• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Flute or Violin?

Violin or Flute?

• Violin

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Flute

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2010
    Okay, so I was just thinking for a really long time about these two. It's okay, Piano, I don't need it because my 'bro does it already.

So... The first one was all okay, and it went well(Violin). Only a bit that I'm not immune to the sound it makes while I use the wand thingy on it wrongly.

But now for Flute... I had some hard times playing it, especially while using my mouth, and I was always told that I blow air outside, not in the Hole. But it was good because I was only using my fingers, in order to play music (Or a piece).

Violin, or Flute? Please give me your opinions, guys! I want to choose any of these two. And I think both of them are good, because I tried them, and they where well.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I actually played both of them in elementary, and can safely say that violin > flute. I dropped them both for a guitar eventually though. lol

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Honestly, it depends on your preferences. As a Woodwind player (I played the Clarinet) I like the Flute. However, the Violin can also make some beautiful music when played right. Some people just have more of a knack for Violin while others for Flute. I'd suggest you try playing both of them a little bit longer, and figure out which one you feel is right for you.

(on a side note: Yup, you have to blow outside the hole, not in the hole. :3 In fact, 50% of the air you blow in should be into the hole to make the sound, while the other 50% should be outside the hole... if that make any sense.)

weeman10

Mr. Blue Sky
    Years
    Both are pretty decent instruments. I play clarinet (still) so a flute would be easier for me, but for you it may be a violin.

Try playing both for a bit. Basically, do as BinaryPeaches says :L

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    The violin is like the oboe in that there's no middle range, meaning it sounds either really good, or really bad. Nothing in between. That's what the music majors say at least. I think you might wanna go with the flute. Plus, you can march a flute. But if you wanna be in string orchestras and such, then maybe go for the violin. I personally like both instruments, but I just think the flute is the best choice here. Good luck with whichever you endeavor, though!

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
    Violin, only because I'm partial to it and string instruments in general. I'm not sure a bit of experience from playing the electric bass will make my opinion valid... =|

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    The violin is like the oboe in that there's no middle range, meaning it sounds either really good, or really bad. Nothing in between. That's what the music majors say at least. I think you might wanna go with the flute. Plus, you can march a flute. But if you wanna be in string orchestras and such, then maybe go for the violin. I personally like both instruments, but I just think the flute is the best choice here. Good luck with whichever you endeavor, though!
    hahahaha yes! I played the oboe in grade/middle school and when I first heard it played by my teacher I thought it sounded really nice, then I played it and was like WHAT IS THIS D: WHY DOES IT SOUND LIKE A DYING DUCK?!

I think both instruments sound beautiful, but I would go with violin because i'm biased that way :| while they both are great, I looooooove listening to violin pieces. If you get good at that it can be wonderful to listen to.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Personally, I'd go for the flute because the violin takes a lot of practice to get used to compared to the flute.

Ayselipera

Well I would think the flute may be an easy route for you to take. I don't know how comparable this is, but I had to play the recorder in fourth grade and after a while It was pretty easy to play some simple songs. So perhaps the same can be said for the flute.

Either way I really think you should go for the instrument that you're most interested in. For example if I had to choose I would go with the violin just because I love the sound and there are many pieces that involve violin that I really enjoy and would like to be able to play myself. I feel like you should probably approach this decision the same way. Think of what pieces you would like to play and which of the two instruments are usually involved or would sound better playing whatever piece(s) that is.

You could even start with one and move on to the other later on if you're really stuck.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Flute. I've played it before. I never tried the violin, nor want to. Plus, the flute is really easy to learn in terms of musical notes.

iRyu

Why is he smiling? The Father?
    Years
    Hmm, it really depends on your resources rather than innate talent. Preferences can have a good bias in this decision but you've got to look at what's available to you.
    Good questions to ask:
    Do I have an available lessons tutor near me that would be willing to teach me?
    Lessons tutors are great to turn your talents into mastered skills. I have a lessons tutor for my saxophone and I have been doing so well since I started taking lessons.

(If you are in elementary or middle school) Does my highschool/ middleschool have a better string or band program.
    This is a great factor because if you have a good orchestral program your director would be a great resource to hone your abilities. Same goes for band.

Those are 2 great questions you should ask yourself before diving into your choice.
    Hope this helped

(I personally prefer flute [woodwind player biased])

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I prefer the Flute, as I have taken "lessons" on it. By lessons, I mean spying on my classmate's private flute lessons. I just think the violin is hard to play, although everyone's got their own preference.

Years
    I played both for two years each when I was in primary school and I can say that both are terrible and you'd do much better to pick up a cooler instrument like drums or guitar.

BUT, if you're mind is set on picking one of the two, I would go with violin. The violin can play some pretty amazing stuff, while the flute doesn't sound so nearly impressive without a band next to it. Also, I tended to get heaps of headaches while playing the flute because it's so hard to get the sound right. If you're having trouble with the sound, I'd strongly suggest you go for the violin. The headaches will just make you stressed which will make it harder to practice and it'll take a lot more effort to get good at the instrument.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Oxymoronic as this is to say: my advice is that you should not take advice from others regarding such choices. If you can't choose you shouldn't go for either until you can; then if you can never choose, perhaps it's not for you.

Still, you might want to try other types of flute, instead of what you apparently did, before choosing.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    Flute is a heavy metal instrument, therefore flute.

On a more serious note, it depends on which you find easier to play really. I know flute can be an utter menace to get the hold of (watching my brother try and fail to even blow properly was hilarious), but once you get it it's a beautiful instrument. Problem is, violin is just as beautiful. :/

Raiskit

[ e v i l l i g h t ]
    Years
    I'd hafa choose the flute, because 'm kinda biased and play it. It was really tiresome at first, but than it gets alot easier and it sounds really pretty. The violin is pretty too, I guess it all depends on whether or not you want to learn how to hold your breath long? XD

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
    I like Flute alot, been playing it since I was 10 and still palying it now too. Plus I love messing around with the flute and make noisy noises since it's fun for me. xD

Years
    • Age 30
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 15, 2011
    This topic can also mean Band vs. Orchestra. Honestly, I have not played the violin, but I have played the viola (similar, just a little bigger). I have also played the flute before. While the viola is fun, it hurts my fingers when I try to play certain notes. The flute, on the other hand, is able to play more music and can reach a different range than the violin.

Also I choose flute 'cause I'm a band geek. :P

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Well I would think the flute may be an easy route for you to take. I don't know how comparable this is, but I had to play the recorder in fourth grade and after a while It was pretty easy to play some simple songs. So perhaps the same can be said for the flute.

First of all, the flute nothing like a recorder, even though you may hear some inept people calling recorder's flutes.

Now, for my opinion it would definatley be flute. I'm probably a little biased because I play flute but whatever. Also, just by knowing how to play flute you can learn how to play a ton of other band instruments like the clarinet and saxophone. They have very similar fingerings. One you learn how to make sound come out and you get used to it you can go very far. To get it to work just put your bottom lip a fraction over the whole and blow like you are blowing over the top of the bottle. Flute can be challenging, but once you get a hold on it it becomes a lot of fun.

As for the violin, I love it too. Being a person who plays piano and woodwind instruments it can be very hard to learn just because it is so different. However, once you know how to play it it can sound really good.

Back