• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Friend safari or Regular safari?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
  • ORAS: (Hoenn) Friend Safari?

So, as you all know, the release date for ORAS is getting closer with each day passing by. Pokemon X and Y have already been out for over a year now, which gave us plenty of time to play these games, and (for example) hunting down all Friend Safari Pokemon :)
    Even though I really hope the Battle Frontier will make it's appearance again in ORAS (like it was back in Emerald), but the idea of the Friend Safari returning in ORAS seems really fun and accurate for me as well. :)

I'm not sure whether the Friend Safari will return in ORAS (maybe not because it's a remake or it was not possible anymore to program this in the game), but part of me kinda hopes it will, I really had a lot of fun spending time in there! It was also a fun concept to discover your friend's safari and exclusive Pokemon you could not encounter anywhere else! ^_^

I think it may be a nice idea if the Friend Safari replaces the Hoenn Safari Zone before Lilicove City at Route 121 (only available in Emerald at the time), which you can access after the Elite Four (and National Dex) or something. :3

So, what do you guys think? Would you like to see a return of the Friend Safari in ORAS? And if so, where should it be located? :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It seems to me like the DexNavi and the secret soar locations will be replacing the Friend Safari. They fill a similar purpose, since you can get hidden abilities, special moves and pokemon with high potential through the DexNavi......and you can get pokemon not native to Hoenn in the secret soar locations.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    It's been confirmed that all the legendaries that weren't in XY will be in ORAS (except event ones of course) so I think it's fairly likely that there's an emphasis on having almost every pokemon available between just the 6th gen games. Given that, I figure there will be a something like a friend safari where a lot of non-Hoenn pokemon can also be obtainable.

I also think part of why they'd they've put so many pokemon in XY and will probably do likewise with ORAS is because of how easy it was to hack pokemon into the games gens 4 and 5, so the idea is the more pokemon that can be legitimately obtained in gen 6, the better.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    That depends on how they define 'event legendaries'. Ho-Oh and Lugia were event Legendaries in Generation 3.

Years
  • That depends on how they define 'event legendaries'. Ho-Oh and Lugia were event Legendaries in Generation 3.

Ho-oh and Lugi have been confirmed to be in OR/AS, so I'm pretty sure they mean Mew/Jirachi/Deoxys/etc when they say event legendaries.

Anyway, I hope they do bring back the Friend Safari if only because of the possibility of having HA Hoenn and Johto starters in them, the latter of which aren't currently obtainable legitimately so that would be especially nice. I have a feeling it's probably not going to happen, but I can dream...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I hope they bring back Friend Safaris, and have different Pokemon options than XY within them. I can definitely see them being in the same area as the Hoenn Safari Zone, since the Friend Safaris aren't actually that big so it would be easy to cut off a little area for them.

MarcEddy

TheOneAndOnlyPokemon
    Years
  • It would be nice to get both. But if it's a remake, go with safari.

since chrome messed up on me and didn't get a poll heres the original poll https://strawpoll.me/2856563 forgot to put both fml

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I think it'll likely stay the way it was in the originals, which in this case is a regular Safari Zone. Game Freak have so far been making these games look so close to the originals so it's expected that will be the case.

pkmin3033

I'd prefer the regular safari zone - friend safari was a nice idea, but it was too random in terms of what you got from it. At least with the normal safari zone you know what you can get and where...it's just a lot harder to get it. But I'd take that over the uncertainty any day. Hopefully they'll go with the original safari since these are remakes...although I don't see why they can't include both. But then, they do like taking things out for no discernible reason between games.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I hate Safari Zones.

I think ORAS will have a Safari Zone, but Safari Zones are bad, period.

I don't know if I told this in the 4th gen journal thread, but catching a male Yanma with Speed Boost and a good nature in the Great Marsh was one of my worst gaming experiences of all time. It simply won't stay in the ball, and it almost always flees in the first turn. I don't wish such torment upon even my worst enemies.

Last edited:

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    The Friend Safari was one of the worst new features introduced in X and Y.

I shouldn't have to be forced to search the Internet to find people to add just to be able to use what was a standard feature in previous generations.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'd like for them to put a new twist on the Safari Zone, although they'd probably keep that for the next generation.

I just don't want another Friend Safari.

Years
  • The Friend Safari was interesting, but we haven't had a proper Safari Zone since... HGSS! I'd like to see the original Safari Zone return, perhaps it could have some new twists to make it more interesting (like HGSS' Safari Zone)?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The normal Safari Zone, but all the Pokemon there still have at least two perfect IVs. Also Ditto should be catchable in there. They could add a couple of more areas after you've beaten the E4, kinda similar to the Safari Zone in HG/SS which allowed to catch gen 4 Pokemon after the Pokemon League.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Just give us the good old safari but add the HA and at least 2 IV pokemons. The only problem would be catching them with Safari Balls using pokeblocks.

Years
  • Just give us the good old safari but add the HA and at least 2 IV pokemons. The only problem would be catching them with Safari Balls using pokeblocks.

Basically this. The Friend Safari was alright and all, but there is something to be gotten out of the classic safari style gameplay.

At the same time I could get why people may not like the old safari as it was.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Regular Safari Zone is great, and most of us are used to it, which is definitely understandable (considering how many games they have featured the place in thus far), but personally, I'm a lot more fond of Friend Safari, to be honest.

First and foremost, their new version of Safari seems to house a better range of Pokémon, and includes those which many of us might find valuable, such as Charmander, Torchic, Treecko, and so forth. Alongside, it also has us utilize our Friend Codes, making better use of them. Though, only down-side I see for this feature is, those who don't have access to wireless internet at home could possibly miss out. For them, I believe it'd be nice if they were able to find a better middle-ground, so to speak.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    Unless they change what pokemon are in the original safari zone I want Friend Safari instead, if they added pokemon like the new megas (pigey, hoenn starters), and ditto (this needs to be in every pokemon game IMO) with hidden abilities + minimum 2 perfect IVs I'd be happy with the safari zone, gives you something to go through trying to get TMs and all, maybe a mega stone will be in there...

Back