• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] For a personal Gen 1 project, original or updated?

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2014
    Hey everybody, thanks for checking the thread. First I wanna say that the games you guys are making are really cool and I wish I had known about this place earlier!

But I am actually going to start working on remaking Pokemon Yellow from the ground up as a personal project, and I was wondering what you all thought about the graphics. I'm very tempted to use the original sprites for the nostalgia value, but I feel like people would actually play it if it were a more updated version. In that case I would probably use the Essentials kit for RPG Maker that I've seen around here. But like I said, it will almost definitely be a straight remake of Pokemon Yellow unless I decide that the scope of the project allows me to do more on my own in my spare time.

I feel like I would probably add online functionality later on down the line, so I guess that's something to consider.

Anyway, thanks again for looking and let me know what you think!

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2018
    While you really shouldn't be discouraged by this, Desbrina already made a Pokemon Yellow remake in the Games Showcase, albeit Hgss style. So, if you really want yours to stand out(Especially since she has a working online trade system) you should play hers first to figure out what you're going to do. And to answer your question, while I normally prefer the latest graphics(Bw since there's not a lot of X&Y tiles) DarkDoom3000 has shown with his Super Eevee edition that you can look past original graphics through witty dialogue, and an awesome storyline(At least for me anyway).

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • it would be very interesting to see, instead of a remake of the most cliche games out there, a devamp of newer ones
    a nostalgic feel of black and white, or even x/y if you're up to it

I say that simply because its a different twist than the dozens of remakes of yellow, or ruby/saphire

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2014
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

While you really shouldn't be discouraged by this, Desbrina already made a Pokemon Yellow remake in the Games Showcase, albeit Hgss style. So, if you really want yours to stand out(Especially since she has a working online trade system) you should play hers first to figure out what you're going to do. And to answer your question, while I normally prefer the latest graphics(Bw since there's not a lot of X&Y tiles) DarkDoom3000 has shown with his Super Eevee edition that you can look past original graphics through witty dialogue, and an awesome storyline(At least for me anyway).

I agree with it not standing out and I did see the Lightning Yellow versions and all that. I would mostly be making this game for the sake of practice and experience, but it would be nice if people actually played it, even if on the basis of nostalgia ^^

I also saw that Super Eevee edition and I think I will need to give that some playtime soon...

it would be very interesting to see, instead of a remake of the most cliche games out there, a devamp of newer ones
    a nostalgic feel of black and white, or even x/y if you're up to it

I say that simply because its a different twist than the dozens of remakes of yellow, or ruby/saphire

That's a very interesting idea and I think I will consider that...even if I don't do that I sure hope someone does!

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • I completely disagree with FangOfDrknss.
    You shouldn't care an ounce what other people have made or done in their Gen 1 remakes.
    You should be making the game YOU WANT TO MAKE. Period.
    Fan-game development is for your own amusement and entertainment. You shouldn't bother making your game "original".
    Make the game you want to make. If it so happens to deviate from the story, or happens to have a similar feature to someone elses game: Does. Not. Matter.

So long as you don't bit for bit, pixel by pixel sit down and copy someone elses game, claiming it to be yours or trying to make money off of it, you should only do what you want to do.

I am currently making a Gen 1/3 remake/reimagined version, and while I can definitely say I had not played any other remakes of Gen 1, except the official one, prior to the development of my game I've made so far, I still ended up with features and content similar to other peoples games, which I've tried lately.

What I'm trying to point out is that no matter how much research you put into trying to make a completely original game, it won't make your game better. Possibly only worse, because you limit your own creativity and the potential of your game by telling yourself you can't do something, because someone else already has.

There are 7.1 billion people in the world. Which means it is almost impossible to have an original idea. Therefore, you should instead spend your time having fun while realizing your less-than-original idea, rather than putting lots of time into trying to do something which isn't fun.

(**** I wrote a lot more than I planned to.)

Anyway; Do what you want and have fun doing it! If you think your own game is fun, regardless of originality, there is a very high chance other people will think so too!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If you're making this game for yourself/fun/practice, then do anything you want. End of post.

If you care significantly about other people playing this game, then since it's a remake of an existing game, you might want to do your own thing with the concept. If people wanted to play the original game, they'd whip out their old Game Boy or an emulator. Retro graphics are fine, but making a clone would be dull for others to play.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • I agree with maruno, a remake, using the same graphics as the original doesn't really have much pull. There needs to be something new to entice players. Most remakes have new graphics to give players reason to play it. But without new graphics, the game's going to be much of the same experience as the orignal game.
    Making a game using gen1 graphics and not being a remake is a better idea, or even remixing pokemon red to go through the region backwards or something.

I have some experience with gen1 graphics, and while it is charming, if you're going true to form, and going only black and white, then it could be really polarising for people. moreso than just retro graphics. since there's a lot of loss of visual information with just black and white.

I'd suggest going for the Pokemon Yellow route and using a limited color pallet rather than just monochrome. (black, white, colour 1, colour 2 instead of black, white, grey, light grey)

good luck on whichever direction you choose to take it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I do agree that a straight remake would be fun to make but almost no one would play it, while maybe a remake or my own version may have more people play. I agree with a lot of the points all of you have made.

Something I am now considering doing is a tactics-type game, but it is something I am still fleshing out to see if it would work. Although I still do want to make a proper Pokemon game.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • We can all have opinions and stuff, but I want you to put yourself in our shoes. Which game would you like to play.

Also, it really depends on how creative you are. If you are a creative person, you can basically create your own Pokemon game and people will play it and enjoy it, regardless of the revision.

However, if you aren't as creative, then just remake a more nostalgic type game with higher graphics.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I agree with maruno, a remake, using the same graphics as the original doesn't really have much pull.
    That's not what I said at all. I said that, if you're making a game for others to play, it would be pointless to clone a game people can already play. If you add your own touches to the remake, such as using different graphics or expanding/changing areas or fiddling with the plot, etc. (i.e. doing your own thing with the concept), then that's fine and can be enticing.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I agree with Maruno. How about putting devamped Sevii Island and ever other new place/quest? I would love to see more GSC connection, perhaps a ticket to go to the old Olivine City, access Ecruteak, Whirl Island and Tin Tower and even battle versus a GYM Leader, maybe a old, strong, non-canon one.

Even making the game with gen 2 graphics would be a good differential.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    One could also stick in the Orange Islands league. Pokemon Yellow was meant to allow people to emulate Ash's experiences in the anime, so adding the Orange Islands would add to that concept.

Daruda

Grinder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    You could even warp in time and change tilesets, from old to new.
    Like year 1996 and 2014...

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2014
    You could even warp in time and change tilesets, from old to new.
    Like year 1996 and 2014...

I really like that idea. The main problem is that aside from doubling the total size of your assets, the feel of movement and the environments between Pokemon games is very different. But that is definitely a cool idea worth playing with.

Back