• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forget about that "Pokemon world" thing!

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
  • The title maybe sounded so much strong xD But I'm sure that everybody noticed it in a way or another, but this is fact: pokemon don't take part in " another world", this is what I want to discuss here.

And them someone could ask me " But Sliter, on every game opening/movie opening or new anime season they start with [Welcome to the world of the pokemon], how couldn't it be?"
    And I can answer that this is what the western versions do with the series, to avoid showing to kids all the Japanese references they changed a lot of things (It's like that japan do thing from another world? well ...lol) this intro in fact on original is more like this: [Pocket monsters, or just Pokemon, are creatures that live in our world(...)] , see now?
    (Who actually do welcome you to entering his world? it's like he know there are more than one? hmmm strange isn't?)

And maybe you can ask me "But I never saw a ratata runing on the street!"
    Its obvious because you aren't in Japan Well, did you saw Spiderman or Superman too? tecnically they don't live in "another world", pokemon is the same way, clear now?

The game( and in the western version it still there) give us a lot of reverences like on the dex entries that Mew was saw in South America (He is near me omg omg ), Chinese legends of Arcanine, Lt Surge being the lighting american and stuffs
    Differently from Mario that is Italian but live in a world where Italia do not exist

So well, pokemon take place in our world, not the real one but an pocket version of it (You can see some guys playing pokemon in pokemon game , it's funny lol)

So how you can see, Kanto, Jotho, Hoeen and Shinou are directly based on japan (The pokemon ranger are too, the mystery dungeon I think not) compare Shinnoh with Hokkaido landscapes:

The climate stuffs are also related, like in Hoeen having more a tropical look and Shinnoh snow everywhere, the pokemon are based by climate and stuffs.
    Another proof I can give but it'd only had at the gen3 is that (I hope everyone know that) the money is based on Yen currency, the western changed it to Pokedollars(well it change for every language) and changed the money kanji to the little "P" but in Colloseum and XD (wich are based on U.S. regions) the currency are changed to "pokedollars" the prices are keep but it's the first time the "Pokedollar" symbol appeared in a japanese game.
    It was strange for me that in BWs, being based on USA they don't made the same, but I think now they got tired of making too accurate to real world since all the western version call it another world xD but you can see that now it's going to be based in France on the XY, so the references still.
    What do you think?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2019
    I think it's interesting, and I love when people go and get their own ideas. :D I do this too.
    However, my opinion is that pokemon world is a world after Arceus. I believe that no longer after some time, Arceus created pokemon form animals and then people lived with them. As you can see, pokemon keep people busy. There's no war, no discrimination, no bullying, because pokemon power = human power. Anyone can be powerful, and as people are equally powerful, there are no problems.
    Just imagine that. A world, with no water problems, as there can be tons of blastoise just spitting for us to drink (...)
    Energy? Pikachu got it.
    Food! Just eat Tropius bananas or get Brocoli off Pansage's head. Not to count it, Celebi keeps the fruits growing.
    Basically, pokemon world is the ideal world. Just... it's not ours and it's very likely that it won't happen to us, whenether we like it or not :( I would love to like in a world with pokemon.
    Imagine having Meowth. You can just collect gold from its head and be rich. But why be rich? If everyone doesn't care about money? Health is free. Nature is just besides you. Balance is kept by pokemon gods.
    Wonderful wouldn't be? :D

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
    Years
  • oh you gave a philosophic idea, and I liked too XD
    I'm not sure about comparing Arceus with Christian God, because pokemon is very politeist....
    well if you see there are some problens, see the Rocket for example, the western vision of they are being terrorist like, but they are more like yakuza, they stole Slowpoke tails becaue have much value, the cubones head bone and these things so they do things for greed XD on the japanese version have some " no good" little happening, know oldman that don't drink his coffe and felled on the stret (G/R/B/Y FR/LG)? in the japanese he was fallen drunk XD
    Or some pokemon itself like glimmer or trubbish, both get live from the human pollution, koffing is a great example to a critic for pollution, he spell toxic gas and his evolution he got a tumor or some bizarre like that xD
    I think some thngs aren't in the game (like details, steet and cars, moms room, real animal and bathroons) because there was low space to do everything that wasn't really necessary for the game idea and develop XD

Years
  • Pokemon world is inspired from real life locations and geographies, yes, but at the end of the day a fictional world inspired by some real life elements is still a fictional world.

The parallels that you have proposed about certain characters and Pokemon are a bit interesting, though.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I guess it's almost common knowledge now. Pokémon, unlike Superman etc. has a more cartoony appearance and things, and it's careful not to give ANY (repeat, any) direct real-life references. The regions were mostly based on Japan and that small bit from Russia, and Unova's based on New Jersey in the US.

But I really think your comparisons are nice, and yes, the climate is a major influence too. However, I don't see much cause for concern, either. It's a trivial fact worth knowing, that's all I can say.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • These are known facts already.
    As for Kalos to be based on France, Nintendo even confirmed it at the E3, when one person asked why they picked exactly France.
    It's because the Pokémon Team couldn't express the beaut of the games better than putting the games in France.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
    Years
  • > Seattle: you are right, but how I said it's like Superman, the "pocket"real world of pokemon, but not parallel like another world that the characters KNEW that it's another world the way to welcome you to it XD (How I said this part was added by wester version ...)

> Hoenn well I yhink this kind of apearence don`t really matter, I mean ... same for beyblade, yugioh, hantaro or Shinchan they pass on "cartoony Japan" and have all the references, like characters from another part of the world too
    On the pokemon anime (I don`t like to use the pokemon anime as canonic reference because a lot of stuffs, but this time) In one Episode, Kasumi says about Tokyo and shows the tokyo tower (on the Us version Misty talk about Paris and show the tokyo tower as Eifell tower :B well what we can say, it`s 4Kids xp)

I know its about a common knowedge but I see some stuffs that show that not everybody know that, like the pokemon regions linked in a crazy way that don't make sense (for climate, pokemon dispostion and stufs ), that show they don`t know tthat it's simply a "fictional real world"

Back