• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Full Albums or Individual Songs?

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2015
    94% of the time I listen to a full album.

Basically this. Only times I'll be listening to individual songs is when I'm having a wild night or when a friend's over. Details concerning my wild nights will not be provided.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    About 90% of the time i listen to individual songs, that way its always something different.
    Sometimes when im listening to a certain artist and i really feel in the mood, ill listen to an album

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    For me it depends on the genre. Like for metal or dubstep and some jazz I prefer the full albums because they tell stories and flow together nicely. With pretty much any other genre I would rather just sit and listen to one or two songs off the album.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I'm more of an individual song guy myself. I've only bought two full albums, while the rest have been individual songs. I just like individual songs rather than albums because I'm pretty picky about what goes on my I-pod, and the song better be good if it's making it on there. :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    For me it is impossible to decide. Whilst some albums are absolutely essential to listen to in their entirety at least once, there are also many where that's unnecessary. An album is essentially a journey. There are also many powerful songs that are able to take you on a journey that might be shorter, but just as incredible. I'm sure we can all think of a handful of favourite songs that we'd much rather listen to than a lot of albums out there.

Guest123_x1

I'm more for going for individual songs, especially when shopping for music (when I go to thrift stores such as Goodwill, I usually head to the records section, and I prefer to look for singles such as 45s and 78s, both formats which are pretty hard to come by these days.)
    Whenever I listen to an album, I may play like one or two songs over and over, then move on to some of the other tracks, which I repeat the process if they are particularly good. For compilations, I usually go through the entire disc(s), repeating songs that I really like (which can be most of the tracks on the set.)

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I really do lean towards liking individual songs as I tend to listen to them on repeat out of enjoyment, and for the fact that albums I wholeheartedly like are few and far between.

With that though, comes the benefit of an attraction to all genres of music, giving me a rather eclectic taste in music altogether.

Years
    I am all about full albums. Almost obsessively so. If I have an album on my ipod and I know a songs missing it throws me off. I guess that's because usually if I like an artist I like at least one full album of what they do.

It's interesting to think that before the long player was established through rock music in the 1960's and 1970's there were only 45's and 78's. Artists relied on just two songs on a release and then released many 45's or 78's.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
    I generally like to listen to a whole new release by an artist a couple times through, then sift through the songs, and pick the ones I like and don't like, and separate them. I then proceed to expand my already too large Spotify playlist with the songs I liked.

I really prefer single songs, however some albums have just worked for me, and I like the whole album! Some examples of those kinds of albums would be:
    Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones (Including Let You Down, Revelation, and Victory Call) from Black Veil Brides
    Silverthorn from Kamelot
    Set The World On Fire from Black Veil Brides
    We Stitch These Wounds from Black Veil Brides
    Indestructible from Disturbed
    Ten Thousand Fists from Disturbed
    The Sickness from Disturbed
    Asylum from Disturbed
    The End Is Where We Begin from Thousand Foot Krutch
    City of Evil from Avenged Sevenfold
    Inhuman Rampage from DragonForce
    The Power Within from DragonForce
    Homesick from A Day To Remember
    Radiocalypse from Downplay
    Something For Nothing from Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!
    Punk Goes Pop Vol. 4 from Punk Goes
    Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2 from Punk Goes
    Punk Goes Pop Vol. 5 from Punk Goes
    Move Along from The All-American Rejects
    Save Rock and Roll from Fall Out Boy
    Collide With The Sky from Pierce The Veil
    The Sound Of Madness from Shinedown

When I said SOME, I meant pretty much all of them.

Some (And just some this time.) singles or single songs I like include:
    Miss Murder - AFI
    When You Were Young - The Killers
    Bad Mother♥♥♥♥er - Biting Elbows
    Hey baby, here's that song you wanted - blessthefall
    My Own Worst Enemy - Get Scared
    Du Hast - Motionless In White
    The Feel Good Drag - Anberlin

Then there are those bands that I like a lot of songs from, or just a few, but not enough to be like a full album. Such as:
    AWOLNATION (Sail, Not Your Fault, Kill Your Heroes)
    Lordi (Would You Love A Monsterman, Blood Red Sandman, Devil Is A Loser, Hard Rock Hallelujah)
    Crush 40 (I Am All Of Me, Open Your Heart, Live And Learn)
    Owl City (Fireflies, Good Time)
    Linkin Park (In The End, Bleed It Out, New Divide, Burn It Down, Numb)

Yeah, I generally prefer single songs. I mean my Spotify playlist is 769 songs strong, and like 10 full albums. I like too much music, OK.

Back