• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

freshmeat in UU

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
Years
  • Run 252 HP/ 96 Atk/ 160 Def on Quaggy. Its maeant more for physical walling. Your moveset looks a lot like Smogon's Cursesire set, which rlly isn't neccessary. For RestTalk, Keep Earthquake to stop Kabutops from switching in and setting up, and then use Stone Edge.

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • "Not true, the 20th anniversary nintendo power event on sept. 13 2008 no longer limits the nature for surfing pikachus. You're allowed to use timid surfing pikachus on shoddy also. "

I took out surf anyway due to all the suggestions, though i found it a bit useful for a suprise factor.

Years
  • ahh its nice to see other people interested in UU!!

just a couple things, you have a major lack of rapid spin, and as someone who abuses spikes and stealth rock, i'd reccomend it over explosion on claydol. i think its better to be able to switch claydol back in even at low health, set up another screen or rapid spin and then die naturally, allowing you to bring in another sweeper then it is to explode.

and camerupt, although it is pretty sweet, is frail to the max, and i dislike things that are 4x weak to such a common type. torkoal works good as at least he can be brought in on physical attacks and is able to explode, rapid spin and overheat as well, but it does lack earth power. solrock is another choice being able to fire blast, stone edge, e-quake among other things, and also able to explode and has a handy immunity to e-quake, something which nets supereffective against camerupt. overall though very nice!! i run a very similar pikachu and its always a special kind of awesome to see a pikachu kick some major butt.

if you ever want to battle UU let me know! most people use the same boring OU pokes, but with UU there are so many options its ridiculously fun to play in my opinion.

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • Well I'm not as skilled in OU either (though I'm not bad). The main tier I generally play in is the uber tier. But I thought I'd try UU for a change, and its going good so far. I can play you on UU on shoddy sometime, but I have yet to build this team for wifi. Solrock has terrible special attack, so I can't really replace camerupt with him. Torkoal has a 4x ground weakness, while Camerupt's ability solid rock lowers super effective and hyper effective moves.

Many things on my team resist stealth rock, and I don't see enough spikers in UU to make it a real concern for me as of yet.

Years
  • torkoal is mono fire type, so its only 2x weak to ground, and with a base 140 defense its not gonna hurt him much either to take an earthquake or residual stealth rock on the switch.

i ran some calculations, a modest gorebyss surf will always OHKO camerupt, with or without rain, with or without stealth rock, with or without a beneficial nature, and even with camerupt's solid rock ability. that same surf when hitting a torkoal will only do between 84.38 to 99.38% with a neutral sp. def nature. so pretty much keep both of them away from gorebyss, but torkoal fares a bit better and could explode, but would only do between 80.33 to 95% damage to gorebyss (neutral natures on both), but compare that with camerupt who's already dead with no chance to explode.

and unfortunately i never really got into the whole shoddy thing, but if you get a wifi team together count me in!

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Like you will keep either in on Gorebyss ._.

This is an offensive team so Rapid Spin isnt needed and just wastes turns (its useless outside of stall and "team ninjask, moltres, articuno , yanmega" anyway lol) and especially since no one here is weak to SR, no one uses T-Spikes in uu and most of the uu spikers arnt even used much.

And since torkoal cannot pull of a specs set or any offensive set NEARLY as well as camerupt, keep your current set up. "Being frail" is a moot argument for a sweeper too (otherwise Deoxys-A would suck =p) as is the the 4x weakness, since it drills most every water type pokemon which can take advantage of that 4x weak, HARD with either Specs HP Grass or Earth power on the switch in. (Its not even THAT frail for uu standards actually, but meh).

Last edited:
    Years
  • i'm just offering suggestions and i find that camerupt rarely poses a significant threat to any UU team with a single water pokemon, the most it can do is explode after it (hopefully) survives a surf. and without rock polish its hardly classified as a sweeper in my opinion. blastoise, dewgong, cloyster, octillery, politoed, poliwrath, and seaking, can all survive HP grass with minimal ev investment, but if they're going for a revenge kill, they all also outspeed and kill camerupt. not to mention its stopped in its tracks by grumpig and hypno probably the most common UU special walls. you'd have to rely on reflect or light screen to keep camerupts defenses up and most of these can outstall camerupt especially when its locked into choice specs and forced to switch.

i would also make the argument that spikes and toxic spikes are used much more in UU. in OU its crazy to try and get 2-3 turns of setup because everything hits fast and hard, but in UU its fairly easy for quilfish, cacturne, cloyster, omastar, or especially drapion to set them up and its always good to have your bases covered. but if in your opinion its not worth the loss of one moveslot out of 24 moves, then hey, take your chances and hope for the best.

back to my main point of i think it's better to keep claydol with rapid spin instead of explosion as after you explode pikachu, sharpedo, and especially camerupt are extremely vulnerable without light screen and reflect, and knowing that spikers wont decimate your team is enough for me to get rid of explosion. also, claydol is the only one that is immune to spikes and toxic spikes, so keeping him around even without rapid spin (and Not exploding) to switch into these and remove them is enough.

Last edited:

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • Well I generally don't use explosion with claydol anyway unless I'm absolutely sure it will die. Even then, I'd prefer to set up the other screen I haven't or whatnot so its generally filler anyway. Yeah I coulda sworn Torkoal was fire/rock, but I just checked it and it is indeed fire. Thing is with UU is that all the pokemon are generally flawed, there isn't one "perfect" pokemon that should be in every team. Otherwise it would be BL. Camerupt is like a cannon, he hits very hard with one shot and switches.

Pysncrono

Spriter / UU Battler
    Years
  • Its my first attempt, ever, in UU. So I don't really know how it works. So I'ma post my team so I can learn a little how the metagame works. Because of that, I somewhat stole the EVs of smogon's analysis =/.

claydol.png

Claydol @ Light Clay
    Careful / Levitate
    252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Sp. Def
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Stealth Rock
    Explosion

This Claydol sets the stage for my offensive team to sweep. It sets up important things, which patch up my team's rather frail pokemon, and when I don't really need it, it goes BOOM.

This gets completely shut down by Taunt. Your opponent Taunts, you have no move but Explosion. You switch out, they get a free set up. Change to a Taunting SR lead, like Nidoqueen or a scarf trick like Banette.

camerupt.png

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
    Quiet / Solid Rock
    252 HP, 6 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk
    Explosion
    Overheat
    Earth Power
    HP Grass

Looks like a watered down Heatran. Still, Overheat does massive amount of damage with Choice Specs. Earth Power is for when I don't want to use heat, HP Grass is for bulky waters like quagsire and gastrodon, and Explosion is for when I know it will die.

Camerupt is too slow for a CSpecs set to be used effectively. Use the Rock Polish or Scarf set. Alternatively, if you have to use a Specs Sweeper, use Ninetales / Manectric.

pikachu.png

Pikachu @ Light Ball
    Timid / Static
    6 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
    Thunderbolt
    HP Ice
    Grass Knot/surf
    Substitute

Pikachu is the Deoxys-A in UU. This thing is a beast, and even more deadly with a substitute. Thunderbolt is for obvious STAB, grass knot and HP Ice is for coverage. With some nice prediction, substitute pushes even the best battlers to their limits to beat. I guess what's holding this thing back is its rather average speed, but unlike Deoxys-A in ubers, it can take one mild attack in UU.

Pikachu should be Mix with Focus Punch Sub T-Bolt and Grass Knot to be able to deal damage to Clefable and other Special walls effectively. It also leads to better sweeps.

hitmonlee.png

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
    Jolly / Limber
    252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Close Combat
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Mach Punch

Another gun in my team. Not many things like to deal with Hitmonlee. Close Combat is typical STAB, Mach Punch to finish things off, and everything else is for coverage.

Seems fine, although the three types have somewhat redundant coverage together. Change Stone Edge to Ice Punch as a) you'll hit stuff like Venusaur / Meganium b) It does more damage than Stone Edge to Altaria, whom your team could have probs with after a DD or two.

sharpedo.png

Sharpedo @ Choice Scarf
    Mild / Rough Skin
    100 Atk, 232 Sp. Atk, 176 speed
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Surf
    Ice Beam

A great revenge killer. STABed Crunch hurts and the EVs patch up sharpedo's lower but still decent special attack.

Looks fine

quagsire.png

Quagsire @ Chesto Berry
    Impish / Water Absorb
    252 HP, 64 Atk, 192 Sp. Def
    Rest
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake
    Curse

Quagsire is FTW. He is hilarious, and is a great pokemon. He has many options, so he's quite unpredictable.

Yeah, Quagsire is awesome. You may wanna consider Gastro again due to Stockpile and Recover, two things it has over Quagsire.

Yeah so thats my team. I don't really know anything at all about UU so I'd like as much criticism as possible (constructive criticism.) I wanted an offensive team, but my team is rather frail. Well from what I know, I guess thats why they are called UU pokes- they all are generally flawed bulky pokes, average-mediocre all around stats, or extremely frail sweepers, or a mixture of all

Apart from all that stuff, your pokes have some good synergy. I cant think of threats off the bat now, but seems like it should do well with some moveset changes!
    Hope I helped, and good luck!!

Back