• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Four Islands Four Tiki Gods

StormChatot

Your Local Parrot Guy
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    I actually considered this too, since there are four islands meaning a guardian for each one. As other people have already said Tapu Koko is probably Kane.

This would also be the first time there's a legendary group made up of four pokemon- most are 2 or 3. (The Swords of Justice don't count, cuz Keldo was just kinda tacked onto the end.)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I actually considered this too, since there are four islands meaning a guardian for each one. As other people have already said Tapu Koko is probably Kane.

This would also be the first time there's a legendary group made up of four pokemon- most are 2 or 3. (The Swords of Justice don't count, cuz Keldo was just kinda tacked onto the end.)

Let us hope that they don't save one of the four for an event like they did Keldeo...

Years
    I think we will see a guardian for each island. The E3 stuff pretty much told us that, and I think they will be like Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie.

However, we also have a man made island, and a man made Pokemon. It could be that it's not a set of four, but a set of five with Magearna. Magearna isn't a guardian of the islands so much, but a guardian of Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    And Magearna got a new look revealed back then.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2019
    This isn't trying too hard at all. It has basically been proven with Topu matching exactly what a Tiki God is supposed to do and the fact that it is a Tiki when flying.

Rayquaza was based on more than just Ziz. And also, We have been right on almost everything since BW came out based on wise. The Musketeersd still use swords and have Sacred Sword, which was there signature move when it first came out. Solgaleo is not based on the sun, it is an emissary of the sun. But not based on it.

And all legends are inspired by something in mythology. And this is what the four guardians are inspired by. I just don't think it is possible to prove that theory wrong. Even if they don't look like Topu, they may still have similarities of the 4 Tiki Gods.

I agree with you and it's precisely as you say, they're similar to the legends. It looks like tapu koko is probably based on kane but it's an electric/fairy chicken XD.
    It's like, imagine we were told there would be 4 Pokemon based on the story of the three musketeers, would you have predicted quadrupeds? Would you have been able to predict their types?
    I enjoy speculation of course; that's what I'm here for! I just meant to say that they're often only based loosely on things and like you said can be based on multiple things.
    In hindsight "try too hard" was the wrong way to phrase it, my bad. I mean to say that we should expect a Pokemon twist to the mythology.

With all that said, I really like the idea that the other 3 could be fire/water/grass. That's been a staple of Pokemon since the beginning with red/blue/green/yellow and all the starters ever since. Also matches the rainbow theme with islands being named after colours.

Years
    I agree with you and it's precisely as you say, they're similar to the legends. It looks like tapu koko is probably based on kane but it's an electric/fairy chicken XD.
    It's like, imagine we were told there would be 4 Pokemon based on the story of the three musketeers, would you have predicted quadrupeds? Would you have been able to predict their types?
    I enjoy speculation of course; that's what I'm here for! I just meant to say that they're often only based loosely on things and like you said can be based on multiple things.
    In hindsight "try too hard" was the wrong way to phrase it, my bad. I mean to say that we should expect a Pokemon twist to the mythology.

With all that said, I really like the idea that the other 3 could be fire/water/grass. That's been a staple of Pokemon since the beginning with red/blue/green/yellow and all the starters ever since. Also matches the rainbow theme with islands being named after colours.
    speaking of rainbow. I think that the other four will have their color, black, and white, and a color that isn't red, yellow, green, or blue. I see the Grass one being Green and indigo. The Fire one being Red and orange, and the Water one being blue and purple.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Currently I am thinking it will be Natural vs Technology or New vs Old. That seems to be how it is going right now. I still think it may be based on the Rainbow Theory.

It would be awesome to see Fire, Water, and Grass for the other 3. But there is that well known 5th one who is the daughter of Kane and is the Goddess of Natural Forces like Fire, Lava and Lightning. I am thinking she could be a Mythical.

I do hope they all stay Fairy, but that may not happen.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think there will be four island colours each with its own guardian. We already know Tapu Koko is the guardian of MeleMele (Yellow) which leaves the remaining three Island that I'm thinking will be Oma`oma (Green), Ula`ula (Red), and Polu (Blue).

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2016
    To be honest I think this theory is wrong. I think the island 'guardians' are based off of the First Nations totem pole, not Hawaiian tikis.

Tikis are always humanoid in general. When Tapu Koko closes his 'shield' it looks remarkbably like a bird, and the mythical 'thunderbird' (how convenient that Tapu is electric typing) is very common on totem poles. Totem poles also depict animals which can morph much like Tapu Koko seems to change when shielded.

This part might be a stretch but I also don't think they are all technically guardians. More so the heritage of each island is represented in each one of them (good or bad.) And near the end of the story they will come together to solve a problem.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I have to disagree. With how close they are sticking solely on Hawaiian Myth and History. Why in the world would it be based on a totem pole? Especially when tiki are very prominent in the Hawaiian Islands.

Your idea follows the Rainbow Theory, but I still think it is the tiki gods. Especially when the Strange Souvenir we got was a tiki. And it said it was the Guardian of the Region.

Edit: It is possible that they may be inspired by both things. But with there being 4 Islands, 4 Tiki Gods, and 4 Guardians. I don't think it is right. Not to mention the 4 Gods are protectors of the islands.

Last edited:

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    To be honest I think this theory is wrong. I think the island 'guardians' are based off of the First Nations totem pole, not Hawaiian tikis.

Tikis are always humanoid in general. When Tapu Koko closes his 'shield' it looks remarkbably like a bird, and the mythical 'thunderbird' (how convenient that Tapu is electric typing) is very common on totem poles. Totem poles also depict animals which can morph much like Tapu Koko seems to change when shielded.

This part might be a stretch but I also don't think they are all technically guardians. More so the heritage of each island is represented in each one of them (good or bad.) And near the end of the story they will come together to solve a problem.

I have to disagree. With how close they are sticking solely on Hawaiian Myth and History. Why in the world would it be based on a totem pole? Especially when tiki are very prominent in the Hawaiian Islands.

Your idea follows the Rainbow Theory, but I still think it is the tiki gods. Especially when the Strange Souvenir we got was a tiki. And it said it was the Guardian of the Region.

Edit: It is possible that they may be inspired by both things. But with there being 4 Islands, 4 Tiki Gods, and 4 Guardians. I don't think it is right. Not to mention the 4 Gods are protectors of the islands.

I think we should just wait and see, they could be combining both. Even though most of SM is getting inspiration from Hawaii, that doesn't mean it can't draw inspirations here and there from other places. Let's not forget that Hawaii is also part of the United States, so there's still a chance of inspirations from other parts of the states as well... and that includes the Narive American cultures as well. Look at Unova in BW2, they had a brand-new area that was likely based on Hawaii when there's no such tropical climate in New York-New Jersey.

Years
    I think we should just wait and see, they could be combining both. Even though most of SM is getting inspiration from Hawaii, that doesn't mean it can't draw inspirations here and there from other places. Let's not forget that Hawaii is also part of the United States, so there's still a chance of inspirations from other parts of the states as well... and that includes the Narive American cultures as well. Look at Unova in BW2, they had a brand-new area that was likely based on Hawaii when there's no such tropical climate in New York-New Jersey.

She's right, not everything we've seen in Alola is entirely Hawaiian-influenced, we even had some new Pokemon who are based on species not found in Hawaii, such as Litten who is a Japan-native Iriomote cat and Komala who is a koala, obviously an Australian species.

I still think that we could get three other versions of Tapu Koko that are green, red and blue respectively. I can definitely see the green and blue ones being Grass and Water-type with the same secondary Fairy-type, while the red one could be a good opportunity to finally introduce the Fire/Fairy combination.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Something interesting to point out, but notice how Tapu Koko hasn't been classified as either a Legendary nor a Mythical. So is it and the other island guardians just ordinary Pokemon?

Years
    Something interesting to point out, but notice how Tapu Koko hasn't been classified as either a Legendary nor a Mythical. So is it and the other island guardians just ordinary Pokemon?

Maybe they are keeping its status under wraps or something. The fact it has a signature move (and ability) makes me think it could end up being a Legendary since most recent legendaries have moves or abilities that are only learned by that legendary.

Years

I mentioned to Hikamaru by VM a couple days ago that perhaps we'll see a new category that's similar to Mythical and Legendary Pokemon.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I mentioned to Hikamaru by VM a couple days ago that perhaps we'll see a new category that's similar to Mythical and Legendary Pokemon.
    Considering that there are potentially four tiki guardians, and Legendaries usually only come in groups of two or three, a new category wouldn't be out of the question.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years

Wouldn't that make things too complicated? Still not really sure what Mythical Pokemon really means, I just thought there was Legendary and Psuedo-Legendary, with Mytichal just being a way to describe some of them. I guess there could be a "Guardian" category.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Wouldn't that make things too complicated? Still not really sure what Mythical Pokemon really means, I just thought there was Legendary and Psuedo-Legendary, with Mytichal just being a way to describe some of them. I guess there could be a "Guardian" category.

The Mythical Pokemon are the ones that are similar to Legendaries but they can only be obtained through a special event. Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi just to name a few:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mythical_Pokémon

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    The Mythical Pokemon are the ones that are similar to Legendaries but they can only be obtained through a special event. Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi just to name a few:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mythical_Pokémon

Thats kinda a weird change. I could probably understand stuff like Mew/Jirachi/Manaphy ect style as Mythic Pokemon, but I feel like Arceus feels more 'legendary' to me. I understand they're separating them as events, though I feel like it should be more lore wise.

Years
    Thats kinda a weird change. I could probably understand stuff like Mew/Jirachi/Manaphy ect style as Mythic Pokemon, but I feel like Arceus feels more 'legendary' to me. I understand they're separating them as events, though I feel like it should be more lore wise.
    I remember someone explaining mythicals as powerful Pokémon that are rarely seen that their existence is in doubt, like the elusive Mew. If only they actually did it that way. Guardians could be powerful Pokémon of lore that are seen and interact with the people.

Back