• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Full Playthrough

Years
  • So basically I have started my HG game again. Started my main runthrough that will pretty much consist of me doing everything possible in the game.

So here it is, what I have so far.

Typhlosion - Level 43
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Lonely
    Moveset:
    Flame Wheel
    Flamethrower
    Shadow Claw
    Swift

Typhlosion has a somewhat limited movepool to work with so being a Fire type I have Flamethrower in there. Shadow Claw is more for type coverage and Swift is sort of a backup option if accuracy gets killed. Will replace Flame Wheel, just not to sure what with. Maybe Focus Blast.

Gyarados - Level 42
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Naive
    Moveset:
    Bite
    Ice Fang
    Surf
    Aqua Tail

This is a poor moveset for Gyarados, just haven't been bothered to do anything with it. I will be keeping Ice Fang there to destroy Clair and Lance. I life Surf more than Waterfall so I'll be keeping it also. I have a HM slave for Waterfall and Whirlpool. Aqua Tail will go, probably to be replaced by Dragon Dance, despite it really not suiting my style of gameplay. I was thinking either Thunderbolt/Outrage/Dark Pulse for the final slot. Still unsure though.

Larvitar - Level 24
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Quirky
    Moveset:
    Screech
    Rock Slide
    Scary Face
    Thrash

Only just added Larvitar to my team. So nothing is new here about its moveset or anything. What I was planning on was something along the lines of Crunch, Earthquake, Rock Climb, ?.
    I want to make full use of its high physical attack stat, so Crunch over Dark Pulse. Just unsure about the final slot.

Any moveset suggestions are welcome, by now alot of you might know that my style of battling is highly offensive.
    Also I would like any suggestions for pokemon that I might add to my team. I only want a team of 5 at the most. I've never really been a big fan of having the full 6. I had thought of Exeggutor as an option, adding both a grass and a psychic element to my team. The other type that I need to add in is an electric. Just not sure which pokemon to go with.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • I agree. Focus Blast over Flame Wheel on Typhloshion.

For Gyarados:
    -Waterfall/Aqua Tail
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -Dragon Dance
    -Ice Fang

This is a much better moveset for Gyarados. Waterfall is better on Gyarados than Surf. Gyarados' Attack stat is higher than its Special Atk, meaning a physical move like Waterfall works better than a special move like Surf. Aqua Tail also works, but it's less accurate than Waterfall, and Waterfall has a flinching chance. Ice Fang is nice against Clair/Lance and other Dragon types. Rock Slide is used to provide more coverage. You could use Stone Edge over Rock Slide, but Rock Slide's more accurate. You need to choose either power or accuracy in this case. A Dragon Dance or two can raise Gyarados' already impressive Attack, giving it nice sweeping abilities. That's probably one of the best Gyarados sets.

For an electric type, choose either Raikou or Ampharos, as they're the best in the game. If you don't want to waste your time catching Raikou, then Ampharos is your best bet. For Ampharos's moveset, use:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Power Gem
    -Signal Beam
    -Thunder Wave

Thunder Wave can slow down opponents, making it easier to either set up with an Atk/SpAtk -raising move, or start a sweep of your opponent's team.

Years
  • I now have a bit more to add to my team. So here goes.

Trainer: Chester
    Full Playthrough

Typhlosion - Level 52
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Lonely
    Moveset:
    Flamethrower
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Claw
    Swift

Altered this guys moveset slightly. Swapped in Focus Blast for Flame Wheel. I think the moveset will pretty much stay as is, unless there is a really nice change I want to make.

Gyarados - Level 52
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Naive
    Moveset:
    Dragon Dance
    Hyper Beam
    Ice Fang
    Surf

Ok, so I prefer Surf on my main water pokemon, even though Waterfall suits Gyarados better. So I will be keeping it. Haven't got the right TMs yet to be able to bail on Hyper Beam either so it can stay for the time being. Will either be replacing it with Rock Slide or Stone Edge.

Pupitar - Level 50
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Quirky
    Moveset:
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Payback
    Rock Slide

Will be keeping Crunch and Earthquake, as previously stated. Havent got the Rock Climb HM yet, so when I do, that will be added. Unsure still on the final 4th attack slot.

Haunter - Level 35
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Mild
    Moveset:
    Hypnosis
    Night Shade
    Payback
    Shadow Ball

A new addition to the team, I was thinking Shadow Ball, Psychic, Dark Pulse, ? as a moveset. Unsure on the 4th. Any ideas?

Abra - Level 10
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Bold
    Moveset:
    Teleport

Another new addition. Havent started training this guy, I realise having both Alakazam and Gengar in the one team might be a bit of overkill, but they differ a little bit for me.
    Calm Mind, Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball is the moveset I will be going with I think.

Elekid - Level 1
    Full Playthrough

Nature: Bashful
    Moveset:
    Quick Attack
    Leer

So basically only just hatched about 10 minutes ago. The only move I know for sure that I want to include for a final moveset is Thunderbolt.
    I have no desire to evolve into Electivire, at least not for the time being. I am more than happy keeping it at an Electabuzz.

Comment and suggest away. :)

Necrø

Paramore <3
    Years
  • I reccomend a better nature for you elekid and maybe get the egg move Cross Chop or any of the element punchs. Or teaching it Brick Break would be a decent move!

And Waterfall > Surf on gyarados for sure!

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Typhlosion
    It's moveset is OK, although you could swap Shadow Claw for Solar Beam. Solar Beam is a terrible move hwoever, so... Yeah.

Gyarados
    Blegh, not a good moveset. Waterfall > Surf like Necro said, and also Earthquake/Stone Edge over Hyper Beam. I know, it's the standard DD Gyara set in competitive battling, but it works quite well in game. I know you want to keep Surf, but it's seriously a very gimmicky move on Gyara, as is Hyper Beam.

Pupitar/Tyranitar
    Take away Payback. Crunch is much better for it. In place of it, I'd recommend Earthquake. Rock Climb is an OK move, but if you want to hit Grass types that can beat you for super effective damage, you could use Aerial Ace, but I think Rock Climb is better.

Haunter/Gengar
    Focus Blast is a MUST on Gengar. With Shadow Ball, it has perfect coverage, hitting EVERY Pokemon for super effective or neutral damage. Because of that, I don't think Psychic and Dark Pulse are very useful. You could get Thunderbolt to deal with Water types that otherwise lol at your team without Electivire/Electabuzz. As for a fourth move, HP Fire or HP Ice could work well, but those are pretty hard to get. You might be able to use Explosion to get a KO on something giving your team trouble, but I don't think it's a good idea. You could also use Substitute, but that's not a very good idea ingame. It's all about personal preference.

Abra/Alakazam
    I find Alakazam and gengar on the same team is kind of redundant, as they're very similar Pokemon in terms of movesets. A good moveset for Alazkazam could be Psychic, Focus Blast, Signal Beam, and Shadow Ball/Energy Ball. You could also use Calm Mind to up your Sp.Atk and Sp.Def.

Elekid/Electabuzz/Electivire
    Electivire is better than Electabuzz IMO because of a wider movepool and greater power, even thought it's Speed is a somewhat lower. With Electivire, you could go with a mized moveset of Thunderbolt, HP Ice/HP Grass/Psychic (lol), Flamethrower, and Cross Chop/Brick Break. You could get a ton of Super Effectivire (I'm terrible at puns) hits with it. You could also go all out physical with a moveset of Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Cross Chop/Brick Break, and Earthquake/Fire Punch. If ytou want to use Electabuzz however, you could use Thunderbolt, HP Ice/Grass, Cross Chop/Focus Blast, and Psychic/Substitute.

Years
  • So what I've done is I basically boxed everything and started a fresh team pretty much. Through trading and breeding and whatnot.
    What I have at the moment is;

Feraligatr lv.67
    Adamant
    Earthquake/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Fang

My main physical attacker. Hence the very physical moveset. Ice Fang to take care of its grass weakness and also the dragons in the game. Earthquake to destroy its electric opponents. Waterfall is obvious and Crunch for a good solid physical attack.

Ampharos lv.64
    Hasty
    Discharge/Thunder Wave/Power Gem/Signal Beam

I got way too impatient to be getting enough coins to buy Thunderbolt, so I might swap it in for Discharge when I get into Cerulean Cave later in the game. Discharge has served me well thus far though. Signal Beam and Power Gem are both type coverage attacks. Thunder Wave to slow down any quicker opponents.

Slowbro lv.51
    Mild
    Surf/Water Pulse/Confusion/Zen Headbutt

Had to get another water type, a special attacker at that, to make good use of Surf. The other moves in this set will all be going. Im only a few levels away from learning Psychic which will be very welcomed as Slowbro doesnt get much battling time because of its rubbish moveset. Other intended moves that Ive been contemplating are Ice Beam and Focus Blast.

Houndoom lv.40
    Rash
    Dark Pulse/Fire Fang/Howl/Headbutt

Dark Pulse > Crunch I feel because of Houndooms much higher Special Attack stat. Again though, all the other moves will be disappearing. Fire Fang will be replaced by Flamethrower. Howl to be replaced by Nasty Plot/Sunny Day. Headbutt I have yet to find a good replacement for, if I replace Howl with Sunny Day, the last move will be Solar Beam just to get that nice type coverage.

Staraptor lv.35
    Hasty
    Fly/Close Combat/Roost/Aerial Ace

Fly is mostly just to get me from region to region. Im spending way too much time walking everywhere when I could be training in particular areas. Close Combat to give nice coverage. Aerial Ace is going to be replaced by Brave Bird. Roost is to heal the damage taken with these last 2 attacks.

Aipom lv.24
    Adamant
    Scratch/Swift/Sand Attack/Shadow Claw

Soon enough will be an Ambipom. Shadow Claw I will keep so that I can hit Ghost/Psychic types for super effective damage. The other 3 attacks are going. Aerial Ace will be added in to cover my weakness to fighting types. Thunder Punch and Fire Punch are a couple of attacks I was thinking of throwing in, again, for coverage purposes. TP because I dont currently have any physical electric attacks going and FP for the same purposes.

Just a quick note, the back 4 pokemon on this little team have been later inclusions than the first 2. Im currently looking for a good area to train in, any help with that also would be appreciated.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Get Ice Beam > Water Pulse (surf is good enough) and Psychic over Confusion. For the last slot, Grass Knot (if it can learn it), Focus Blast or Calm Mind are all good options.

Years
  • I had thought of Grass Knot, and it can learn it but I thought of Focus Blast because it would add the coverage I need in case I end up against a dark type and all I have left is Slowbro. It can take a hit so even if FB missed first go, Id get another chance I would say.
    Ive gone for slightly different pokemon than I might normally go with.
    Those being the last 4.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • For Houndoom: Flamethrower > Fire Fang. Mostly because like you said, Houndoom's Sp.Atk is higher. Don't use sunny day since you have 2 water pokes and they'll be weakened in the sun. Use Nasty Plot.

And Brave Bird over Aerial Ace on Staraptor. Roost can heal BB's recoil damage.

For Aipom:
    -Double Hit (For evolution purposes)
    -Shadow Claw
    -Brick Break
    -Aerial Ace

Coverage is nice with Brick Break and Shadow Claw. Like you said, Aerial Ace takes care of its Fighting weakness and Double Hit at LV32 allows it to evolve into Ambipom when it hits the next level. You can probably replace Double Hit after it evolves with Fire/Thunder Punch. Or have Strength on it for a STAB attack.

Ice Beam over Water Pulse on Slowbrow and Psychic over Confusion. Shadow Ball on Slowbrow would work as well.

Ampharos' set is good, as is Feraligatr's.

Years
  • Suggestions on the final attack in Houndooms set if using Nasty Plot?
    I could still get away with using Sunny Day, the beauty of water types is their diversity. Between the 2 of them, they are only going to know 2 water attacks so it shouldnt really effect them much and anything that I might have needed to switch out to get a water type to take care of, Solar Beam can handle anyway really, that or Ill lead with Dark Pulse if its a fire type that comes out.

Im open to suggestions on those movesets. Im still working on most of them obviously, getting the TMs I need and BP that I need. I think this team is pretty alright though.

Also, Aipom evolved last night. :D

Edit: Im thinking about Flamethrower as the last attack for Slowbro. To take care of those pesky bugs that can hit me for super effective damage. What do you think about that?
    Also Im thinking about replacing Houndoom for Dragonite so opinions on that and offering options for a moveset?

Last edited:

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • Suggestions on the final attack in Houndooms set if using Nasty Plot?

I'd say Substitute really. It'll make your life so much easier when you're setting up. You see, the AI is really stupid in that it will attempt to use non-attacking moves when you're behind the Sub. Combine that with Leftovers recovery if you use them, and Houndoom's frailty, and you are making a rather defensively weak Pokémon surprisingly sturdy whilst simultaneously gaining free turns to set up in.

Im thinking about Flamethrower as the last attack for Slowbro. To take care of those pesky bugs that can hit me for super effective damage. What do you think about that?

Well, this is the Slowbro moveset I always run. With its natural bulk boosted by Calm Mind and Slack Off, it works absolute wonders.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
    • Bold Nature
    - Surf
    - Psychic
    - Slack Off
    - Calm Mind

Also Im thinking about replacing Houndoom for Dragonite so opinions on that and offering options for a moveset?

Try a DDNite.

Dragonite @ Leftovers / whatever
    • Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Roost
    - Fire Punch

or if you feel you have too much setup in this team, go for a straightforward attacker.

Dragonite @ Muscle Band / Choice Band
    • Jolly Nature
    - Extremespeed
    - Outrage
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake

Hope it helps. I'll provide more detailed explanations if you want me to.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • With or without Houndoom, you have a huge Electric weakness. Feraligatr, Slowbro, and Staraptor are all hit for super effective damage. Yikes.

Firstly, scrap Ambipom - Staraptor can literally do anything it can do (Besides leading), but better. Also scrap Slowbro, as it has kind of repeptitive coverage because of Feraligatr and adds to the Electric weakness. I'd recommend replacing Slowbro with Donphan, Mamoswine, or Dugtrio for an Electric resistance. I didn't say Steelix or Golem because quite honestly both are quite bad.

For the last slot (Replacing Ambipom), you can really add anything so long it doesn't add to a big weakness or anything. Make sure it isn't weak to Rock, Grass, Ice, or Electric. That means essentially any Steel type. So yeah, have a Steel type - They would really add to your resistances.

Back