• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First there was Myspace, then there was Facebook, now, Twitter and Oovoo..

The Last One

Stalking Your Conversations
    Years
    So it looks like everyone on facebook is migrating to twitter and Oovoo, just like they did from Myspace to Facebook, will this "migration" of social networks ever stop?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Actually, Facebook is still alive in the same terms as Twitter HERE in our country. But I'm no world statistics expert though, so I wouldn't know if the same thing is in other countries.

Zet

Years
    No it won't stop, and Twitter is a superior social networking site since it doesn't include games or likes etc you only need to post short messages about what's happening. As for Oovoo, is really just a step down from Skype for kids to video chat with each other.

But if Google+ is a success than facebook will surely die, not in a few weeks, months or the first year but maybe after two or three years it will be the myspace of today.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Facebook is killing itself with all those games and stupid crap that gets posted on everyone's walls that no one gives a woof about. I don't see people migrating to Twitter though, lol. I see them being used in conjunction, if anything. And I've never even heard of Oovoo. The migration to different sites and stuff though, it'll never die. Someone somewhere will take the initiative to take all the things that make Facebook work, subtract the things people hate about it, and multiply on the great things and it'll be better. Rinse and repeat.

The Last One

Years
    Personally, My points that would make Facebook better

-GET RID OF ALOT OF GAMES & STUFF ALONG THOSE LINES

-Along with the Like button there should be a dislike button

-Everyone knows that Myspace had a whole section for music, I think Facebook should also have that

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    All social networks come and die. All communties come and die. All everything comes and dies. Better ones will rise, and worse ones will attempt to succeed. It's the natural balance of life.

Facebook was better than Myspace, because it was clean, and efficent. Then it started getting all those damn apps and games, which I believe was ultimately the death of Myspace too. Most people I know don't like twitter, it doesn't have enough of a homey feel to them. I don't like it, and I haven't met a single person in person who has.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Facebook seems to still have a long time going for it. I hope so anyway. I don't see people fully migrating yet as it gets more users daily and yearly as younger generations are coming in and that's what they'll use to communicate with their friends past and future. Perhaps it's the exams period that's making Facebook for me less active.

What's Ooovoo? Isn't that like Skype. The most painful thing: "why didn't I think of that?!" It'll get the parents off one's neck of "why don't you do something productive online".

Katastrophe

I feel infinite.
    Years
    Twitter, in my opinion, works best as an app. I don't even really consider it a social network - it's more of just a news feed plus.

The only thing that exists now that has a chance at overtaking Facebook is Google+, hands down. And unless Facebook can get back to it's roots, I hope it does. I'm really tired of these... non-people Facebook profiles, like all these 14 year old girls posting their pictures on "site modeling" Facebook pages.

Am I the only person who sees things on Facebook and double checks to make sure they didn't log into myspace on accident...? "/

The Last One

Years
    Twitter, in my opinion, works best as an app. I don't even really consider it a social network - it's more of just a news feed plus.

The only thing that exists now that has a chance at overtaking Facebook is Google+, hands down. And unless Facebook can get back to it's roots, I hope it does. I'm really tired of these... non-people Facebook profiles, like all these 14 year old girls posting their pictures on "site modeling" Facebook pages.

Am I the only person who sees things on Facebook and double checks to make sure they didn't log into myspace on accident...? "/

I notice it ( bout the last part) and what is Google+??

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The Last One said:
    will this "migration" of social networks ever stop?

I won't end. Facebook has become pretty much a community of flash games and txt speakers. Google+ is looking like it will be the next Facebook, although I don't know about Oovoo.

Years
    Do you guys realise that Facebook itself is not littered with Apps/Games. It's your friends that choose to post that rubbish. If you keep the right company, you won't have to put up with all of that. I think that all I see is the odd horoscope here or there.

Twitter is nothing like Facebook, nor will it take over, because it serves a different function and is less popular in the first place. Out of the people I know, around 80% use Facebook and less than 5% use Twitter.

The only thing I would consider using outside of Facebook is Google+.

Years
    I migrated to Twitter after first creating a Myspace then Facebook.. I dont even touch myspace but i do check out Facebook, but never post.. I am a crazy Tweeter though

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Oovoo? I have never heard of that.

I haven't realized very many people actually migrating to Twitter. They have created accounts there, but they're still primarily using Facebook. I couldn't see myself ever changing completely to Twitter. It's too simplistic.

Katastrophe

I feel infinite.
    Years
    As people have said, Google+ is just their attempt at a social network. Google has this great thing for it's employees where they can spend like, 2-4 weeks working on a personal project for Google to incorporate. It's how G-mail was made, and I'm sure Google+ was born the same way. If Google+ doesn't surpass Facebook, I'll eat my shoes. All a social network has to do to succeed is look at Facebook and ask "What works? What doesn't? What do they want?" and advertise it. Anyone can do the first part, but it'd take a lot of advertising to try and overtake Facebook - Google is one of the few companies that can do that. Just taking a look at the virtual tour of Google+, in my opinion it looks like someone did exactly this.

Being able to categorize your friends into circles is great for those people who want to keep some content private from others more easily then Facebook allows, although I can see a LOT of potential drama from this...

"Did you see what Sarah posted last night?"
    "No, she didn't post anything?"
    "Oh, you must not be in her circle..."
    "Why that little-!"

The hangout function is essentially stickam, but I like it. They realize that a lot of people have webcams and they're seeing skype and ooVoo hit mainstream so they're capitalizing on that. Something about photos and videos automatically getting uploaded to Google+ and you just say when to make them public which... I don't like. I think this process is fine as is... but the other feature (it's name escapes me) that is like making a chat room rather then just a 1-on-1 IM is nice.

Years
    I don't think It will ever stop. . .I remember everyone I knew had Myspace. . .Then they went to Bebo, and then Facebook! I think times will change and so will peoples choice of Social networking website!

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    In my opinion Googe+ has all the makings to absolutey wreck facebook, but the question is will they actually get users to switch, personally ill be deleting my facebook as soon as it it fully released

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    When something gets really popular it's because it's a 'fad'. That's why people move on. Eventually it's not cool; it's just normal. Without people thinking it's so great they finally hear the people that complain and take it in. Eventually they move on and everyone thinks it sucked (whether or not it did).

The exception is search engines since they're a basic function of the Internet.

Facebook is by far the most popular still.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
    I want to make a google plus but it's in closed beta :'(
    It will kill Facebook, just like googles YouTube killed everything else. Googles blogger killed all opponents (cept twitter, which is kinda a blog thing) google killed yahoo and is killing bing.
    I hate googles ads on YouTube and stuff, but they're not as common as they were 2 months ago, so I think google is learning from mistakes.

Google is gonna have a social monopoly by 2013.

Back