• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen full guide for ev training!!! just.. read it and post something!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_migs123

i love trading.. =)
    Years
    Table of Contents: Preguide................................................................ForwardPreguide..........................................................What are EVs?Preguide..............................................................QuestionsSection 1..........................................................Wild PokemonSection 1.1..................................................................HPSection 1.2..............................................................AttackSection 1.3.............................................................DefenseSection 1.4......................................................Special AttackSection 1.5.....................................................Special DefenseSection 1.6...............................................................SpeedSection 2............................................................Vs. SeekerSection 2.1..................................................................HPSection 2.2..............................................................AttackSection 2.3.............................................................DefenseSection 2.4......................................................Special AttackSection 2.5.....................................................Special DefenseSection 2.6...............................................................SpeedClosing Junk.......................................................Contact InfoClosing Junk........................................................Legal StuffClosing Junk............................................................Credits If you want to jump quickly to a certain part of the guide, you should be able to copy the whole line and search for it. Ex. Highlight it. Press CTRL+C, CTRL+F, then CTRL+VSection 2............................................................Vs. Seeker If that fails for some reason, you can type in the section name. Ex. Highlight it. Press CTRL+C, CTRL+F, then CTRL+VSection 2.6 Or if it is a section with more than one thing in it, such as the preguide, typethe specific part. Ex. Highlight it. Press CTRL+C, CTRL+F, then CTRL+VWhat are EVs? The end. I will try to implement a number system in a future update. Until then, I hope my guide serves you well! ###############################################################################Preguide................................................................Forward############################################################################### So you found out about EV training, eh? Or maybe you dont, and you clicked on this guide in hopes of finding out. I might give a short description, but thathas already been done by the other guides here on Gamefaqs. Figure that youre ready to start your self EV training yourself and start some competitive battling? Well maybe not... Sure its all well and good to know that you can getthree EV points from a Salamence, but is that really the best and fastest way todo it? Well this guide is here to tell you the best and most convenient ways to EV train your pokemon. This guide will have a list of some of the best places inthe wild to train each stat, and then some trainers you can fight with the VS.Seeker that give good EVs. Why make this guide? Because I see the same questions every day on the message board and thought I could cut down on some ofthem. So credit for this goes to all the people on the message board, for helpand for inspiration. ###############################################################################Preguide..........................................................What are Evs?############################################################################### Well, like I said, these have been covered already, but I assume you know what they are. However, I am sure this assumption is incorrect in some cases, so I might as well put it here. EV is short for Effort Value . Every time your pokemon wins a battle and getsexperience it gains an EV point in specific stat? Which stat does the pokemongive a point in? Well, I will not be answering that here, there is another guide dedicated solely to that purpose and to post it would be a waste of my time and theirs. Okay, so each pokemon gives a point. What do these points do? Well, when you get four in a single stat, that stat will increase by one extra when you level up. SWEET! That means I can fight a million Bidoofs and give my Mewtwo 250,000HP? Well, no, unfortunately. There are limits to how many EV points you can get, and this is why people EV train. Altogether, you can only have 510, and a single stat can only have 255.Why waste those points in stats you are not going to use? My Gyarados doesnt know any special moves, so why waste the points there? I will put them all in to attack instead. Using EV points, you can give two stats a bonus of up to 63! Also, just to save you some time, I will tell you that you should only put 252 EV points in to a stat, even though you can put three more. Why? Because 252 is the largest number divisible by four that goes in to 255. So you would waste3 Evs. Unfortunately, you can not stop some waste, and the EV spread people usethe most is 252 in one stat, 252 in another, and 6 in the last. This has the minimal amount of waste. So I have to fight 252 of a certain pokemon... ok... that sounds like a lot. Well I have some good news for you! There are ways to speed this up. There isa rare condition your pokemon can get called POKERUS. This does not harm your game or your pokemon in any way, it actually doubles the rate you earn EV pointsat. There is also an item called the MACHO BRACE that double them again. So each point is actually worth four. Saves a lot of time, eh? There are also the power items that you can buy at the battle tower. I will tryto explain them. Each item adds four to the EVs you would already be getting. So if you fight a magikarp, and have the power item for speed, you get five EV points. In case you have the POKERUS at the same time, you add first then double. So these are even faster then the MACHO BRACE. The power items are: _____ _____ _____ _____ / Name | Stat \ |-----------|-----------| | Weight | HP | | Bracer | Attack | | Belt | Defense | | Lens | SP Attack | | Band |SP Defense | | Anklet | Speed | |-----------|-----------| \_____ _____|_____ _____/ Okay, so it is a horrible box, give me a break, it's my first one! At least it's easy to read, right? Another thing that can shorten your training is the vitamins that you can buy onthe second story of the mall. They give 10 EV points in their stat. It's easy to figure out which stat, just check with the description. If you ever wanted to take EVs away, just use the berries. They are easy to identify for the same reason as above. They will take away 10 EV points, or if you have more than 100, they will lower them to 100. If you have no idea aboutthe EV's of a pokemon, 11 berries will always lower them back down to zero. Iwould just save first, so you aren't wasting berries. ###############################################################################Preguide..............................................................Questions############################################################################### Okay, so people still have a lot of questions? Well look here for some of the most common questions I have answered. Q: If I use the experience share, will the EVs be split and shared, like the experience? A: The answer is no. Both pokemon will get the same amount of EVs. The full amount. The end. Wait, one more thing. Bonuses from POKERUS and the items won't be passed on. The pokemon will be getting the normal amount it would. Unless of course, IT has POKERUS. But it still can't hold the item, because it is holding the Exp. Share. Q: Okay so I was EV training my pokemon, and I got like, a lot of EVs, but when I leveled it up, it didn't increase by a lot! What gives? A: You gain the stats from EVs on the way to level 100, not the second you levelup. You might not even notice that you stats are going up extra. One way to make them go up all at once is to have a level 99 pokemon and EV train it. There is only one level left, so they gain all the stats at once. In other situations, it is distributed on the way to level 100. Q: Can level a level 100 pokemon be EV trained? A: The answer is no. Your question might be a variant of this one, but this explanation should cover them all. You only gain EVs when you gain experience.Level 100 pokemon gain no experience, so they gain no EVs. Q: My pokemon stopped taking the medicine! Why? A: Your pokemon will only take medicine until the EV points in the stat are above 100. Then it will stop. So you can only use 10 of each if you start withan untouched pokemon. Q: I heard about rare candies that... A: Ok, here's my answer. Rare candies are completely safe to use. They don'taffect your Pokemon in any way other than level. Forget myths you have heard.The ONLY way to harm a Pokemon's stats is to level it up to 100 before the Pokemon has all its EVs. So as long as the EV traing gets done before 100,you're safe. Of course, there have been other questions, I forgot, or haven't gotten. Keepasking, and this section will grow. ###############################################################################Section 1..........................................................Wild Pokemon############################################################################### Okay, the first section of the guide... Pretty self explanatory. This sectionis a list of the good places to get those EVs from wild pokemon. I find that using the VS. Seeker with the Exp. Share is much faster, but many people like tobe able to get the training done at low levels and using the pokemon. For thisreason, unless demand calls for otherwise, I am going to try to locate the lowest leveled location possible. I most likely wont go in to much detail inthis part, because there are hundreds of places you could theoretically EV train, and Im only going try to use the best lowest level. There will be nodifference which method you use, and in certain cases wild pokemon can givefaster EVs. This section of the guide will be in the following format. Where: The route(s) in questionWho: The pokemon that we are after followed by (the points they give) Comments: Any notes I might have about this place or method. Another nice thing with wild pokemon is that you can use the pokeradar to starta chain and find more of the same pokemon in a row. This is nice and definitelyone of the pros for EV training in the wild. Now Ill start with the REAL firstsection. ###############################################################################Section 1.1..................................................................HP############################################################################### Where: Route 201Who: Bidoof (1)Comments: Very easy for low level pokemon, and Bidoofs are very easy to find.With the pokeradar you hardly ever see anything else. Plus, killing Bidoofs isfun. Where: Valley WindworksWho: Shellos (1) Bidoof (1)Comments: Just average, nothing special about it, but it works. Where: Route 222Who: Gastrodon (2)Comments: It gets the job done, but the pokemon are a bit higher level. Thiscan be good or bad, depending on your pokemon and what you want. Where: Surfing on Route 212Who: Wooper (1) Quagsire (2)Comments: You have to surf, but I'm pretty sure they are all that appear. ###############################################################################Section 1.2..............................................................Attack############################################################################### Where: Route 202Who: Shinx (1)Comments: Not really a great place, I recommend it only be used because it isthe first place available. And the shinx dont really come along that often without the pokeradar. Where: Route 212Who: Kricketune (2) Bibarel (2)Comments: It works too, much better than shinx. Where: Route 208Who: Bibarel (2) Machop (1)Comments: I think this route has less variety in pokemon than the one above, making a bit better. I could be wrong though. Where: Acuity LakefrontWho: Snover (1) Machoke (2)Comments: This is one of my favorite places to train physical sweepers. The only other pokemon around here all give speed EVs. Namely Sneasel, Meditite,and Medicham. Handy. See the speed section for exact details. Where: Lake ValorWho: Seaking (2) Gyarados (2)Comments: Higher level wild pokemon, and you need to beat the elite four to getthe super rod to catch these guys with. Otherwise fine. Also note worthy is Unknown, found in the cave right of Solaceon Town. I didntlist them with the above because they also give Special Attack EVs. They give 1attack and 1 special attack. ###############################################################################Section 1.3.............................................................Defense############################################################################### Where: Oreburgh Gate, Left of Oreburgh CityWho: Geodude (1)Comments: I think this is the first place in the game you can get defense EV?s.Could be wrong. Where: Oreburgh MineWho: Geodude (1) Onix (1)Comments: I think it is a bit better than the above one, and mere seconds away,so why not use it. Still, there are better places. Where: Ruin Maniacs CaveWho: Hippopotas (1) Geodude (1)Comments: Works Fine, I don't think there's anything to run away from... Where: Iron Island MinesWho: Graveler (2) Onix (1) Steelix (2)Comments: This one is pretty good, I like it, and you almost always run into Graveler. Where: Snowpoint TempleWho: Graveler (2) Onix (1) Steelix (2)Comments: I think you need a floor other then the first for these to appear. You need to run from Sneasel and Golbat, or you can train speed too, though I don't know why you would need defense AND speed, but, whatever. At least theseguys are higher level. ###############################################################################Section 1.4......................................................Special Attack############################################################################### Where: Route 204Who: Budew (1)Comments: Pretty much the worst option here. But I think it is the first placepossible. Where: The old Chateau in Eterna ForestWho: Ghastly (1) Haunter (2) Gengar (3)Comments: Pretty much the best option here. They are the only pokemon that appear here. Haunter and Gengar only appear if a GBA pokemon game is in your DS, and I think you have to be in the room with the eyes. Where: Lost Tower on Route 209Who: Ghastly (1)Comments: Up here because the only other pokemon that is here is Zubat, which gives 1 speed, making this an ideal special sweeper training ground. Where: Route 229Who: Roselia (1) Gloom (2)Comments: This is late in the game, and I think you might need the national dex,limiting this ones usefulness. But good for higher level pokemon. Where: Resort Areas pondWho: Golduck (2)Comments: Wait... this could be the best option here... I am fairly certain Golduck is the only pokemon that appears in this pond. I guess it depends on how often you can find Haunters and Gengars. Also note worthy is Unknown, found in the cave right of Solaceon Town. I didntlist them with the above because they also give Attack EVs. They give 1 attackand 1 special attack. ###############################################################################Section 1.5.....................................................Special Defense############################################################################### Where: Route 223Who: Tentacruel (2) Mantyke (1)Comments: I cant even think of an earlier place... this place is good though. For this section I couldnt really think of anywhere. So I listed this. There really isnt much variety here, as the only other places I can think of are othersea routes. If you choose to use another route, Tentacool gives 1 point as well. ###############################################################################Section 1.6...............................................................Speed############################################################################### Where: Route 201Who: Starly (1)Comments: Yeah, it is slow, but it is the first place I the game. They appear often though and even more so with the pokeradar. Where: Caves With Zubats and GolbatsWho: Zubat (1) Golbat (2)Comments: There are tons of caves, and almost all of them have these pokemon.So instead of picking one, I just wrote this. Where: Victory Road PondsWho: Golbat (2)Comments: I think only Golbats appear. Where: Trophy Garden of Pokemon MansionWho: Pikachu (2) Pichu (1) Staravia (2)Comments: I like this one, it is pretty easy. And remember that everyday a newpokemon is put in the garden, which could add more to this list. Where: Lost Tower South of Solaceon town.Who: Zubat (1) Murkrow (1)Comments: Why list this again when there are better options? Ghastly also appears here, which give 1 Special Attack point, making this a good place to train Special sweepers. Where: Surfing on Route 228Who: Poliwhirl (2) Poliwag (1)Comments: I think only they appear. Supposedly it's sandstorming here. Where: Acuity LakefrontWho: Sneasel (1) Meditite (1) Medicham (2)Comments: A good place to train physical sweepers, because the only other pokemon her give attack. Check that section for those details. Where: Route 225Who: Spearow (1) Fearow (2) Rattata (1) Raticate (2)Comments: There are a lot of them. And higher level. ###############################################################################Section 2............................................................Vs. Seeker############################################################################### That marks the end of the wild locations and brings us to the Vs. Seeker. Of course, some people wont agree with my choices as to what I put in the wild pokemon section, so feel free to send me suggestions. Well the Vs. Seeker is my favorite way of training pokemon in certain stats. Why? I just walk one hundred steps, use the Vs. Seeker, and am guaranteed a battle with someone who gives me a decent amount of EVs. My format will have tobe a little more detailed here, so that you can find the trainer. Here it is. Where: Location, and a brief description of where on that routeWho: The name and type of trainer we are looking for What they have: The Pokemon that the trainer has and the approximate max levelsTotal Evs: The EVs gained in the stat from fighting this trainer Okay? Good. Now before I begin, I just want to say that I have tested some ofthese, but not all, so bear with me. I do not have all the exact location, justthe routes on most of them. I have also heard that sometimes a pokemon evolves and so the total EVs are off, or completely different. Please inform me of thisand I will test it further. Notice in my format, how I say max? Don't email me saying that when you foughtthe trainer, they sent out lower levels, or unevolved guys. Fight them some more and their levels will go up to what I have listed. I have heard reports ofsome trainers not evolving for certain people, and I don't know how to help you there. I guess you could use him as is, or keep trying. Credit goes to:Jiggy37 on Smogon ###############################################################################Section 2.1.................................................................HP############################################################################### Where: Route 209. She is standing at the top of the sand for the bikeWho: Cowgirl ShellyWhat they have: 5 Bidoof around level 15Total Evs: 5 Where: Route 210Who: Bird Keeper BriannaWhat they have: 2 Noctowl around level 40Total Evs: 4 Where: Route 212Who: Fisherman TravisWhat they have: 3 Barboach and a ShellosTotal Evs: 4 Where: Route 213Who: Tuber JaredWhat they have: 3 Gastrodon around level 50Total Evs: 6 Where: Route 219Who: Tuber MarielWhat they have: 2 Marill around level 30Total Evs: 4 ###############################################################################Section 2.2..............................................................Attack############################################################################### Where: Route 203Who: Lass MadelineWhat they have: Staraptor and Bibarel around level 40Total Evs: 5 Where: Route 213Who: Swimmer SheltinWhat they have: 3 Gyarados around level 30Total Evs: 6 Where: Cycling Road, third male from the topWho: Cyclist JohnWhat they have: 2 StaraptorsTotal Evs: 6 This trainer doesn't evolve for some people. He stays with Staravia, changinghis EVs to speed. For this reason, he is in both sections. Use the one yoursis. Where: Route 214 Who: PI CarlosWhat they have: 3 Seaking around level 60Total Evs: 6 This trainer doesn't evolve for some people, and I had an old listing. But mineevolved, along with some others in emails, so this is the correct one. Where: Route 218Who: Fisherman MiguelWhat they have: 2 Gyarados around level 50Total Evs: 4 Where: Route 222Who: Fisherman AlecWhat they have: 2 Gyarados Around Level 50Total Evs: 4 Where: Route 222Who: Rich Boy Trey. He gives lots of moneyWhat they have: 1 Luxio around level 60Total Evs: 2 Where: Route 225Who: Ace Trainer QuinnWhat they have: 1 Pinser and 1 Mightyena around level 50Total Evs: 4 ################################################################################Section 2.3..............................................................Defense################################################################################ Where: Route 210Who: Ninja Boy FabianWhat they have: 3 Geodude around level 20Total Evs: 3 Where: Route 212Who: Collector DominiqueWhat they have: 3 Geodude around level 20Total Evs: 3 Where: Route 221Who: Collector IvanWhat they have: 3 Hippopotas around level 50Total Evs: 3 ################################################################################Section 2.4.......................................................Special Attack################################################################################ Where: Route 212Who: PKMN Ranger JeffreyWhat they have: 2 Prinplup around level 20Total Evs: 4 Where: Route 212, you will need cutWho: Scientist ShaunWhat they have: 2 Alakazam around level 50Total Evs: 6 Where: Route 214Who: Psychic MitchellWhat they have: 1 Haunter and 1 KadabraTotal Evs: 4 Where: Route 214Who: Collector DouglasWhat they have: 3 RoseliaTotal Evs: 6 ################################################################################Section 2.5......................................................Special Defense################################################################################ Where: Route 210, is FoggyWho: Ninja Boy DavidoWhat they have: DustoxTotal Evs: 3 Where: Route 230, need SurfWho: Swimmer SophiaWhat they have: 2 MantykeTotal Evs: 2 Where: Route 230, need surfWho: Swimmer MalloryWhat they have: 1 Seel 1 DewgongTotal Evs: 3 ################################################################################Section 2.6................................................................Speed################################################################################ Where: Route 205, on the bridge, the second fisherman from the rightWho: Fisherman AndrewWhat they have: 6 Magikarp Level 10. This is definitely the easiest and best.Total Evs: 6 Where: Cycling Road, third male from the topWho: Cyclist JohnWhat they have: 2 Staravia around level 40Total Evs: 4 I am leaving this here, but I don't really know if I should. I have confirmedthat the Staravia trainer does evolve, which changes the EVs to strength. He will be in that section as well, with his max levels. ################################################################################Closing Junk........................................................Contact Info################################################################################ Okay, so now we reach the end of this guide. It was fun for me to write, but now it is the end. Of course, I am sure I missed things, and there can alwaysbe improvements, so feel free to contact me at the following email: A lexcalibur [email protected] Remove the spaces. This is just to get rid of some spam. I will try to respond to everything I get. No guarantee anymore, becuase I am busy, but here are some reasons why I might not answer. So if I do not answer, a few things could have happened. 1. I have not received it yet. If it has been a reasonable time since you emailed, check my email and try again. 2. I am out of town. If I still do not answer, it is probably this one. 3. You offended me in some way and I stopped reading. Profanity, among otherobvious things will do this to me. Just use you head. I can take constructivecriticism, but do not like hate mail. ################################################################################Closing Junk.........................................................Legal Stuff################################################################################ I will keep this short. Nobody is allowed to use this guide without my permission. It may not be reproduced in any form except for private use. Ifyou want to host this on your website, ask and I will most likely let you. Unless you break my rules, in which case I will not. If you put this on yoursite, do not edit it without permission and be sure to give me, the author credit. Follow this and we will get along fine. Sites allowed to host:Gamefaqs.comSupercheats.comNeoseeker.comPokemon National LeagueForum Pwnamon I don't even know if some of these have it up yet, but I gave them permission,so... whatever. Copyright 2008 Jorge Vergara All trademarks and copyrights contained in this document are owned by their respective trademark and copyright holders. ################################################################################Closing Junk.............................................................Credits################################################################################ My friends, for keeping me interested in pokemon. The message board, for ideas and inspiration. Gamefaqs and CJayC for hosting this. You, for reading this. One I have to give credit to, for making the Vs. Seeker list: Jiggy37 on Smogon Everyone else. Eventually (hopefully soon), I will go through my emails again,and this list will grow. Because I didn't write them down the first time.... And with that, I close my first guide for now. I hope to write more in the future, and hopes this one helps!

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2011
    Just for future reference, that is unreadable (text layout is wrong)

Use some of the html tags to line it up, or use some of the posting tools.

Asday

PokéFreak. Nuff said.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2011
    Holy god, someone give this man some linefeeds! \n <br /> ¶

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back