• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

From Steel to Ice

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    So, for the longest time, Ryoku Renzo, my RP character that I've used since the days of Pokemon Red, has been a Steel type trainer since the typing came out. But a new dawn has risen and the ice is cold enough to stand it! I am making this switch for my character after a long process of pondering and imagining.

Renzo's personality is very cold and withdrawn but strong. Steel seemed to match that but then I started thinking about the properties of Steel and the fact that it doesn't "give" much at all. Ice however can be chipped away at in multiple ways. I didn't want Renzo to come across as though he'd never warm his heart to anything or anyone, to "give", so Ice makes more sense for what I've got in mind.

His new team:
    (Keep in mind that this is all for RP purposes and not competitive play)

From Steel to Ice

Glaceon (Renzo's main pokemon, not kept in a pokeball)
    Ability: Snow Cloak

~Ice Beam
    ~Quick Attack
    ~Hail
    ~Barrier

From Steel to Ice

Weavile
    Ability: Pressure

~Night Slash
    ~Fury Swipes
    ~Swords Dance (changed from Agility)
    ~Ice Shard

From Steel to Ice

Mamoswine
    Ability: Snow Cloak

~Double Hit
    ~Mist
    ~Blizzard
    ~Earthquake

Last edited:

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    glaceon: blizzard>hail.

On weavile, swords dance would probably be better over agility considering that no one really has many pokemon that have base speed stats of over 115 and also you have priority in ice shard so +2 speed would be useless. Also, brick break/low kick>fury swipes to hit steels.

Then for momoswine: stone edge>double hit,ice shard>blizzard.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    Hmm...I can see where you're coming from for Weavile. There is no sense in giving them some moves for RP purposes if they are sortof pointless in-game anyway. So, Agility for Swords Dance is a good move. On Glaceon, i'm not sure. I gave her the Icy Rock, extending Hail's use and gave Blizzard to Mamoswine (sortof thought of him as my huge heavy hitter and blizzard is a heavy hitting move). For RP and looks, I thought Ice Beam looked cooler for Glaceon while Blizzard is better for Mam. Not sure. I'll study into it a bit more.

Actually, I'm also considering a triple Dark team instead. I might put both conceptual teams up and run a poll.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • If you're considering making an Ice type team, there's one Pokemon you absolutely must have:

Abomasnow.

Abomansow's ability creates permanent hail in battle, meaning Mamoswine will be harder to hit, Glaceon could use a Blizzard with perfect accuracy (The strongest Blizzard in the game), and all non Ice types will be hit by the hail for some damage. Abomasnow also provides type coverage against water types, which could KO Mamo and resist all of Glaceon's attacks.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    @Zaroas: So, you would then suggest, of the three, dropping Weavile for Abomasnow? I'd have to drop one since I only run three, not four.
    And I suppose with Abomasnow ability, I should replace Hail with something else on Glaceon?

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    replace glaceon with abomasnow, they both do the same thing, set up hail, and provide some bulk.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    replace glaceon with abomasnow, they both do the same thing, set up hail, and provide some bulk.

I would drop Weavile before Glaceon for the RP aspect.

-----

If I do the dark team instead, it would consist of:

From Steel to Ice
    From Steel to Ice

The third and final spot would go to one of the following (can't decide yet):

From Steel to Ice
    From Steel to Ice
    From Steel to Ice
    or
    From Steel to Ice

Thoughts on doing the Ice team or Dark team?

Last edited:

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    I think either or will work fine, your ice team has a bit more offence to it than the dark team but each carry equally powerful threats in ttar and weavile. In an in game aspect though, dark is probably the way to go because of the better typing you get with the resistances and and only two super effectives attacks being fighting which is quite common and bug which is hardly ever seen. Also, for the final slot, a houndoom is probably the your best option, nasty plot houndoom is pretty beast if i must say so myself.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Like Cheeky said, I'd say do the Dark team. It seems a bit more offensive, although with a bit less startegy. It also offers more resistances.
    Actually, what I'd do is swap Umbreon for Spiritomb for a handy Fighting type resistance. I'd also say add in Houndoom for some special coverage.

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    on spiritomb you could run a curse pain splitter, will o wisp, destiny bond or straight out attacker, all would work well. It is all up to preference, do you want offence or residual damage.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I've decided to focus more on my RP back story of Ryoku (before he got his first Pokemon) and then choose the monotype he'll train from that.
    In his youth, he grew up on plane. His single father was the captain of a popular jetliner that flew across wide oceans to many different regions. One fateful day though, the plane went down. His father died that day and now Renzo, present day, has a hatred for flight and a cold, withdrawn personality. Though stone he may be, however, Ryoku has heart and the strength to overcome odds.

Based on this, I'm thinking of going with a Pokemon type that is super effective versus flying (ice, rock, or electric) or should I stick with a type that is based on his personality (steel, ice)? Seems like Ice falls under both his past and his personality but I think I'm leaning towards Electric.

Yep...I am.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Back