• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Five Ways to Improve Your Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Playthrough

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • During my time being a member here, I discovered that I was a pretty good writer, as I have done research and wrote long posts on aspects of Pokémon like type-effectiveness, such as calculating the percentages that every possible type combination can hit all Pokémon super effectively with STAB, and even published a blog here detailing every possible aspect of the Grass/Dark-type combination based upon a past discussion that I had in a thread months ago. I also even wrote a rather big team-building guide for another friend of mine here to help him prepare for competitive Pokémon.

Reading the articles of the user _confused_piplup_ and her personal blog inspired me to do other things while being a member here and attempt to get something published for Pokécommunity Daily myself. The idea that I had in mind is simply a guide detailing how players of previous generations can improve or maximize their in-game play-through when playing Pokémon. With Pokémon Scarlet and Violet about to be released next month, I simply wanted to write an article about five things players can do to make their Pokémon Scarlet and Violet play-through better and how they can prepare for it now through their previous game. Basically, the article would take on a list form with extra added details.

Years
  • +1 good idea to me!

i'd be curious to see an outline of the five points you plan to make though

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • During my time being a member here, I discovered that I was a pretty good writer, as I have done research and wrote long posts on aspects of Pokémon like type-effectiveness, such as calculating the percentages that every possible type combination can hit all Pokémon super effectively with STAB, and even published a blog here detailing every possible aspect of the Grass/Dark-type combination based upon a past discussion that I had in a thread months ago. I also even wrote a rather big team-building guide for another friend of mine here to help him prepare for competitive Pokémon.

Reading the articles of the user _confused_piplup_ and her personal blog inspired me to do other things while being a member here and attempt to get something published for Pokécommunity Daily myself. The idea that I had in mind is simply a guide detailing how players of previous generations can improve or maximize their in-game play-through when playing Pokémon. With Pokémon Scarlet and Violet about to be released next month, I simply wanted to write an article about five things players can do to make their Pokémon Scarlet and Violet play-through better and how they can prepare for it now through their previous game. Basically, the article would take on a list form with extra added details.
    Hi there! Sorry for the delay.

That sounds like an interesting resource you made, and something along those lines would be good to put on Daily (and guides for games can get a lot of views!). I would also like to see the outline of those 5 points, and roughly how much detail you plan on writing for each.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Hi there! Sorry for the delay.

That sounds like an interesting resource you made, and something along those lines would be good to put on Daily (and guides for games can get a lot of views!). I would also like to see the outline of those 5 points, and roughly how much detail you plan on writing for each.

Thank you for the reply. 😊 By the way, when you mention "outline of those 5 points," do you want me to list the things specifically that I included in the list?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Thank you for the reply. 😊 By the way, when you mention "outline of those 5 points," do you want me to list the things specifically that I included in the list?
    Yep! No need for the full details, but what you plan to put on the list would be good to know.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Yep! No need for the full details, but what you plan to put on the list would be good to know.

Thank you for clarifying. 😊

Basically, the list would go as follows:

1. Transfer young Pokémon from a previous game to a new game
    Details would encourage players to breed Pokémon in their old game and transfer the new hatches with Pokémon HOME. It would also detail the benefits using transferred Pokémon early on. (I've been playing Pokémon like this for years and never looked back, so I just wanted to introduce the idea to other players that might not play this way).

2. Use more than one team during a play-through
    Details would explain how players could play through the story, defeat trainers, collect the badges, and challenge the Elite Four using more than one team for the entire journey and an effective way to do it. It would also detail how this could be useful if Scarlet and Violet does not have gym level scaling.

3. Breed your starter Pokémon
    Details would explain a bit of uncommon knowledge about chosen starter Pokémon in the beginning of the game, as well as encourage players to breed their starter Pokémon, get them potentially useful egg moves, and detail the ways that having multiple starters in your boxes can help you during your play-through.

4. Catch all Pokémon in an area before proceeding
    Details would mention a challenge of sorts for players to catch as many Pokémon as possible before moving on in the game and how having more Pokémon in your boxes can help you throughout your play-through.

5. Play the game in "Set" mode instead of "Shift" mode
    Personally, I believe that the game holds your hand when you play in "Shift" mode because it asks you if you want to switch Pokémon in the middle of the battle, something that doesn't happen in battle facilities or competitive. This section would detail how using Set mode offers more of a challenge and would include some other "rules" to go along with it to maximize the experience.

Thus, basically, it's just a simple guide on how to have a better, more unique, and fun Pokémon play-through without having to do a full-blown challenge such as a Nuzlocke or anything similar. Because it involves transferring Pokémon quite often, it might be more useful for players that played previous games rather than players that are completely new to Pokémon though, but I could make another article for new players some other time.

So what do you think?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Sounds good to me!

A couple comments:

#1 It should be mentioned that SV may not have HOME support right away - BDSP only got home support months after it released, for instance. And then there's the matter of Dexit meaning only some specifics from HOME can be sent to SV.

I agree with #2 - last few games I've rotated between more than 6 Pokemon (in ORAS, about 30 Pokemon... and I was still around the E4 levels with the only 'grinding' being using Dexnav a lot, because I found it fun).

#3 - also can be useful with the Wonder/Surprise trade, or on GTS for other Starters/etc you are missing!

+1, approved. Please PM me a desired username and email address so I can create a Daily account for you, so you can work on the draft directly in there!

Years
  • Sweet Serenity said:

This looks awesome!

Some smol suggestions:

With the new Pokémon Scarlet and Violet games being scheduled for release in a little less than a month from now, based upon several new features that are likely to change the dynamic of Pokémon games in the future, such as multiplayer and exploring the region in an open world, the games will not only attract new players to the series, but also veteran Pokémon players that want to experience the new features, region, and Pokémon as well.

Maybe this can be split into a few separate sentences? It's a very large paragraph so I think some separation would be good, would make it easier to read!

Pokédex is the right way to write it!

Starting off with the mode itself providing a greater challenge

Not too sure, but did you mean 'provides' here? Maybe I'm misreading though.

Starting off with the mode itself providing a greater challenge, unlike Shift mode, which asks the player if they would prefer to switch Pokémon before the opponent switches Pokémon after a knockout, Set mode requires players to keep their Pokémon in battle until they switch them themselves during the battle, which requires players to utilize more strategy to defeat their opponents.

This is a little long and difficult to read for me. I'd recommend splitting it up if you can!

type-advantage

Is the hyphen needed here?

have your Pokémon hold held items

I don't think 'held' items is necessary in this bit, since 'hold' is already there.

HP Up!

For instance, breeding Pokémon with good IVs, maximizing their best stats with EV vitamins such as Protein, Carbos, Calcium, Zinc, Hp Up, and Iron, and if necessary, changing their Natures to influence the growth of their best stats with Nature Mints before transferring them to Pokémon Scarlet and Violet allows you to begin your playthrough with Pokémon that can battle at their full potential at the very beginning, which can make battles against potentially tough opponents such as late-game gym leaders, the Elite Four and Champion, and opponents in battle facilities easier than normal and more fun.

Another really long sentence. Consider splitting it up too?

I'd also recommend you mention somewhere in segment 1/5 that not all Pokémon from previous games will be transferrable to SV. It's good for new players to know that whatever they may breed and want to use may not even exist in gen 9, so ideally they should double check online or wait for release to be sure before breeding anything and being disappointed when HOME doesn't allow that migration.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • This looks awesome!

Some smol suggestions:

Maybe this can be split into a few separate sentences? It's a very large paragraph so I think some separation would be good, would make it easier to read!

Pokédex is the right way to write it!

Not too sure, but did you mean 'provides' here? Maybe I'm misreading though.

This is a little long and difficult to read for me. I'd recommend splitting it up if you can!

Is the hyphen needed here?

I don't think 'held' items is necessary in this bit, since 'hold' is already there.

HP Up!

Another really long sentence. Consider splitting it up too?

I'd also recommend you mention somewhere in segment 1/5 that not all Pokémon from previous games will be transferrable to SV. It's good for new players to know that whatever they may breed and want to use may not even exist in gen 9, so ideally they should double check online or wait for release to be sure before breeding anything and being disappointed when HOME doesn't allow that migration.

Thank you for the feedback, Sheep! 😊

As for the "providing" part, I wanted to explain how Set mode offers a challenge. Perhaps I should word it as, "To explain how Set mode offers a greater challenge" rather than "Starting off with the mode itself providing a greater challenge" to make it less confusing for readers.

The grammar checker that I used when proofreading suggested that I use a hyphen in "type-advantage," but I guess it's not really needed. When it comes to style in writing, different people and/or grammar checkers tend to say different things. Either way, I have no problem changing it.

The reason I said "hold held items" is because the phrase "held item" is its own term that refers specifically to items that Pokémon can hold and use in battle rather than, say, a Great Ball or Poké Doll. Do you still recommend that I change it, or should I leave it as is? No worries, I changed it anyways.

I completely agree with the long, difficult to read sentences though. It's an old habit from writing term papers. I will definitely shorten them!

Thanks again! 😊

UPDATE: I made all the edits you suggested for me, Sheep!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Sweet Serenity said:
    A few more small things:

such as by completing the Pokédex, nicknaming all their Pokémon, shiny hunting,
    Shiny over shiny

Capitalise all cases of 'starter' Pokemon as well.
    Moreover, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet would allow players to challenge Gym Leaders in any order
    will allow

You could add a little conclusion as well - ask readers what they like to do in their gameplay runs, for example, to round out the article. I think that's all that is lacking otherwise - solid article!

Tags - 'SV', and 'featured' (makes it go to the top of the Daily homepage).

Once you do those changes, you can republish! Then make a thread in the SV section and quote-notify me (or PM/DM), and I'll link the thread for you to the article and vice versa.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • A few more small things:

Shiny over shiny

Capitalise all cases of 'starter' Pokemon as well.
    will allow

You could add a little conclusion as well - ask readers what they like to do in their gameplay runs, for example, to round out the article. I think that's all that is lacking otherwise - solid article!

Tags - 'SV', and 'featured' (makes it go to the top of the Daily homepage).

Once you do those changes, you can republish! Then make a thread in the SV section and quote-notify me (or PM/DM), and I'll link the thread for you to the article and vice versa.

Alright! Everything's done! 😊

However, before I published it, I was wondering if I needed to wait for someone to review the edits first? Otherwise, it's practically ready now.

Thanks,

Serenity

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Alright! Everything's done! 😊

However, before I published it, I was wondering if I needed to wait for someone to review the edits first? Otherwise, it's practically ready now.

Thanks,

Serenity
    Just took a look now including the new paragraph at the end - looks good to me! Go for it.

Back