• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fish or Surf?

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    When you are looking for good water Pokémon, do you use your rods to catch one or simply surf around?

I fish only when I am looking for a Magikarp or a Gyarados. I surf for all other water ones.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I surf for my water Pokemon.
    But I sometimes fish for them when I want a Gyarados but thats almost never XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • If it's the Kanto or Sinnoh games I'll get them from the professor :P

Otherwise, it depends on the Pokemon I want, but it usually ends up being fishing because you typically get the Good Rod before you get the Surf HM. In SS I know I fished for my Staryu and in Sapphire and Emerald, I'm about 95% sure I fished for my Psyduck.

I did surf in Platinum for the Sealeo that I would breed for the Walrein on my primary team, however.

Nathaniel.

is here
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2012
    I only fish when I am looking for a Magikarp. Every other water Pokémon I want, I surf to catch it.

Years
  • I catch water pokemon from Surfing/Fishing very rarely.
    In FR/LG I always pick Squirtle as a starter or evolve Eevee into Vaporeon
    In R/S/E I usually pick Mudkip as a starter or get a Lotad
    In Platinum I just pick Piplup or get a Buizel

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of water pokemon so I don't usually look for them. Honestly, I think I usually fish. Think about it, what's the only Pokemon that you encounter while surfing? Those goddam tentacool. Fishing gives you many more choices.

But if I'm really looking for a strong water Pokemon, I usually like to plan my teams ahead of time and would probably choose the water starter of whatever game I'm playing.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It depends on what's required. I usually surf if they can be obtained both ways, though. I'm too lazy to fish. :P

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I actually prefer fishing since there are 3 types of 'ratings'. Example: Old rod, good rod ect.
    But saying that I also, sometimes; get sick of fising. So I would take the easier option and just surf instead. :cer_smile:

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I dive because I like Relicanth and Lanturn.
    Otherwise I believe fishing is how they're acquired.

I prefer to fish since it means I don't have to swim around in circles like a 'tard.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • I surf, and when I do fish, it's WHILE surfing. xD
    I don't like fishing much, because it get's boring.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    To be honest, I do both and for different reasons. When you fish, you expect the Pokémon to be within a certain range, so it's better for you preferred level. As for surfing, random Pokémon with unpredictable leveling will appear before you.

Back