• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Friend Safari Shiny Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I couldn't find a thread for this, so here we go. It's been widely speculated that the Friend Safari has a higher shiny ratio than other regular wild encounters, but there seem to be as many people doubting this as believing it. Without any hard evidence to go on, it's hard to say who is right.

What are your experiences in the Friend Safari regarding shinies? I've just started recording the number of Pokemon I encounter before each shiny, and so far this is my tally:

Shiny Braixen after 71 encounters
    Shiny Electabuzz after 60 encounters
    Shiny Vullaby after 208 encounters
    Shiny Tangela after 454 encounters
    Shiny Manectric after 697 encounters
    Shiny Azumarill after 21 encounters
    Shiny Doduo after 35 encounters
    Shiny Quilladin after 239 encounters
    Shiny Aipom after 1110 encounters (I think I'll stop the experiment here)

I'll be updating this as I go along. [Note: I have the Shiny Charm]

Last edited:

LuminescentUmbreon

Eeveelution Trainer
    Years
    I've only had two experiences with wild shinies which is a Zoroark that I got by chaining, but the other was a random Aipom that I stumbled across while looking for Ditto in a safari. I don't know if it was because I was in a safari that made it appear or if it was just pure luck that I found it in one, but considering I've never seen one appear outside of it, aside from the Zoroark, leads me to believe the chances are increased. I found it in about 30 encounters and I do not have the shiny charm.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I haven't been able to encounter any shinies in Friend Safari at all, unfortunately. I wish, though. Heard that it's more common to find shiny Pokémon there, but is this actually the case? Or am I getting it wrong? :P

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Prior to having the shiny charm, I've flushed out 100+ Friend Safaris to look for the three Pokemon and I haven't seen a shiny yet. :( I haven't explored it much since obtaining the Shiny Charm. The flat rate may be as good as 1/1365 (or 3/4096, as Serebii says BW had 3/8192 flat rate).

This is all I've read about it otherwise:

Redditor dekuNukem, who was also responsible for creating the Automatic Shiny Finder contraption for Pokemon X and Y, conducted his own mini research regarding Shiny rates in the game. One of the additions to the modified Automatic Shiny Finder is that there is now a data logger that will encode the number of encounters that occurred before a Shiny appears.

This will then be saved on the SD card, and based on his own experience, he listed down some of his discoveries about the Shiny Rate in Friend Safari so far.

From the data obtained from Friend Safar A and B, with the former having Ponyta, Pyroar and Ninetales, while the latter has Ponyta, Braixen and Charmeleon. According to dekuNukem, there are over 18,000 encounters in total in the two Safaris, all of which are offline.

He was able to gain three discoveries. The first is that the Shiny rate is much higher in Friend Safaris. The second is that the Friend Safari Shiny Rate differs with every Friend Safari. And lastly, there may be patterns of Shiny encounters depending on the Friend Safari you are in.

In his data, he saw that Friend Safari A logged around 838 encounters while B only required 370. This could explain why some people are able to find Shinies in just a few tries, while others spend a lot of time and still don't get anything from it.

dekuNukem poses another possibility for the Pokemon X and Y Shiny phenomenon, "If I have to take a guess, the phenomenon here might have a lot to do with the newly discovered Shiny Value that everyone is using to hatch shiny eggs."

Still, the theories have been made using only the data above, and dekuNukem does acknowledge that a larger sample size is needed to do any confirmations.

Last edited:

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    It's kind of weird but all the shinies i have met up to now are all from the friend safari

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    I do believe that we have higher chances of getting shinies in Friend Safaries. :3
    The very first shiny I encountered in FCs was a Metang, and that was during the time I was trying to check what their Safaris have. It was the very first Metang that popped in their Safari, and I remember that I just stared at the screen, thinking my game glitched or something, 'cause for all my life, I've never seen a shiny Metang before. xD

So back to the topic, yesh, even though it's still based on luck, we have higher chances of luck in there. :3

I'm still angry at that shiny Chansey (6 minutes inside an FC) that killed itself with its Take Down after I used False Swipe on it >:/

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    He was able to gain three discoveries. The first is that the Shiny rate is much higher in Friend Safaris. The second is that the Friend Safari Shiny Rate differs with every Friend Safari. And lastly, there may be patterns of Shiny encounters depending on the Friend Safari you are in.

Very interesting! I half-expected that the rate is different in each safari, even with my limited data, but I thought I was probably just having some weird luck :P The patterns idea is interesting too... maybe something like Feebas in Gen III?

I'm still angry at that shiny Chansey (6 minutes inside an FC) that killed itself with its Take Down after I used False Swipe on it >:/

I had a shiny Basculin use Final Gambit once when I was chain fishing. On the first turn. The words that came out of my mouth do not bear repeating. From that moment on I have always started off by throwing a Quick Ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2014
    I found a Shiny Shuppet in about twenty encounters the first time without even searching for any Shinies xD Then Shiny Kecleon in another safari after about ten encounters- I was on and off my 2DS for about three hours - then it took three weeks in the same safari - using sleep mode, but I kept my character in the safari  when I wasn't playing. I can't count how many Pokemon I ran into in that time ^^; - to get a Shiny Eevee :D Now, I'm currently trying to hunt down a Shiny Braixen and so far, after three days of the same method as with my Eevee, nothing. But we'll see what happens! 

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    A thread that has not been posted in for more than a month (generally around 30 days) is considered "old". Please do not revive old threads. If there's a topic you're interested in but the thread is too old to be posted in, create a new thread. Exceptions do apply in certain forums, so check the rules to see if they're exempt. Sticky threads are also usually exempt.

We can't bump old threads according to our forum rules, so I'll have to close this one. :( Sorry, guys. If you like, you're always free to create a new thread about this, though!

Thread locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back