• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Divergent (PG-16)

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    The room, the room was dimly lit. Only the flickering light of the candles saw the need to bring light to the dreary atmosphere. Even those lights started to fade away as a cold breeze blew through a nearby window. It would have been the room for Military officials meeting regularly, but the youth that had been invited in was the only one present aside from the host of the ordeal. He knew why he was there, roughly. A day or so ago, a citizen in Central had fallen victim to Xylica, a crystallization disease that seemed to have roots in alchemy, but without a cure.

"The world faces a terrible crisis," The cold words of Fuhrer Klein rang like the rusted church bells of a demolished building in the young man's ears. "We – no, I have been ignoring the issue for far too long, and now our people are beginning to pay the price for my inability to act." The man, this leader of a nation, his eyes were deader than those of any Ishvalan the young man ever saw during the war. He seemed almost fragile, but the youth knew that this man was not as weak as he were to lead on. He was the one who sent out the order for the Ishvalan Extermination after all. He was also the one who had opted not to take any real action against the disease, regardless of it's spreading reign in neighboring countries.

But still, despite knowing all of this, the youth would never forget the sorry excuse of a man that the Fuhrer seemed to be that day.

"State Alchemist brat! Like I'd let you keep that!" A booming voice snapped the young man back to reality. Where was he...? Oh, right, he'd been hit over the head with something. Sprawled out on the ground, he examined his location with blurred vision. He could feel the trickling of blood down his forehead as well. So he'd been hit with a blunt object amidst his escape? His right hand clenched around an object. The target: an artifact being held in the custody of an underground gang operating in Central. It was a secondary mission at the moment, but an opportunity presented itself when he was looking for potential help for his newest assignment.

He was in an alleyway, with a view of the busy street plain as day. People were moving about quickly though, so it was unlikely anyone would notice what was happening with all the hustle and bustle of daily life. Groggily, he got to his feet, knowing the one who had hit him was likely approaching. Was it an alchemist? Would explain how he'd been hit from a distance, and it was unlikely they'd send regular thugs to chase after him. "Ohh, the kid is back up. Anxious for another beating? If you'd like to give that amulet back, that'd be real fine."

His cloaked back to opponent, he didn't offer the enemy a look at his face. He had no intention of killing the man, so he had no intention of allowing him a chance to hunt him down afterwards. Though, he apparently already knew the young man's job as a State Alchemist, likely because... well, nobody else would likely show much of an interest in the item he took from their den. A Yin-Yang amulet from Xing. To the regular person, it would appear to be just a regular trinket, but it actually held a substantial value to one of Xing's many royal families. "Not really interested." He stated plainly as he crouched and his left hand touched the ground. Blue energy sparked off the cobblestone alleyway and crept up behind him, the ground erupting into a wall before taking off into the street. It wasn't significant, but it was enough to escape as he bolted down the crowded road until he'd committed enough distance between the thug and himself.

About half an hour later, he arrived at the exchange point. A pub known by the name of "The Angel's Light". It was the drop-off point for the artifact - a state officer would be picking it up. "You look like you went through hell! Would it kill you to complete an assignment without getting thrown around like a rag doll, Major Kuefer? Want to lose your other arm?" A familiar, ridiculing voice caught the young man's attention as an older looking officer sat down across the small table from him. "But seriously, Elias, shouldn't you be looking for people to help search for the Panacea instead of visiting assignments that are of lower priority.

Elias grimaced as his threw the amulet out on the table before the grey haired soldier before him. Elias had known George since he'd become a State Alchemist. He was a respectable man, and had been a great help over the course of his career. "Give me a break, George. I have no idea why the Fuhrer even put me in charge of looking for that 'cure', let alone require I find some innocents to bring along with me. My work isn't exactly safe to say the least."

"Well, orders are orders. With that disease spreading throughout the country, I figure the Fuhrer probably wants to explore every possible solution." He took the amulet from the table and rose to his feet, before turning his back to the boy. "It just turns out you got the more... interesting assignment. Don't worry! I know you're ability to meet people is crap, though, so I sent out a few letters requesting their aid in this ordeal. They should be here soon, so have fuuuuuun~"

"H-hey! Wait! You found people for me!? What the hell, man!" Elias called after him, his white hair swaying in the breeze, since the pub was open-air. It was no surprise that he received no response, though, leaving the young man with a pink-haired waitress who seemed to have approached with the commotion. Stupid George, inviting people to join his team! Putting civilians at risk!

The waitress seemed a little bit antsy as she fumbled with her clipboard, her blue eyes looking around at all the looks Elias was getting. She was a pretty little thing, dressed in a white apron with a white dress underneath. "U-umm... are you looking for the Panacea...?" She asked. Or... at least Elias thought he heard her ask. That was impossible, there was no way she should know of it.

"I'm sorry?"

"Er... welcome! Can I start you out with a drink?" Maybe he was hallucinating after all. Though, it was a little annoying that the girl kept staring over at the armless side of his body. Did it really catch that much attention? He figured there was nothing to do now but wait. If any of these people had any curiosity at all, they would show up. What kind of people they were, however, would be interesting. "...Or, maybe a cloth to wipe the blood off your face?" Oh yeah...

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Xylica. The crystallization disease. This new epidemic spread across like wildfire. The first known case of it in Amestris was actually a secret. It was never revealed to the public, as it would no doubt cause widespread panic. In East City was a man who has contracted it, and the military, fearing the worst, had already begun plans to completely seal of East City from the rest of the country. Lieutenant-Colonel Isaac Graanz had another idea in mind. Upon his request, he was transferred from his headquarters in South City to the bustling East City, where he would attempt to find a cure. Being the "Earth Alchemist", Isaac and his superiors thought that with his vast knowledge of the Earth Element, he might be able to prevent this illness, and find a cure.

Isaac thought the task was possible, but also very difficult. Most crystals tended to be made up primarily of the same elements earth was made up of, which was mostly Oxygen and Silicon. The task, therefore, would have been to find a cure using Isaac's knowledge of the Earth Element, with the assistance of the local scientists, and correct the irregularity.

Of course, this task was not accomplished in the way Isaac Graanz had hoped. Xylica was a tricky and bizarre, and even with his knowledge, apparently incurable. The infected one was dealt with in another matter, one not pleasant, and certainly not one that could be released to the public. For this, though, Isaac was promoted to Colonel, and given his post back in South City, with the intent of silence, which Isaac complied to. But Isaac knew this would only have been a temporary cure for the problem.

It had now been a while since that event, and Isaac was transferred, unexpectedly and rapidly, to Central City. Isaac knew not the purpose of this transfer, but was also unwilling to question his superiors. A few months have passed and since then, the outbreak of xylica had occurred, in Central City. It has been a days or so since this outbreak, and Isaac, although calm, has secretly started to worry.

While walking from his home to his stationed post, he received a letter. It clearly came from a military official, most likely an officer, but no rank. Problematic, Isaac though, but still something to be viewed. It apparently contained information about forming a team to find the legendary Panacea. Isaac read the letter over twice, making sure it was accurate.

It is an assignment from the Fuhrer himself, so it must be accurate, Isaac thought to himself. Still, quite interesting that such an unconventional method to stop this illness is now being implemented.

The meeting place, the pub by the name of "The Angel's Light". Isaac proceeded there with great interest. Before doing so, he called in to his secretary to let her know where he was. Upon arriving, Isaac sighed, before opening the door to the pub. He walked in, coolly, and with confidence. He would have to. He eyed the people there, before walking up to, who he believed to be, the one in charge of the assignment.

His rank was that of a State Alchemist, as said in the letter, so a Major. He was two ranks lower than Isaac, but Isaac saluted, either way, as a sign of respect to his fellow uniformed man. It was then he took in his appearance. His arm was the first thing he noticed, or more likely lack of one. His hair was rather similar to that of an Ishvalan, and his eyes, golden. His clothes, besides being dirty, were also unconventional, and worn under a dirtied red cloak and purple scarf. But had learned in the past to ignore other's sense in style, as he himself has an oddity in his darker uniform and sunglasses. But even this was borderline ridiculous.

He spoke after his salute.

"Major Elias Kuefer, I presume? I am Colonel Isaac Graanz. Having received a letter from you today at 0730 hours, I am here to discuss the assignment given to you by Fuhrer Klein and my participation, upon your request. Might I sit down?"

Isaac took in the State Alchemist's appearance once more, noticing a bit of blood on his face.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Determination gleamed through her eyes, her heavy bag thumping against her legs with every energetic step she took. In her head, she was already going through possible introductions and how she'd present herself. Aria Thorne. Medical student. Pleased to meet you. Or even, Hi! I'm Aria Thorne? I received your message and... Perhaps that was too awkward. Oh well, it didn't matter. She already felt the honor of being chosen to go out on this expedition to find this "Panacea."

It was exhilarating, really. The letter was clenched in her fist, and she had already memorized every word on it. They want me! she thought with glee, narrowly dodging a collision with another person. Me! I suppose my skills were noticed... But me! Once again, she avoided the incoming human traffic, noting how crowded the streets were. She knew the meeting point was not far at all from where she had been located in the first place, so she opted to go by foot. Not that it mattered. She reasoned she was thinking too much about this, but Xylica, the disease that claimed to ravage Amestris, was a big deal, was it not?

Finally, she stopped, short of breath. It was a pub called "The Angel's Light." Although relatively obscure, Aria had seen it a couple of times, and thought it odd to have such an important meeting at a pub, but who was she to question it? It could have been for privacy, personal preference, etc. Either way, she was on a path to help people, far greater than she could have ever imagined. With that in mind, she swung open the door.

Immediately, all her confidence from earlier dissipated. She meekly looked around, holding the letter even tighter. Just who am I looking for, again? She gulped, approaching the tall man with sunglasses talking to a guy who she personally thought resembled a homeless man.

"Hello, I, uh, got the letter- and- I'm Aria- uh-" She fumbled for words, face painted pink.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Elias scrambled to his feet at the arrival of his first guest. An unexpected one, to say the least, as his golden eyes first caught the uniform of the man. Black, yet blatantly the easily recognizable attire of a Colonel. The rest of the man's appearance was quick to be scrutinized by the half-Ishvalan. From the goatee to the fact that the man's eyes were shielded by a pair of dark sunglasses. The man was obviously older than himself. While Elias cared very little for the social queues of a military dog, he was still quick to rise and salute with his lone hand after the Colonel saluted and introduced himself. "Sir! Yes, please take a seat." Isaac Graanz... He had heard of this man while investigating the military. Apparently, he was promoted to Colonel without any public justification. How he reached that milestone, well, it wasn't information the boy had bothered to investigate. But... why had George contacted this man?

Taking a seat again, he began to rustle through some papers on his desk: records of the people George had invited, apparently. "This might sound a little unusual, but I wasn't exactly the one who sent you an invitation. The one who did, however, must not have understood what he was trying to do. Surely you have more important work to do than embark on a wild goose chase under the supervision of a lower rank than yourself, Colonel?" His kept his composure, trying to be polite as possible, while reading the man's reactions, his movements. If this man worked for the state, his background required more investigation.

"Hello, I, uh, got the letter- and- I'm Aria- uh-"

An obviously distraught voice suddenly interrupted Elias' conversation with Colonel Graanz, turning Elias' attention over to the source. Before them stood a girl that likely wasn't much younger than Elias himself, with skin extraordinarily lacking in colour, which combined with her hair gave off an almost doll-like aura. Simply put... she was breathtaking. Elias rose again, motioning to another of the wooden seats at the round table. "Miss Aria, please take a seat." Who was this girl? He hadn't had time to look at his file, but she clearly wasn't a soldier. The idea of involving citizens didn't really sit well with him, but George clearly saw something in this girl. "I apologize for summoning you so suddenly. My name is Elias Kuefer, the unfortunate one in charge of this... assignment." Wiping his brow, he was reminded of the blood on his forehead. "Also, I apologize to both of you for my current appearance. I just came from an assignment and haven't had time to clean up yet."

The pink haired waitress suddenly appeared again, a little curious about the two newcomers. It was a blatantly suspicious display of company, so maybe she wasn't too far off of her mark with her earlier line of thinking. Thankfully, she was in charge of their table~ "Hello!" She exclaimed, bowing politely with menus resting in her lap before straightening up and laying the menus on the table before them. "Could I get any of you something to drink?"

CrossJHero

Kiriya White......
    Years
    With an absent expression in his eyes, Alan Mitchell looked like any other aloof man, but today, he was an aloof man with a mission. He really did not care for some of the others in the group since he knew that he wouldn't be alone, and the picture that he got of Kuefer, or whatever his name was, didn't make him seem like a competent alchemist. That was what made him even more conscious not to underestimate this man, but as long as he was working with the man, Alan had no fear. He also would have all of the research books that he could dream of at his disposal, so this offer was much too good to deny. He knew of Xylica, and he also knew that if anyone could identify the properties or to find the cure of this "Panacea" it would be him.

The only enticing part of the letter was the research materials, and he planned to further his own alchemy and do minimal studying of Xylica if he could. He also wanted to meet an Akhastery user, so that he could learn the basic mechanics and apply it to his alchemy.

"How did they know me?. Me!"Alan thought to himself, "It could only be the various battles I had with State Alchemists and the criminals I brought in. That's the only way, I don't have any other redeeming qualities besides understanding ancient alchemical texts with ease."

Alan walked everywhere, so in order for him to understand and know the area, he had to walk around and thus walked on foot the distance of 15 miles in 2.5 hours, due to the fact that he wasn't that far from the meeting location. Xylica was a big disease, and thus had to be contained, but there were plenty of State Alchemists, why would they pick him?

Anyway, by the time he finished this line of thought, he stopped and examined his surroundings, he was in front of a somewhat obscure and insignificant pub. It was called "The Angel's Light."

He did wonder why they were meeting there, and there were a myriad of reasons, privacy, preference, protection, any reason that the mind could think, because this seemed to be a small group carrying out a large scale operation, and that was probably due to the people opposed to their small group, which he knew would exist if the group was well known. Either way, he was going to help people, and he pushed open the door and looked for the man in the picture, already knowing what he would say.

He surveyed the area, and looked for the possible exits, as he then looked and observed a tall man with sunglasses talking to a guy who looked very scruffy, and almost ravaged.....in a sense.

He then adjusted his backpack which as of now was an over the shoulder bag due to the fact that he ripped off the straps and used alchemy to merge the straps and turn the bag into an over the shoulder bag, and as he came toward the group he simply just showed his letter.

Alan then said holding the fully open letter, "Is this for me?"

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Isaac was returned the salute by Elias, to which Isaac was a bit surprised, but more reassured. He was please that the Major still followed military protocol to some degree. Although Isaac wouldn't have bothered to provide insight either way, he had heard many State Alchemists blatantly disregarded even some of the most basic military etiquette. There were many, of course, who did as well. Isaac was just glad that he has ended up with one who did, despite his untidy appearance. He sat down, looking around the pub before turning his attention back at Elias, who was looking over some papers. As the young man spoke, Isaac listened intently. He responded calmly.

"On the contrary, Major, this 'wild goose chase', as you call it, was appointed by none other than Fuhrer Klein himself. This would either mean that the Fuhrer himself believes that this is an accomplishable assignment, or he is running out of alternatives. Either way, it seems that this mission, however uncanny it may appear, would apparently be the best shot at trying to find a cure for xylica. Besides, I myself have some personal history with this disease..."

The Colonel was interrupted by another voice, shy and soft.

"Hello, I, uh, got the letter- and- I'm Aria- uh-"

Near them stood a woman. She wore a white, sleeve shirt under a sleeveless indigo dress. He hair was dark brown, and her skin, pale as a sheet, however, she seemed to get a little pink as she spoke, perhaps of nervousness. Clearly, the woman wasn't in the military, which begged the Colonel to wonder why civilians were being assigned to a task of this proportion and danger as well. Isaac, although realizing she wasn't in the military, still stood as she came as a showing of courtesy. He didn't smile, as he hardly ever does, but gave her a curt nod as Elias offered her a seat. Isaac decided to wait on full introductions until everyone had arrived, unless, of course, she asked him.

As Isaac prepared to speak again, a pink haired waitress appeared, offering them menus, and something to drink. Isaac politely refused to grab a menu. His eyes only briefly met the waitresses, before turning away.

"Water for me, please." Isaac said nothing else as the waitress remained in front of their table.

In was then that another person entered the pub. Isaac tracked his movements as he approached their table. He was tall, taller than Isaac by a few inches. He had well-toned muscles, and long, black hair, reaching his shoulders. He wore a sleeved white shirt. He held a letter in his hands. Isaac didn't bother to get up for him, as he was neither a female nor in the military, which could clearly be seen. Nevertheless, he gave him a polite nod as well.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    So this is Mr. Elias Kuefer, the one who sent the letter. She nodded with enthusiasm, attempting to smile, failing miserably, then quickly taking a seat as she was told. The tall scary man with sunglasses merely nodded at her, looking completely disinterested. This only increased her anxiety, and she resisted the urge to simply get up and leave. She then waved her hands frantically at the sight of Elias wiping his face, stammering, "N-No, it's okay, I just, um, pleased to meet you Mr. Kuefer, I r-really am honored to be here, I came as s-soon as I got the lette-"

"Hello! Could I get any of you something to drink?"

She fidgeted (badly), turning to the pink haired waitress who set the menus in front of her. For a moment, she stared without a word; the waitress had the most beautiful blue eyes she had ever seen in her life.

"Water for me, please," the scary man said without much of a glance, waking her from her thoughts. Aria felt terribly out of place. It was as if her overflowing confidence from earlier simply vanished into thin air. They both looked stronger, bolder, and a lot more qualified than she was. Elias' clothes were a little peculiar, though, and she felt slightly ashamed for having described him as a homeless man. She did note his white hair and dark skin tone - common traits of an Ishvalan.

"A-Ah, yes, water too, please, with l-lemon," she muttered, gripping her bag that rested on her lap. She scolded herself, eyes fixated on the floor. Don't be ridiculous, you have plenty of skills you can offer, just because you don't look the part doesn't mean you can't hold your own ground...

"Is this for me?"

Aria jerked her head up, meeting yet another newcomer. A taller, scarier, muscular newcomer, holding up his letter. She sighed, evidently resigned.

Never mind.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Listening to Isaac's explanation as to why he was on board for the duration of the assignment despite the fact that he likely had better things to be doing. He had personal experience with the disease? Curious, but knowing his place, Elias didn't inquire further into this explanation. It was only right, after all. If he thought it might impede his progress or help him with his own means, then the half-Ishvalan might have bothered looking into it, but at this point he had no real evidence that this was the case.

It was when the waitress returned with two drinks - one with lemon as Miss Aria had requested and one without, that the Colonel had wanted - that he became wary of her presence. Ever since she started serving him and consequently his guests, he couldn't help feel like she was watching. She was certainly a beautiful girl, with entrancing blue eyes and abnormally pink hair. She looked innocent enough, maybe not as innocent as Aria, but she was definitely watching with interest. "Here you go!" She exclaimed as she set the beverages down with their new owners, flashing Aria a smile.

It was around this time that a newcomer appeared. He was tall, big, with long black hair. And, as far as both Elias and the waitress were concerned: intimidating. He asked simply if the letter was for him, to which Elias nodded, looking down at the files of the two people that had yet to show themselves. One Alan Mitchell and one Alexandra Troy. He assumed this was the former. "Mr. Mitchell, I assume? Please take a seat."

The waitress, while a little intimidated by the table at this point, still placed a menu down before the newcomer. "I'll be back in a moment if you'd like something to drink? Please take a look at the menu!" She said before wandering off to another table, leaving Elias alone with the group at last.

"Apparently you've all been chosen to help with this assignment, some of you apparently civilians. That fact makes me a little uncomfortable, so I think it's important that you consider the risks of coming aboard." He stated plainly, wanting to get this over with. The girl in particular he didn't want to drag into something where her life would be at risk, since she didn't seem conditioned for this type of thing. "There will be a lot of traveling, and if Panacea is such a sought-after legend, then there's a good chance we could have to fight. The risk of this happening is multiplied by two, since there are two State Alchemists here." He took a sip of an orange juice - a drink he had delivered to him when George was there. "I'm not sure what my adviser was thinking when he invited civilians, but I do trust his judgement, and I won't turn anyone away who actually wants to participate. It will be made worth your while..." He moved the papers, revealing a couple of pocket watches. They were like the State Alchemist ones in design, but had a bottle design on it in place of the regular design. "To start, we need to go to the military's library here in Central. These watches will gain you access to the library as well as military funds. Of course, you won't be considered part of the military if you do accept."

CrossJHero

Kiriya White......
    Years
    The officer nodded his head at him, and out of respect, Alan bowed his head, as he then started to observe the people at the table. An obsessive waitress continued coming back and back every five seconds with new things. Alan saw a dollfaced girl who seemed beautiful, but she had this look of fear in his eyes, and it was probably him. He decided to himself that he would not let the group know his emotions until he was sure that he could trust them.

The ravaged man nodded to answer Alan's question as he looked down at the files of the people on their way here.

"Mr. Mitchell, I assume? Please take a seat."

Alan bowed his head as a way of saying thank you as he then sat down in the chair, next to the girl as he then picked out an ancient elemental alchemy book and began reading it.

The waitress, who was intimidated clearly, placed a menu down before Alan.

"I'll be back in a moment if you'd like something to drink? Please take a look at the menu!"

She said before wandering off to another table.

Alan looked at the menu and picked what he wanted but he wanted to wait for the waitress to come back.

"Apparently you've all been chosen to help with this assignment, some of you apparently civilians. That fact makes me a little uncomfortable, so I think it's important that you consider the risks of coming aboard."

The ravaged man, who must have been Kuefer said plainly. Alan did notice that the girl seemed a bit out of place, but he decided to be objective because she could be very strong and just not showing it.

"There will be a lot of traveling, and if Panacea is such a sought-after legend, then there's a good chance we could have to fight. The risk of this happening is multiplied by two, since there are two State Alchemists here."

Kuefer then took a drink of orange juice.

"I'm not sure what my adviser was thinking when he invited civilians, but I do trust his judgement, and I won't turn anyone away who actually wants to participate. It will be made worth your while..."

Kuefer moved the papers, revealing a couple of pocket watches. They were almost exactly like the State Alchemist watches except that they had a bottle, and he knew that with this he could pass for a state alchemist.

"To start, we need to go to the military's library here in Central. These watches will gain you access to the library as well as military funds. Of course, you won't be considered part of the military if you do accept."

Alan then smiled at the statement and said, "There's a catch, something that you're not telling us. What is it?"

Last edited:

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Isaac looked up at the first time at the waitress for the first time when she brought over his drink. He stared at her for a brief second behind his sunglasses. She had bright blue eyes and pink hair. He nodded at her.

"Thank you." He said, his eyes retreating from her and back to the conversation and the new guest at hand. The man, who stood perhaps a mere inches taller than Isaac sat down upon Elias's request. Isaac noticed there was yet one more file on another individual yet to arrive, so once more, Isaac silenced himself on introductions. He noticed just as the new arrival, Alan sat, he immediately opened some sort of text and began reading it. Isaac said nothing of this, but if he was a military man, he would have found the action a tad disrespectful as he was most likely about to be spoken to by the others. However, as he was a civilian, Isaac kept his same, expressionless demeanor.

When the waitress departed, Elias began to speak. Isaac listened intently, not saying a word. He took in what Elias said agreeing with him upon multiple statements. It was indeed true that State Alchemists in a group such as this would prove to make the task more dangerous. Furthermore, the introduction of civilians didn't seem quite right with Isaac. Sure, this wasn't a normal assignment, but Isaac didn't feel completely comfortable trying to partake in a team which was partly military and partly civilian. It meant having to act differently when addressing some, and in another way when addressing others. But Isaac had to remain in this group for now. It was, believe it or not, to Isaac the best route to finding a cure for xylica. Being the "Earth Alchemist", Isaac felt almost compelled to provide his talents for such an assignment.

Of course, in a combat sense, Isaac wasn't picky. He never believed in judging based on appearance, or else he would have ruled out any possible use for the young woman who was with them, and for that matter, Elias as well.

It was then that Elias gave them each pocket watched similar to the State Alchemist watch, only a bit different design. Explaining it's purpose, Isaac watched as Alan smiled and asked his question.

There are many catches, I would guess, Isaac thought to himself. He didn't feel he needed to say anything yet out loud, so he waited for the rest to be said. The first part of the mission seemed the easier part, research. But Isaac doubted research would be all they would be participating in.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Alexandra Troy groaned audibly as she stumbled through the door of the Angel's Light pub. She was paying the price for the previous night of hard drinking with a truly splitting headache, extreme hypersensitivity to lights and sounds, and the overwhelming urge to vomit on something. "Damn this hangover of mine," she muttered to herself. "Why'd they have to call me in THIS early?"

"Morning there, Alex!" the bartender called out to her. "Never thought I'd see you in here this early! What'll it be?"

"For starters, you could try not talking so loud," Alexandra replied as she shuffled over to the counter and sat herself atop one of the stools. "Secondly, it should be clear that I'm not really in any mood to have a drink, and thirdly, I got a letter from some State Military goon telling me to meet him here. You see any guys in uniform come by here recently?"

"Man, you're still pretty out of it, aren't you?" the bartender remarked. "Anyway, one of them's been waiting at that table behind you for the last couple of hours or so. Another guy, I think some sort of high-ranking big shot, came in here and sat down at that other guy's table just a few minutes ago. You shouldn't be able to miss 'em." He accordingly gestured towards the table where George and Colonel Graanz were currently seated.

Alexandra briefly glanced behind her. "Thanks," she said abruptly as she got off the stool and rushed over to the bathroom. She stumbled over to one of the toilet stalls and promptly started puking into the bowl. After a few minutes of purging, she got up, staggered over to a sink, and started washing her mouth and face. She looked at herself in the mirror. "I am a mess, aren't I?" she said to herself as she wiped her face with a paper towel.

While Alexandra had not been expecting any trouble to break out at the bar, it never hurt to be prepared. She had brought her typical loadout of a Colt M1911A1, a wz. 35 Vis, and a Colt M1908 Pocket Hammerless; she kept the M1911A1 and the Vis holstered under her blazer, while she had tucked her M1908 Pocket Hammerless into the back of her shorts. She briefly frisked herself to check if she had accidentally mislaid any of her weapons on the way to the bar. She still had them all on her. Perfect.

With everything in order, Alexandra walked out of the bathroom and towards the table with the two military dogs waiting for her. She immediately noticed the presence of several civilians with them: A shabby-looking lad of seemingly Ishvalan heritage, a far more imposing young man with long black hair, and a pale, petite, and demure brunette. Quite the motley crew that had been assembled. Filing these observations in the back of her mind, she pulled up a chair from another table, brought it up, and sat down. "Sorry I'm late," she said. "I'll be honest, I had way too much to drink last night, and needless to say, I'm not really feeling too well."

Alexandra groaned slightly as she brought out her copy of the letter from her blazer pocket. "I'm actually pretty surprised that you guys considered bringing me on for one of your ops, considering that you should already have more than enough in-house talent on hand," she continued. "Then again, I understand that it may be a bit...embarrasing to have an actual agent of the State caught performing whatever dirty work you want done. I suppose that's where I come in. You hire me to do the work you can't be seen doing, and if anything goes wrong, you can easily deny any connection to me and wash your hands of the whole dirty affair. Now, I'm wondering what exactly is it you want me to do, because I'm pretty sure there's far more to the situation than just what's written in this letter."

Last edited:

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    "Thank you," Aria muttered politely, clasping her glass of water very tightly, oblivious to the waitress' kind smile. However, she was obliged to face Elias once he started explaining a bit more about the assignment.

"..some of you apparently civilians. That fact makes me a little uncomfortable, so I think it's important that you consider the risks of coming aboard.."

Civilian? Who looks like a civilian here? What nonsense.. She took a small sip, then almost choked on the water as realization hit her. Ah. Right. Me. Of course.

"..here's a good chance we could have to fight..." Elias talked on and on, Aria listening very intently, although her eyes chose to remain on her glass of water. Yes, she could fight, or at least, assist those fighting. She was sure she would be of some use out there. He then pulled out what looked like the official State Alchemist pocket watches, albeit the design was a little peculiar. She took her watch with a shaky hand, marveling at the little trinket, turning it this way and that. It felt cool and heavy to the touch.

"There's a catch, something that you're not telling us. What is it?" the tall scary man (Mr. Mitchell, was he called? She really ought to stop associating people by their physical description). Before Elias could answer, though, Aria was temporarily distracted by a blonde woman, approaching the group. She immediately brought up another chair and sat down across from them, apologizing for her lateness. To be perfectly honest, Aria wasn't quite fond of the way the woman talked, and her hair was terribly unkempt. Ms. Messy Hair. Or was it Alex? She recalled the bartender's greeting.

"I'd like to know too," Aria chimed in, echoing the concerns of both Alan and Alexandra. She took another sip of water, sitting up straighter.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    "Actually... I'm not even really sure who you are..." Elias muttered to himself as the final member, the brunette woman, of this mismatched team. He couldn't help but think that starting off her introduction by stating that she had a hangover was likely not the manner of greeting that would bring about the best light of herself. Then, she started blabbing on about a number of assumptions she seemed to have regarding the nature of the whole ordeal. "Miss... Troy, is it? My name is Elias Kuefer, the Ravaged Alchemist, and I'll be taking head of this operation." This was a good opportunity to avoid explaining the catch - there really wasn't one that he was aware, but the military did like to make pawns out of everything. But who was this woman that had just joined the table? She definitely didn't strike him as a regular person. She had training of some sort. Maybe she'd be worth looking into later.

It wasn't until Aria chimed up that he felt the need to talk again. Something about that girl felt... wrong for this operation. Her outwards appearance, obviously. She did not look like the type that would be able to keep up with such a dangerous journey. "If there were to be a catch, it would likely be that you're under the employment of the military. While they can't give you orders directly or anything like that, you need to keep in mind that we have a lot of enemies. And, in turn, if you help the State, you become their enemies as well." He glanced over at Aria, looking for her response to this in particular. "If you're okay with this, then take your watch. If not, it's not my business if you leave, and the State won't contact you anymore."

Alexandra would suddenly find a menu put down before her, the waitress' hand withdrawing from the location. Elias' eyes suddenly glanced in her direction. This was not a secure place for these discussions. How much had that girl heard over the course of the conversation? It was unlikely she was a spy or anything, but the fact that she kept coming back at these crucial moments... was it intentional? "Now, did anyone want anything?" She asked, pulling out a notebook from her pants pocket - presumably for taking orders.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Isaac saw the last person join them at a table. By this time, Isaac was no longer shocked by apparel. He had seen it all with this colorful group that currently sat at the table. Although, Isaac never showed a hint of surprise, or much of anything while he was at the table with the others. As she approached, Isaac stood as he greeted her with a nod, and then sat down as she did.

This next one, Elias identifying her as a 'Miss Troy', had brown hair, which was short and unruly. She had a white-collared long sleeved blouse, with a tie, and black gloves. Isaac noted the transmutation circles on them. Isaac also noticed that she had a variety of weaponry strategically placed around her body. By the way it was kept, and the fact that she was prepared for combat, Isaac assumed she had some sort of military training prior. Either that, or she was a severe weapons enthusiast. But something else bothered Isaac, a feeling. He felt he knew her face, although it was from a time back in the Ishvalan Civil War. Either way, she would most likely fit into the group quite nicely.

As Elias explained, Isaac had a funny feeling. Not necessarily that they were being watched, but something felt out of place. He had finished speaking, and the pink-haired waitress asked for orders. Isaac looked at her intently, not speaking for a moment. Perhaps Elias noticed it too, because he looked over her as well. Isaac had a strange feeling about her since he arrived, but he decided not to pay it any mind. He spoke back to her.

"Nothing else for me, thanks..." He said, looking over her once more, then returned his attention to the others. He decided he wouldn't say too much while the waitress was around, just in case.

Isaac decided to hold off on introductions until the entire group had arrived. Seeing as this was everyone, Isaac spoke to the group.

"I suppose seeing as this is everyone, some sort of introductions are in order. I am Colonel Isaac Graanz, Codename: The Earth Alchemist..." As he said this, he reached for the watch placed in front of him. "..And it would be my pleasure to be apart of this group. I'm sure you'll find my expertise useful on this assignment.

Isaac eyed all of them one by one, evaluating them. Although Elias's appearance was rather shabby, he was certain, being the leader of this task, he would perform his duties well. He was certain Alan would do his part. He certainly looked the part. It was the other two members that he was most concerned/interested about. In terms of Aria, he didn't quite feel she was up to the task. She looked out of place among the others that sat, and he had a feeling that she thought so too. However, looks can be deceiving, which brings Isaac to the last member, first name not know yet, but Elias called her Troy. It wasn't a name Isaac was familiar with, nor the hair as much, but he had a very strange feeling he had seen her before, sometime ago.

It was fortunate that behind his sunglasses, Isaac's eyes could not be seen, because he noticed himself he was staring at Miss Troy for a while. He broke his gazed, and took a sip of his water, waiting for someone else to speak up.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    "No thanks, I'm not really hungry now," Alexandra said as she promptly handed the menu back to the waitress. With much of the discussion now out of the way, she decided that now was as good a time as any to introduce herself to the people she'd be working with.

"I'm Alexandra Troy, but you can just call me Alex," she said as she reached for one of the watches that Elias had laid out on the table. "I suppose you could call me a...freelancer. Yes, that should do. I'm good with guns, knives, and my bare hands, and I even know a thing or two about alchemy. If this job's going to be even half as dangerous as I expect it to be, I feel that my own brand of expertise will come in handy. Just so you know, I got nothing against working with the State. I've already made plenty of enemies in my previous line of work, so adding a few more won't be that much of a big deal for me."

Now that she had said her piece, Alexandra also took the opportunity to address Major Kuefer and Colonel Graanz. "So...Major Kuefer, is it?" she asked as she idly played with her watch. "Judging from the way you look, I can certainly see why you're titled the Ravaged Alchemist. I didn't know the State Military's uniform regulations were that lax. In any case, I guess I'll have to learn to take orders from one such as yourself, then. As for you, Colonel Graanz, how come you're not the one in charge, if just by virtue of rank alone?"

Alexandra also had a feeling that she had known Colonel Graanz from someplace else, though her memories were far more clearer than his. So, I see our little Earth Alchemist has rocketed up the ranks since the Ishval War, she thought. Interesting. He's certainly a talented man, but I wonder what exactly he did to get a promotion to Colonel that quickly. I heard there was a...revolt or something in East City that the State Military tried to keep under wraps, or so the rumors say. Maybe he was involved with that? Ah, who knows? Should be worth looking into a bit further, though.

Last edited:

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Colonel Graanz listened as Alex introduced herself.

"I suppose you could call me a...freelancer. Yes, that should do. I'm good with guns, knives, and my bare hands, and I even know a thing or two about alchemy. If this job's going to be even half as dangerous as I expect it to be, I feel that my own brand of expertise will come in handy. Just so you know, I got nothing against working with the State. I've already made plenty of enemies in my previous line of work, so adding a few more won't be that much of a big deal for me."

Quite a mass amount of skills, Isaac thought to himself. She was clearly militarily trained, if no one else, he realized it. Besides, she had far too much knowledge and bearing of weaponry not to have been in or associated with the military in some way. Isaac was certain of it. In what way she interacted with the Military remains to be known, but Isaac was sure he would learn more about her the longer they interact.

While Alex began to question Elias, Isaac observed the new watch he received. He thought about the oncoming mission, until Alex questioned him now.

"As for you, Colonel Graanz, how come you're not the one in charge, if just by virtue of rank alone?"

Isaac had thought about this as well. He sighed, grabbing his water and taking a small sip of it, before turning to her and speaking.

"Well, Miss Troy, there are many possible reasons for making Major Kuefer in charge. First, his expertise in this field is probably greater than my own, so the Fuhrer most likely thought the Major was a better fit for leadership position than I. In this case, rank wouldn't be affiliated with the mission. Also, as you can clearly tell, this...'assignment' isn't quite conventional as other military operations. I mean, look at us, half of us aren't even in the military..." There were only in fact two of them that were in the military there: Isaac and the Major, but Isaac dropped a small hint on the group, thought nobody probably caught it, that there may indeed more than two people here who are military, or ex-military officials. I'm not totally convinced this is the only group sent on discovering a cure for xylica. From what I guess, there's probably half a dozen other teams running other angles to get this disease under check. Some probably more direct than ours. As Major Kuefer said before, this could be nothing more than a 'wild goose chase'. But I was asked to help out on this mission, not lead it, as so I will. We should leave it at that."

Isaac observed Alex beneath his glasses.Placing both elbows on the table, he placed his hands around his chin, and spoke again.

"So, like Major Kuefer suggested before, we should begin by gathering some information at the Central Military Library. As I believe we are all here, we should get going there as soon as you all are ready. You should also make use of the military funds we will all be able to receive."

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    "If there were to be a catch, it would likely be that you're under the employment of the military. While they can't give you orders directly or anything like that, you need to keep in mind that we have a lot of enemies. And, in turn, if you help the State, you become their enemies as well." 

Elias gave a cursory glance at Aria, making her flinch. She knew very well what the implications were, but dared not utter a word, thinking hard about her next response. She had the distinct impression her first impressions impressed, well, nobody, but perhaps if she worded the things she said carefully from now on...

"If you're okay with this, then take your watch. If not, it's not my business if you leave, and the State won't contact you anymore." At that moment, the pink-haired waitress asked for their orders.

She listened quietly as Colonel Isaac Granz introduced himself, and even nodded in admiration at his title. The Earth Alchemist, she repeated. The words had a solemn, heavy weight to them. The woman named Alexandra also chose not to order anything from the waitress, and instead opted to describe her various skills, to which Aria could not help but stare in awe. She had such a calm, aloof personality; she clearly knew what she was doing, how she would do it, and she was very direct with her questions, as noted from the one directed at Colonel Granz.

"As I believe we are all here, we should get going there as soon as you all are ready. You should also make use of the military funds we will all be able to receive," Granz was finishing explaining, hands rested under his chin. With his sunglasses, he had a somewhat ominous aura.

Should I speak up? She wondered restlessly, itching to speak, but she had no intention on making herself look even worse. What could she possibly say to appease their minds? That she wasn't just a small, useless and incompetent woman? She played around with her watch, then immediately stopped, taking a small breath. I'll prove my worth later. When actions actually come into play.

"It's such a pleasure to meet everyone," she beamed at each of them, her eyes positively glowing. "I hope we get along. I agree with Colonel Granz, the Central Military Library seems like a reasonable place to start." She paused, then continued, "Oh, and I'm Aria Thorne. I'm a...uh..." She fidgeted, fishing around for the right word. It wasn't official yet, but why the hell not? She gently clasped her hands together and smiled again. "I'm a doctor."

CrossJHero

Kiriya White......
    Years
    "If there were to be a catch, it would likely be that you're under the employment of the military. While they can't give you orders directly or anything like that, you need to keep in mind that we have a lot of enemies. And, in turn, if you help the State, you become their enemies as well."

Alan looked on at Aria's flinching. Alan already knew the catch, but he wanted it to be said, especially for Aria, one who looks too…. doll-like for this kind of operation. Alan was already thinking that he intimidated people, and that was not his goal. He was trying to make sure that no one saw the cards he wanted to play, until he played them.

"If you're okay with this, then take your watch. If not, it's not my business if you leave, and the State won't contact you anymore." At that moment, the pink-haired waitress asked for their orders. Alan took his watch, and put it in his pocket.

Alan ushered the woman away softly as he shook his head politely. Alan then smiled at everyone else's introduction, thinking, "A team full of experts, wonder if I can measure up."

"The Earth Alchemist
    ." Alan thought, "I've heard that name from one of the state alchemists I tied against. I must've fought one of the men in his division or squad."

The woman named Alexandra also chose not to order anything from the waitress, and instead described her various skills, Alan laughed at her to himself, knowing that she was way too conspicuous skill wise to not have worked for the military at one time. She was very calm and focused, which would be good for Alan, in case he decided to panic.

"As I believe we are all here, we should get going there as soon as you all are ready. You should also make use of the military funds we will all be able to receive," Graanz finished talking, and Alan then smiled at the prospect of billing the government, especially since they billed his grandpa, an old man unfairly.

Alan needed to speak up
    . He had a compulsion to talk, to explain what he could do, he would repeat what people had told him, but, not with a cocky tone. He watched Aria fidget with her watch, as he then heard her talk, and she had some sort of unusual grace that he had not seen before, and he then smirked.

"It's such a pleasure to meet everyone," she said as her eyes glowed. "I hope we get along. I agree with Colonel Graanz, the Central Military Library seems like a reasonable place to start." She then paused, and then she resumed saying, "Oh, and I'm Aria Thorne. I'm a...uh..." Alan knew that she was stretching the truth from there on due to the air of focus and confidence that doctors usually had that she was lacking. But, he did feel a large amount of skill, or potential from her as she then clasped her hands together and smiled saying, "I'm a doctor."

Alan then smirked again, happy that a medic was around, part of him wondered what he would say, but part of him also wondered how proficient Aria was, if she was making a bold statement as such.

Alan then said, "I agree that the library is a good starting point, but I just want you to know who I am before we start this thing off. My name is Alan Mitchell. I don't know what I am. People have told me that I'm a prodigy. The various State Alchemists that I have fought told me that I am a genius that comes once in a century. "

Alan paused for a second, trying not to sound too cocky, but coming out of his shell even more he said, "I hope that being with you guys will help me skyrocket and reach my full potential. I might not be in the military, or even all Amestrian. But, I hope that my skills are vital to this…" Alan paused looking for the right word, "…mission."

Alan hoped that the high expecations that he had made for himself would make him measure up to the standards of skill that he wanted to achieve.

Last edited:

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Alexandra remained silent as she scrutinized the other two members of her erstwhile team, starting with Aria the doll-like doctor. She doesn't have much of a poker face, does she? She really shouldn't show the rest of us that she's nervous and unsure of herself. It'll only make their impressions of her worse. Even if she does have the knowledge, what's really important is, does she have the will to actually apply it? I guess I'll have to see the next time I need a bullet hole patched up.

Alexandra's thoughts then drifted over to Alan the self-declared prodigy. She had to resist the urge to make an actual verbal remark or two at his expense. Oh, man, where do I start with this kid? He goes all in, guns blazing, declaring himself a prodigy and stating that his skills will be important to the completion of this mission. Hell, I'm as arrogant as they come, but even I'm not that boastful. Who the hell does he think he is? I'd really like to see if he's even half as good as he claims to be. He can certainly talk the talk, but can he truly walk the walk?

After a moment of silence, Alexandra finally spoke up once more. "If we're done with introductions, then I really think we should actually proceed with our mission," she said. "However, I do have a final question regarding weaponry. Do these watches of ours also grant access to State armories, or are our civilian comrades going to have to provide for their own self-defense?" I might already know the answer to this question, but it still can't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    "Well, Miss Troy, there are many possible reasons for making Major Kuefer in charge. First, his expertise in this field is probably greater than my own, so the Fuhrer most likely thought the Major was a better fit for leadership position than I."

Elias began to slowly slide downwards in his seat, as if the comment was somehow wrong. Well, it pretty much was. He had no idea at all why he had been selected to take charge of this mission. He wasn't even very familiar with the Fuhrer, so there was no real reason to pick him over someone of higher rank like Graanz. Though, he was also a little put down by Alexandra's comment about his uniform. He wasn't really that tied to the State to begin with, and it wasn't like they made uniforms that only had one arm, either. Nobody really questioned his choice in attire, at least vocally. That said, he was in no mood to justify it.

As Aria introduced herself, the boy watched her carefully. While she looked like she was hesitating, Elias could tell that there was a good deal of resolve behind her words. It made him feel a little better, like she wasn't participating for no reason. This reminded him of something he had to say, though. "Alright, then as of now you are all under my jurisdiction. I have no idea what dangers lie before us, but I have no intention of letting any of you get hurt." He glanced over at Aria in particular at this point, as if to reassure her.

A sudden shriek from somewhere in the tavern grabbed the man's attention and brought him up out of his seat. "I finally found you..." A panting, yet familiar voice called from nearby, causing the half-Ishvalan to turn in that direction. The thug from earlier stood before Elias, the pink-haired waitress struggling in his grasp. Behind him, Elias noted, there were a number of miscellaneous other thugs, all garbed in the same black robed the large man before him was. At least one of them, the one holding the waitress, was an alchemist. "Now, give me back the amulet you took earlier."

"Hm? No idea what you're talking about." He replied, motioning with his hands for the others to leave. He wasn't about to get them tangled in his own mess, it was none of their business, and they'd just end up hurt.

Back