/252Spd/4Def
    -Spore
    -Substitute
    -Belly Drum
    -Baton Pass

Ah, this little gem. It sleeps, maxes attack, subs, raises speed, and then sends it to someone else. If I send this to the right person, I'm pretty much invincible. All I need to do is switch in on a slower opponent, and I'm set. Then I can send it to...

The Destroyer - Tyranitar @Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    252Atk/252Spd/4HP
    -Crunch
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Pursuit

This packs POWER. Not only does it carry the necessary pursuit to bring down anything that's pursuit bait, it also carries firepower in it's stone edge(STAB), and Crunch(STAB). A force to be feared, ESPECIALLY if I can slap a BellyDrum/Substitute/SalacBerry Boost onto it's already CBed self. If anything in my list, fails, I always have....

The Avenger - Heracross @Choice Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    252Atk/252Spd/4HP
    -Megahorn
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -Night Slash

This is my revenge killer. If any of my pokemon fail in thier assault, I have this to KO the remainder. This also can serve as a sweeper, if things fall into place. Giving this Smeargle's boosts, practicallly guarentees victory.

Now, can you see the one glaring flaw I have here, the one problem I've noticed?

I have no means of dealing with the dreaded Bulky Water type. Stuff like Suicune, Swampert, Gyarados, Kingdra, all of them have no counters within this. I was thinking, since my Togekiss really brings nothing new to the table, I should replace it with this:

The Bulky Water Counter - Roserade @(item not determined yet)
    Modest Nature
    -Leaf Storm
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    -Leech Seed

This is expressly meant to screw over walls. The water type, known for bieng bulky, won't be able to stand a STAB Leaf Storm coming from it's 120 Base Sp. Atk. Toxic will screw with most walls.
    Protect only extends that screwage. Leech Seed too.

And there. Tell me what you think, and I mean, about everything: From this team's weaknesses, to strength, and to my take ont he problems and solution. Tell me.

I only thirst for your input. Begin the comments!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Suicide Lead - Aerodactyl @Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    4HP/252ATK/252SPD
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge

OK.

Dragon Dancer - Gyarados @Leftovers
    Adamant Nature
    156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
    -Dragon Dance
    -Taunt
    -Bounce
    -Waterfall

Bounce is by far the best move in that slot. Bulky Gyara has problems with pokemon who resist water, Bounce gets STAB so you can actually DO something to bulky pokemon, that and its actualy really powerful (powerful and in has a good chance to 2hko Vaporeon with SR up) and the paralysis support helps alot. Also taking 2 turns doesnt matter in the least, if they switch they risk the 30% Paralysis chance so it doesnt matter lol

The Haxxor - Togekiss @(Not sure about item. Lum Berry, maybe?)
    Modest Nature
    104SpAtk/152Spd/252HP
    -Air Slash
    -Aura Sphere
    -Thunder Wave / Nasty Plot
    -Roost

Seems like dead weight, though Nasty Plot kiss is way better imho.

The Booster - Smeargle @Salac Berry
    Jolly Nature
    252HP/252Spd/4Def
    -Spore
    -Substitute
    -Belly Drum
    -Baton Pass

Smeargle is terrible when its not on a baton pass chain or using the lead set. Good luck trying to pull of a pass when PHazers are everywhere and so is bullet punch/other priority and also scarfers. Ditch this.

Id reccommend a Rotom-A over this guy. Helps you block Rapid Spin (see Roserade + Aero setting up stuff) and also helps so your team isnt SD Stone Edge Lucario weak.

Rotom-A@leftovers
    252 HP / 176 Def / 80 S.Def
    Bold Nature
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Discharge
    - Will-o-Wisp / Reflect (If you use T-Spikes since it will be status confliction with W-O-W)

This also lets you take status as Breloom etc can just Spore you and cripple a vital member of your team.

The Destroyer - Tyranitar @Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
    -Crunch
    -Stone Edge
    -Aqua Tail
    -Pursuit

Tar is bulky and should be ev'd as such. Aqua Tail for ground types and better coverage. Speed evs beat most skarm.

The Avenger - Heracross @Choice Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    252Atk/252Spd/4HP
    -Megahorn
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -Night Slash

Ok..

Roserade @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 120 Def / 136 sp.def
    Calm Nature
    Trait : Natural Cure
    -Grass Knot
    -Toxic Spikes / Spikes
    -Rest
    -Sleep Powder / Leech Seed

I guess i should stop hiding this set from people now lol. Allow me to explain this set, basically it abuses Roserades ability to switch into bulky water types, Jolteon, Celebi, Defensive Rotom etc and set up Spikes on them. Toxic Spikes help cripple gyarados's counters (especially Protect vappy so yeah) whilst Spikes are more helpful overall, so its up to you, though with this team if suggest T-Spikes prolly.

Rest can also be abused with Natural Cure since you can switch out and have a 100% healthy Roserade. (Normal Spikes + Sleep Powder is illegal btw)

Comments in bold^

So your team struggles with dragons, alot (i.e they can spam Draco and DD + Outrage and you lose). You need a bulky steel type in here, id reccomend Scarf Jirachi >> Hera who also beats the same things as hera does and more.

Jirachi@Choice Scarf
    252 ATT / 252 SPEED / 6 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch / U-Turn
    - Trick / ThunderPunch

Iron Head Serene grace flinch Hax ftw lol

Covers your weaks well and checks quite alot. Though you dont really need fire punch with Gyarados + Rotom beating Scizor and Luke either of the last 2 slots can be interchangable with each other. If you DONT run fire punch however, remember to use U-Turn so you can scout Magnezone etc.

Id drop kiss and use something like the following ;

Aero
    CB Tyranitar
    Bounce Gyarados
    Rest Talk Rotom
    Bulky Roserade
    Scarf Jirachi

This seems much more solid.

I hope you try out my changes and good luck with the team.

Last edited:
    Back