• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Flying montype team help

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2010
    I am currently participating in a Flying type monotype challenge on Platinum. I have weighed up the advantages and disadvantages of each pokemon. My team so far is:

Flying montype team help

Gyarados (He can learn surf and waterfall and is my counter to rock and fire types with high attack, but extreme weakness to Electric)
    Flying montype team help

Drifblim (Main use as a tank with it's very high HP, and decent Sp Atk but low defences and bad movepool)
    Flying montype team help

Gliscor (Mainly to counter Electric types with it's unique Ground/Flying combo. Aslo has decent defence, attack and speed plus a good movepool but no STAB bonuses in there)
    Flying montype team help

Scyther ( Good Attack and speed with ok defences (and my fav pokemon =]) but not as high attack as Staraptor)
    Flying montype team help

Crobat (Looks awesome and incredibly fast but not amazing other stats)
    Flying montype team help

Staraptor (Even better Attack but miserable defences)

They are all around lvl 30

Now, the problem is, is weather later on in the game I should include Dragonite. He is an awesome pokemon with amazing stats, but who do I get rid of, bearing in mind that I don't really have many defencive pokemon in this team.

Thanks for reading and any help will be apreiciated =]

Last edited:

Ayselipera

Hmm that's a tough one. My main concern is that adding Dragonite will then leave you even more vulnerable to ice type moves then before. Also its only type advantage will be over other dragon types and it has a weakness to dragon types at the same time. So if you're looking for something to counter dragon types you could just teach an ice move to possibly Gyarados or Drifblim.

If you really want to add in Dragonite I would switch it out for Staraptor. I know Staraptor boasts great attack, but its only stabs will be normal and flying type moves. Which with a team of all flying types a flying stab can be covered by anyone on your team. While normal moves aren't necessarily needed unless you're looking for a neutral high powered move.

If you want to add a defensive flying type to your team Skarmory is your best bet. Not to mention both ground and poison moves don't affect it. Along with that it has eight resistances and only takes normal damage from ice type moves. Giving you another upper hand against ice types with Gyarados

crazygoalie13

DarkBlaze
    Years
    You should definitely add Dragonite, and a Skarmory as well. Drop Staraptor and Drifblim. Dragonite because you can teach it such a variety of moves, like Dragon Claw, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower, and bingo, you can take out most pokemon. Staraptor is a great defensive pokemon, and you can put it in against Ice types, and use Steel Wing.

Back