• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Free tickets to Japan from the Japanese government

Years

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/struggling-japan-to-give-_n_1003169.html

Announced today - the Japanese ministry of tourism is going to invite 10,000 foreigners to Japan - and pay for your travel.

Applications will be done through the internets and folks will be invited during 2012. Applicants need to submit their travel plans for when they are in Japan and if the government thinks that you truly intend to visit (and not overstay as an illegal immigrant) then they will pay for your return ticket.

The Japanese governments strategy for this plan is that they expect travelers to blog and use social media to spread the word about their experience in Japan which should hopefully lead to more folks visiting Japan.

The amount of foreigners visiting Japan since the earthquake and nuclear accident has decreased a ton - some prefectures like Yamagata have experienced up to 80% drop in overseas visitors.

The Japanese government is spending 1.1 billion yen on this project.

Initially, I commented that I didn't have the time to do this. Then I kinda realized that I really want to visit Japan during the summer if given the choice lol.

The Japanese governments strategy for this plan is that they expect travelers to blog and use social media to spread the word about their experience in Japan which should hopefully lead to more folks visiting Japan.

I think the international Otaku's will take care of that. xD

Last edited:

Nam

Years
  • I would actually love this. :O
    I've always wanted to go to Japan, and they're giving us the opportunity to do just that for free. ><
    Well, I imagine we'll have to pay for the hotels or whatever. xD But I think that just having the flight free is enough. How legit is this?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I heard about this and would love to do this. So much. Up until the last few months, the only reason I really wanted to go to Japan was to visit a Pokémon Center and even then, my interest diminished after Gen 5 came out because I only wanted to go see if there was any Cherrim stuff I didn't have (and it would be off the shelf by now). But I'm taking a Japanese Religions course this term and have become completely enamoured by what I've seen and learnt about shrines and temples in Japan. I'd love to go if only to visit them. *_*

I'm definitely going to look into this, and hopefully I'll have the chance to visit without saving up for years. :P

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
  • I think the international Otaku's will take care of that. xD

I thought the same thing. xD They don't need to get people to visit Japan to have them talking about what a great place it is. Lots of people here, including myself, have boasted what a place like Japan is to visit w/o having been there lol.

I wonder what are my chances of being selected. :cer_smile:

Years
  • I thought the same thing. xD They don't need to get people to visit Japan to have them talking about what a great place it is. Lots of people here, including myself, have boasted what a place like Japan is to visit w/o having been there lol.

I wonder what are my chances of being selected. :cer_smile:
    They probably want to get people besides otaku getting interested in Japan. If this ever gets off the ground, that is. /pessimistic

But I would love to get into this program and see someplace new. I could totally guarantee that I'd spend plenty of money wherever I went.

Years
  • They probably want to get people besides otaku getting interested in Japan. If this ever gets off the ground, that is. /pessimistic

But I would love to get into this program and see someplace new. I could totally guarantee that I'd spend plenty of money wherever I went.

Problem is, how would they know that the applicant is an Otaku or not. xD

Yeah, It's been a while since I last went on a tour of a foreign country. :U

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Auuugh, I want to do this so bad. ;o; If I ended up actually getting tickets I would probably cry. The bad part is that it would clash with my job unless I can somehow wait until after October of next year. Looking at the site now the apps start in September. Hmmm.

However, they pay for your plane tickets. What about the rest of tons of money you'd have to spend while there? xD; I can't find any info about that. /still looking

Years
  • "Thank you for visiting Japan National Tourism Organizati­on website.

Recently a number of media outlets have publicized articles about "Japan Offers 10,000 free flights to foreigners­", however it is subject to government budgetary approval, and no details have been decided yet. Therefore no related informatio­n is included in our website. "

"THIS IS NOT ACCURATE.
    THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT HAS NOT DECIDED YET TO OFFER THIS FREE FLIGHTS TO JAPAN PROGRAM, AND IF THEY DO, DUE TO BUDGETARY REVIEWS, IT WILL BE DECIDED AFTER APRIL, 2012. LOOK ON THEIR FACEBOOK SITE FOR THE JAPANESE TOURISM BOARD IF YOU WANT REAL UPDATES AS THEY HAPPEN."

found in the comments, but wonder if legit

Years
  • "Thank you for visiting Japan National Tourism Organizati­on website.

Recently a number of media outlets have publicized articles about "Japan Offers 10,000 free flights to foreigners­", however it is subject to government budgetary approval, and no details have been decided yet. Therefore no related informatio­n is included in our website. "

"THIS IS NOT ACCURATE.
    THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT HAS NOT DECIDED YET TO OFFER THIS FREE FLIGHTS TO JAPAN PROGRAM, AND IF THEY DO, DUE TO BUDGETARY REVIEWS, IT WILL BE DECIDED AFTER APRIL, 2012. LOOK ON THEIR FACEBOOK SITE FOR THE JAPANESE TOURISM BOARD IF YOU WANT REAL UPDATES AS THEY HAPPEN."

found in the comments, but wonder if legit

You just shattered my universe.

I wonder as well. That could be accurate. I mean technically this could be an idea that Japan is throwing around and are awaiting budgetary approval before actually doing it.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I'll add my insight to this. My friend and I travelled to Japan this summer and at the airport I took a survey for Tourism Japan. I was just asked to give my time of stay, estimates on the money I spent, and what industries my money went into the most. Also if the Earthquake affected my decision in coming to Japan.

I'm sure these things are fairly regular but she did mention that the Japanese Government had an increased interest in bring tourists to Japan.

Back