• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Framerate

TY

In the gaming world of today, framerate is actually one of the most, if not the most important factor when making/playing a video game. A low framerate means the game will be slow as hell and feel laggy and just ruins the experience completely, whereas a high framerate brings more life into a game. The framerate depends on 2 things usually: your PC's/console performance and the settings you apply in the game (in terms of textures and things that eat your PC's/console performance). People love to play at a high fps because it feels good. Console gaming usually got locked at 30fps which is not the best, kinda bad imo. Next-gen consoles have said to improve this and it is noticeable in some games, but there are still games in which the framerate gets locked at like 45fps. PC however is completely different in that regard since you can change the graphical settings in a PC game.

Is the framerate important to you? Are you satisfied with 30 or 45fps, or is that just ridiculous to you? At what framerate is a game enjoyable according to you?

Discuss this ^_^

Girl

04/07/14
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2014
    With most games -- If I'm not averaging around 60 FPS, then I won't even bother playing. I'm more tolerant when I'm playing on console, but I rarely use devices other than my Gameboy and my PC to game.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    ^ Pretty much this.

If I'm not getting a steady 60 FPS, or at least close to, then I really don't want to play. I used to be a lot more lenient about it but suddenly it's almost frustrating if it drops too far below that mark. Guess after about 17 years of console gaming, I've spoiled myself with my computer. xP

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I think 45 FPS is the minimum a game should run at, running games at 30 FPS is unacceptable imo. It just feels so slow and laggy. Granted, there are certain genres/games that can get away with low framerates, however these games are never the ones to suffer from framerate issues as they are usually less graphically intensive. I think 60 FPS should be the standard, and its pretty sad that the XB1 and PS4 struggle to get 60 FPS even when at a lower resolution.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    60FPS much needed! much best!

Okay, how about no...
    Seriously, I don't give a crap about framerate... like yea, it flows more naturally with more FPSs but all I care is gameplay anyways.

TY

Okay, how about no...
    Seriously, I don't give a crap about framerate... like yea, it flows more naturally with more FPSs but all I care is gameplay anyways.

Even if a game has 10fps? :D

Years
    Framerate normally wouldn't be an issue for me because I barely pay attention to it, but after playing Drakengard 3 where the framerate is absolutely horrendous (and the constant lag has caused me to die a couple times) it does start to annoy me >>;; That's the only game I have an issue with regarding framerate, but in most games, I disregard it. From reading gaming articles though, it seems to be the most important factor, that and the 1080p, for gamers these days.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    60FPS much needed! much best!

Okay, how about no...
    Ah, good to know you do care about framerate. I thought you were being serious when you said otherwise!

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    30 FPS at the very least please. I'm fine with an occasional frame-rate drop here and there, but it shouldn't be consistent. Anyways, the only time I care about frame-rate is dependent on the genre of game I'm playing. If I'm playing a RPG as long as the frame-rate doesn't dip to 10 frames consistently, I'm not too picky about that. However, If I'm playing a fighting game and if I'm not getting at least a constant 60 FPS, I'd get miffed that I'd drop a combo or something due to the frame-rate dropping. Thankfully, I haven't played too much fighting games that do this.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I wouldn't normally think of frame rate as a problem. I don't find any difference in enjoyment as long as it's at an acceptable level and doesn't feel laggy. Can humans even perceive differences over 45 frames/second?

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Can humans even perceive differences over 45 frames/second?
    Yup. You'll be surprised on the difference from 30 FPS to 60 FPS is. It's not night and day, but it certainly has a nice flow to it for anything over 45 FPS, especially in comparison to 30. Honestly, it's better if you get to experience it for yourself since words don't really paint a good enough picture.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Can humans even perceive differences over 45 frames/second?
    Yes, otherwise it wouldn't be such a common complaint. Though, I suppose your eyes have to get accustomed to it to notice the difference.

Even then, it's more about responsiveness. A game with a lower framerate is factually less responsive. I easily notice it when playing Super Smash Bros Melee or F-Zero GX at 50fps as opposed to 60fps, as it's way harder to be precise with the former framerate. A 10fps difference can be huge in genres where precision is important.

It's why you never see 30fps fighters played at a competitive level, actually. Is there even such a thing as a 30fps fighter? :x Glad I never saw one.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I wouldn't normally think of frame rate as a problem. I don't find any difference in enjoyment as long as it's at an acceptable level and doesn't feel laggy. Can humans even perceive differences over 45 frames/second?

The magic number is 60. I usually lock my PC games at 60 because I use V-Sync. It does introduce input lag but I'd rather have that than screen tearing since I don't play multiplayer very often.

The higher the framerate, the better of course, and nowadays I think every console game should be optimized to have the best framerate possible. Gone are the days of the N64 where huge slowdowns were "acceptable". On the PC, however, it depends on how well you can run the game and how much eyecandy you want to have.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    My computer normally runs everything at 120 fps, at times when im on Multiplayer it'll go down to 60 and I've seen it peak on Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition at something like 231.{something} which I am just assuming is an error or miscalculation.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
    I only care about FPS if I plan on recording TAS-related videos, albeit just about everything I record below the normal FPS are mainly for the lulz.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I like it high and, more importantly, consistent. I'm willing to sacrifice graphics to ensure a consistently high framerate.

Yes. https://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7199031187?page=1

The magic number is 60. I usually lock my PC games at 60 because I use V-Sync. It does introduce input lag but I'd rather have that than screen tearing since I don't play multiplayer very often.

The higher the framerate, the better of course, and nowadays I think every console game should be optimized to have the best framerate possible. Gone are the days of the N64 where huge slowdowns were "acceptable". On the PC, however, it depends on how well you can run the game and how much eyecandy you want to have.
    That's only the magic number because most LCD screens refresh at 60 Hz. With a higher refresh rate, we could easily see a difference. As for VSync, it seems like in a year or two it'll be obsolete, which is fantastic because the fact that such a harsh tradeoff exists is annoying.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    There's an interesting post on the second page of that link from someone with (possible) actual qualifications that says 40 fps is an accurate optimum framerate for the human eye.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    There's an interesting post on the second page of that link from someone with (possible) actual qualifications that says 40 fps is an accurate optimum framerate for the human eye.
    Maybe for other reasons or just for convenience, but we can and do see framerate differences much higher than that.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    That's only the magic number because most LCD screens refresh at 60 Hz. With a higher refresh rate, we could easily see a difference. As for VSync, it seems like in a year or two it'll be obsolete, which is fantastic because the fact that such a harsh tradeoff exists is annoying.

So it's urban legend that we can't perceive anything beyond 60 fps?

Back