• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forming first EV team! advise appreciated!

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    So I'm starting a team of all EV leved pokemon but altho ive read up on this stuff a ton im fairly new to actually doing it.

I havn't figured out my skill sets yet except for a few skills here and there so skill set suggestions would be much appreciated.

pokemon I am certainly including:

Blissey - she will be my infuriating-wall-tank. EV's: 252 hp / 252 def

Starmie - supa fast damage. EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spd

SRONGLY considering (but not necessarily all in the same team):

Jolteon - 252 SpA / 252 Spd

Charizard - 252 At OR 252 SpA (havn't decided) / 252 Spd

Intrigued to consider:

Spiritomb - a beast of a pokemon, just not sure how big of an asset it'd be against a well formed team

Slaking - somewhat of a "back up tank" that can dish out a ton of damage. Not so sure about the whole skipping every turn though.

EV training a togekiss is also very tempting to me b/c i already have one and love it. I just have no clue how it'd fit into my team setup.

I feel like out of these options I am way too heavy on special attack damager pokemon and need to think more about 1) being well rounded, and 2) coming up with skill sets that will not only do good damage but will help the team as well.

I've read a bunch of guides at Smogen University site, but I'm not really look to copy a guide to the T.

I've also been wondering about bug, fighting, and steel pokemon..still lookin around though.

ANY suggestions on good EV stat combos, good skill sets that will damage the enemy as well as good team helping skills along with skills to help disorganize and throw off the other team. This skill set part is definitely confusing to me!

And of course, im open to any suggestions of pokemon that you think would be great EV editions to Blissey and Starmie.

Thanks!

PS: internet just crashed as i was uploading it so sorry if it shows up in the forum twice

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    ooh thank you for pointing that out about slaking I wasn't aware..I gotta read up on that haha.

well since i posted this ive been madly reading up on charts, guides, and so on and i've confirmed that blissey will be my big pink marshmellow star of the show, starmie stays as well,

and now im strongly considering Lucario since I have yet to decide on a physical sweeper.

still thinking about togekiss and or jolteon, and then after that im really not sure.

looks like im setting up for OU tier lol.

any suggestions on who to add to my team and what skills are useful for each pokemon would be great

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
  • Here is a good place if you want to check things like Basic movesets, ev spreads, and stuff about tiers. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2010
    i like it! i actually prefer attacking to raising stats or anything like that, because getting the damage on them wins the battles

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • i like it! i actually prefer attacking to raising stats or anything like that, because getting the damage on them wins the battles
    Thats what people call a theory =/ (its not proven to be the best way to battle) and all battle strategies are aimed at dealing damage -.-

I would probably not put charizard in a OU team just because its NU and it doesn't sound like its a key team member.
    blissey is cool and everything, it opens ways for sweeps OR can be a staller
    toxic (lets blissey stall like a boss) or thunder wave (opens for sweeps) thats how i see it anyways
    Blissey
    Starmie (scarf orb specs or belt is your decision now)
    Lucario (SD?)
    jolteon
    i would suggest -tentacruel for your lead and you can go from tentacruel to jolteon if a elec type att is threatening you tentacruel OR starmie
    and tentacruel absorbs physical fighting attacks aimed at blissey or lucario
    also giving tenta black sludge cripples trick leads
    togekiss would give a way to spread paralysis

then after paralysis is throughout your opponents team you could go for the sweep with jolt starmie or luke

lionrt60

Animal Crossing 3ds ♥
    Years
  • give blissey sp.def not def, even with def evs it will still take physical hits rubbish:(works much better as a special sponge also when you have finished your team will you battle me b/c im just eving a team as well and im pretty much at the stage you are:P

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    give blissey sp.def not def, even with def evs it will still take physical hits rubbish:(works much better as a special sponge also when you have finished your team will you battle me b/c im just eving a team as well and im pretty much at the stage you are:P

surey ill batte you, atho i literaly just started EVing my blissey (sti working on HP EV's) so itl be a whie before ive got a team together! Are you sure about putting her other EV's into SP def? I figured since her SP def is already so high it'd create a pretty baanced out sponge to EV her def instead since her def is pretty crappy

i would suggest -tentacruel for your lead and you can go from tentacruel to jolteon if a elec type att is threatening you tentacruel OR starmie
    and tentacruel absorbs physical fighting attacks aimed at blissey or lucario
    also giving tenta black sludge cripples trick leads
    togekiss would give a way to spread paralysis

then after paralysis is throughout your opponents team you could go for the sweep with jolt starmie or luke

could you elaborate on the use of tentacruel a bit more? I've literally never used one haha, always been kinda biased against em.

also I was thinking of giving blissey toxic, but then noticed she can learn stealth rock. Would including stealth rock in bissey's moveset be a terrible idea?

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    give blissey sp.def not def, even with def evs it will still take physical hits rubbish:(works much better as a special sponge also when you have finished your team will you battle me b/c im just eving a team as well and im pretty much at the stage you are:P

No, just no. Please do research before posting.

Blissey NEEDS max def always. With max def it takes hits as well as max hp Scizor and Spiritomb so it can tank weaker physical hits such as Pursuit and other assorted hits like Swamperts EQ's and goodness knows what else. :/

i like it! i actually prefer attacking to raising stats or anything like that, because getting the damage on them wins the battles

No not if you don't frikking suck ? :/

Not to sound mean here, but if you are inexperienced i would suggest not rating teams until you know what you're doing. Basically 'lurk moar'.

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2010
    What are the natures? Natures play a huge role. Just because you EV train your tail off in a certain, does not mean it will be that high. You gotta have the right nature.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    alright so ill stick with maxing blissey's HP / def

as far as her skillset, so far I'm thinking:
    softboiled
    stealth rock (is this a good idea?)
    toxic
    flamethrower(not sure about this last move slot..suggestions?)

also any suggestions for Lucario? I guess I could go with the SD build, but It's so popular im guessing there's a lot of people ready to counter it. Any effective variations of the SD skill set for lucario?

alright so ill stick with maxing blissey's HP / def

as far as her skillset, so far I'm thinking:
    softboiled
    toxic

also any suggestions for Lucario? I guess I could go with the SD build, but It's so popular im guessing there's a lot of people ready to counter it. Any effective variations of the SD skill set for lucario?

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    EDIT: sorry, site was lagging and I double posted

Last edited:

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • Ok yeah site was down for a hour for me
    tenta is amazing with its great special defenses and functions well with luke also gives your pokemon a way to spread entry hazards though if you rely on entry hazards (like toxic spikes) you should have a spin blocker (bulky ghost) (best spin blocker is rotom-h in my opinion)
    tentacruel is a support/spiker
    however, if you do like the all out offensive; tentacruel is not for you

But once again the decision is ultimately up to you, (except always put def evs into your blissey always do that)

If you like what the below post said about spinners then even more consider using tentacruel as it has rapid spin :) and it will allow you to spin without sacrificing your offensive starmie

Last edited:

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
    Years
  • you should possibly consider using your starmie rapid spinner support. you could keep it e'v'd like you were going to just to avoid hassle for the time being but the just slip in a rapid spin on its moveset to help deal with all the hazards people may throw down to mess with your tactical switches.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • as far as her skillset, so far I'm thinking:
    softboiled
    toxic
    You can fit SR on Blissey, but since it's readily available to a ton of other Pokémon you'll probably be better off giving Blissey Wish/Aromatherapy. Flamethrower/Toxic works for steel switch-ins since they'll be immune to poison.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    You can fit SR on Blissey, but since it's readily available to a ton of other Pokémon you'll probably be better off giving Blissey Wish/Aromatherapy. Flamethrower/Toxic works for steel switch-ins since they'll be immune to poison.

problem with my blissey (currently a chauncy) is that it wasn't hatched with heal bell or aeromatherapy. I'm considering rebreeding it with necessary steps to get one of those moves...but ive already gotten it's hp EV to 105 so i uh reeeeally dont want to start again XD I also don't currently have any other pokemon in my lineup (which is still in the making) that can learn SR.

another dilemma: my staryu's nature is Quiet, meaning -10% speed but +10% spA. I havn't trained it yet tho so should I rebreed the staryu? if so what's a good nature for staryu?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • problem with my blissey (currently a chauncy) is that it wasn't hatched with heal bell or aeromatherapy. I'm considering rebreeding it with necessary steps to get one of those moves...but ive already gotten it's hp EV to 105 so i uh reeeeally dont want to start again XD I also don't currently have any other pokemon in my lineup (which is still in the making) that can learn SR.

another dilemma: my staryu's nature is Quiet, meaning -10% speed but +10% spA. I havn't trained it yet tho so should I rebreed the staryu? if so what's a good nature for staryu?
    You can get Heal Bell from the move tutor in HG/SS if you have the BP. Did you use vitamins? If not, then you really should, since it's a "free" 100 EVs.

I think Timid's the preferred nature for Starmie...if you're running a Rapid Spin set you'll need the extra speed, so I'd rebreed.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    You can get Heal Bell from the move tutor in HG/SS if you have the BP. Did you use vitamins? If not, then you really should, since it's a "free" 100 EVs.

I think Timid's the preferred nature for Starmie...if you're running a Rapid Spin set you'll need the extra speed, so I'd rebreed.

yes I plan on using vitamins once I get the tedious part of the EV training done :)

I play pearl who teaches forgotten moves to a pokemon. worked on my togekiss, i learned air slash with that technique. but when i went there with my chancy he said he had no moves to teach it?

another unrelated question - since wild pokemon have no EV's would it be faster than breeding then hatching to just catch a wild version of the pokemon i want until i get it with the right nature? I could then check it's IV's in a wifi battle set to lvl 100, right?

trying to speed up this whole breeding process so I can get to the EV training part already haha.

BTW

Thank you guys who have been posting for giving me so much advice. This thread is being a HUGE help to me :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2010
    go to smogon. You look at all the recommendations for your pokemon. Mix and match and do what you think works best for you.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    go to smogon. You look at all the recommendations for your pokemon. Mix and match and do what you think works best for you.

ive been reading smogen pages like a hawk. I just prefer hearing the opinions of people on this forum to help me make some of my final decisions :)

Back