• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First thoughts on First Play? (Red, Black for me)

Years
  • I was 9 when Red came out. I remember when I first played the game. In fact, I even remember buying the game in great detail. I played Silver to death when that came out. I played a bit of Ruby and probably beat it, and up to the Elite Four in Platinum but never beat it, and honestly I don't remember anything about them (the only Pokemon introduced in Gen IV I can remember is Giratina..).

Here are my thoughts on Red from when I was a kid:
    "Wow! What a large scale game! SO much to do. So many options." "I feel accomplished" "I feel challenged!!"

Then I bought a Gameshark and realized I could start with any Pokemon I wanted, level 5. Thus another 500 hours of my life went out the window.

Black, which I started playing yesterday:
    "This game looks amazing." "The new Pokemon don't look THAT awful." "I have to fight three guys for the first gym?! (I was obviously wrong..)" "I wonder if I'll ever see Missingno. again"

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Speaking of fighting three guys for the first gym, I feel Game Freak missed a great opportunity to showcase triple/rotation battles.

Sirfetch’d

My first thought was "how the hell do you get out of the house". That was in my Blue version. Really though the entire time playing I thought it was the most amazing thing ever. i enjoyed it enough to get me hooked for all 5 soon to be 6 generations.

Years
  • I haven't had a Triple Battle yet. I'm kind of excited to see what that's like.

@jellicentfan1 haha! I thought the game was massive (not having played Chrono Trigger or Ocarina of time yet..) and was completely astounded at the amount of characters/Pokemon in it.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • First game was Yellow, I was so excited while playing it, I named my character Ash since I watched the anime, I was like 7 or under? I cherished that Pikachu... I disliked that cry it does when it faints; ''chaaaaa'aaaa'' ;P

Years
  • I remember when Yellow came out .. I waited a week or so, forced my dad to bring me to FuncoLand and bought it used. Then beat it. Then used Gameshark to get Surf and sucked at the minigame.

And I know what you mean about the Pikachu! I remember my cousin HATED him and would either trade him to Blue to evolve him or just keep him in a box. I'm not a Pikachu fan, but I felt awful removing him from my box.

I actually also remember looking at Missingno. and noticing how different he looked

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I was 8 when I got Red for the first time. I was kinda clueless, I felt that I was really good at the game since I wasn't aware that Bulbasaur, the starter I chose, was stronger against the first two gyms. I don't even recall what team I ended up with in the end, but I beat the champion in less time than I would now. xD

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I remember actually having the effort to grind my pokémon to level 100 and being able to destroying everything with my lvl. 100 Empoleon in pearl. I also remember never being able to get past Slateport City in Emerald as I could never find the place to deliver the Devon Goods.

Years
  • I was 11, and I got Ruby for my birthday, chose Mudkip as my starter, who was in fact my first and so far only female starter I ever used in a main playthrough. I do have to admit my team really sucked back then due to type double-ups, causing redundancies and also I had terrible movesets, but at least that did allow me to improve in later generations. Still, it was fun starting with a memorable region like Hoenn.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    My first Pokémon game was Pokémon Blue version. I got it when I was very little. My dad gave it to me as a Christmas present. When I first played this game, I was addicted to it. As soon as I got home from school, I used to take my Game Boy out of the drawer and start playing it. I used spend hours playing this game without doing any of my homework, and due to that, my mom used to get upset, scream at me, and take the game away. Yes, I was that addicted. xD"

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • My first game was Black. I got it because my desk buddy played it (he was ranked in the top 100 in the world competitively) and I would play it nonstop in my Algebra 2 class. I had heard a lot about pokemon growing up, but could never get it myself because my parents thought it was too violent (yeah, they were overprotective). I made quick work of the main storyline, thought it was the best game I had ever played, and since my desk buddy liked the competitive side of things, dove right into the competitive atmosphere.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    It's nice reading all these childhood memories you guys have :)

For me, it was White. Of course I heard about Pokemon before, when I was a kid we used to watch the anime and collect Pokemon stickers, but the game were never that popular where I lived. For some reason, I decided to try playing it last year, I guess it was during finals ^_^ and I got hooked. I think it was the storyline, and progressing through the game alongside your team. It was all very new to me, especially considering I'm a casual gamer, so it was the first RPG I've ever played and it was the first game I've ever completed and had the most achievements.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    My first game was Emerald. And other than getting stuck in Slateport City, all games' first impressions have been great. Sadly, despite the quite good unique locations, Black's post-game really dragged.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I had read a few articles and reviews before trying out Pokémon. The first time I played was a friend's copy of Pokémon Red, and my first thought was: "This IS as good as people say it is! I want this game!"

A few months later, I got Pokémon Blue.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
  • My first was Silver, which was tragically lost through an open window.

I was about 7 or 8 when it was released here. Too young to fully understand But I remember the first time I played, I chose Cyndaquil. Got as far as Ice Path, the maze beat me, I started a new game.

Eventually though I beat the game and had a level 100 Pidgeot before the game broke from the fall it took. Little brothers are so careless.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I was 14 when red and blue were released. they were the hit in secondary school. I played it first on someone elses copy. I got lost in mt moon. My own copy was blue which i bought of my summer holiday pocket money which i saved till the holidays were over. my mom was not amused. (she confiscated the game xD) My dad was more relaxed i played it on a different summer holidays car trip to italy(about 1200 km from where I live) so it was a good way to keep me occupied. I got lost in silph co building and played over 100 hours just to get past the guy that is standing in front of a teleporter. it didnt get to me that i could just teleport and teleport back to get past the guy... sigh... .
    I played silver first on a half translated rom half english half scrambled. it was great fun though and it surely helped my English.
    I got the game and it was released a day before my moms birthday so I bought it with the money I hadm, and didnt have any left for my mom. She was not amused and once again I got that game confiscated too....my mom and I didnt have a good standing when it came to pokemon games xD. I got a game boy colour as a present from my grandma so i could play crystal. repeat stor(albeit getting it myself like a gba with beach experience from ebay)y for gba and nds. and 3ds most probably .lol. really i always bought the nintendo systems only for pokemon games. I do have a few other games like Zelda and star wars but i mostly only use them for pokemon. lol.

Last edited:
    Back