• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Flag and var expansion

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Hi everyone i have a quick question for my rom hacking.
    Is there a way to expand the number of usable flags and vars inside a rom without using JPAN save block?
    I'm asking because i plan to work on fire red, but if there are other methods for other rom bases i can switch my base rom.
    I also ask this because i have read that many people found buggy flags and vars with JPAN save block, so i don't know if it is really safe to use.
    Thank you

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You could use the CFRU which supports expanding flags iirc. No one really uses JPAN anymore
    I will say though that there are plenty of unused flags and vars already in the game, and if you're planning to get rid of the base story you've got even more. It's very unlikely you're going to need to expand them at all if you use them in the normal ways and aren't going to make a ridiculously large hack like Unbound

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    CFRU its over my skills and adds too much stuff.
    What i plan is to get rid off the original story to make my story.
    Guess i ll have a look to safe flags and try not to use them all.
    Thanks for reply

X_Zenith

Banned
    Years
  • CFRU its over my skills and adds too much stuff.
    What i plan is to get rid off the original story to make my story.
    Guess i ll have a look to safe flags and try not to use them all.
    Thanks for reply

bro! wait , there is asm by jambo51 which expands flags and vars

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    I know, but is it safe? I have read the comments under the tutorial and some people found buggy flags and vars.
    If the routines are safe i can use them, but if not i have to find another solution

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • I have used the Jambo51's method and for a long time it worked fine. The only bug is that flags don't clear upon starting a new game without deleting the .sav file (Save block hack issue from part of JPAN), which has been fixed by Zeturic long time ago.

Unless you're already using the same RAM address used by the flag expansion to get this working. In that case you will get buggy flags.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Okay, thanks for replies, i'll try Jambo51's routine for FR

Back