• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forums.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    it can be the person's fault while still acknowledging that they misused the internet in a way that was detrimental to them.

I believe that's what I said. The Internet is a tool, and like any other tool it can be abused. Whether or not it is detrimental to people is something only the individual can decide. In the end, other people's opinions don't really mean much, if anything.

You only need one counterexample to destroy your argument of "it's not detrimental to anyone".[FONT]

I apologize if you misunderstood. But that wasn't my argument at all. My argument was that only and individual can decide what is detrimental to their well being. My argument was that a person cannot make a blanket statement that using the Internet, and more specifically forums, is detrimental to a person's well being. That assertion assumes that all people are of the same mind-set, which obviously isn't the case.

Some people need pushing.

Some people when pushed retreat even further. We have to be careful here.

Yes yes I know the internet is your savior and lover and whatever whatever, I said "for me" so I don't need another lecture on how wonderful you think the internet is for every single person on the planet based on your book-selling or whatever it is.

It's amusing to learn that you think the internet is my "savior and lover."

Years
    If forums are your primary form of communication with other human beings, I'd be worried if I were you. You need normal, physical contact. Eye to eye, face to face. You know, kinda what they were made for.

They can be a great hobby and a great distraction, yes. But when it stops being a hobby like Nick said, that's where you need to draw the line and re-enter the real world. Don't delude yourself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Forums are great for me. It's not really doing anything productive, but I still love meeting all the new people here. Of course you still need offline friendships and such, but like other people have said, it's a great distraction, and it's fun.

Back