• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Funny, Lucky and Ironic Moments in a Pokemon Game

Years
  • Did you ever have that moment where you encountered a shiny Pokemon and didn't know about them?

Was breeding a certain ability or nature a pain?

Or even catching a Pokemon, you were so eager to use it only to discover it had a bad nature?

Maybe even encountering so many of one gender despite a Pokemon's 50-50 gender ratio?

Share your funny, lucky and ironic moments here!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Oh lord. About two years ago I was playing my Emerald version on my DS. I just beat the game, and I saw a SHINY Latios. I HURLED my Masterball at it, only to find it was Adamant, 0 IVs for Special Attack, and barely any Speed to its name. c':
    It was like a bittersweet capture. I still kept it. but omg, I was disappointed.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I saw 3 shinies in White and SoulSilver each: Sewaddle, Golduck and Lunatone in White and Tentacool, Golbat and Nidorina in SoulSilver. I also got 4 shinies in Platinum: Roselia, Sneasel, Marill, Blissey.

Kyrk

(╯°□°)╯︵ɔıb oן
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2012
    I remember in Pokemon Silver (the old one) in the ice cave (which I forgot the name of) I found not one, but TWO shiny Swinubs. However, I used my last pokeball on a non-shiny swinub I found earlier...

Years
  • When I was playing my DiaNZ I was training my team in the Forest when *shing*, shiny wurmple. I raised him and he eventually became a dustox.
    Within the next two days (still training in the Forest) *shing* another shiny wurmple.
    ... and she evolved into a cascoon then dustox too.
    (Within that one week I also found a shiny bibarel [that game], and a shiny raticate and ponyta in a different game)
    I find the irony in a) the fact that BOTH my wurmple evolved into dustox... when my original Forest catch, another wurmple, also evolved into a dustox (meaning three dustox for me), and b) I could not use the raticate and ponyta due to them being caught in a challenge that didn't allow for it.

Years
  • I remember having to catch 3 Goletts in Black cos either the ability or nature was bad.

First Golett = Klutz (bad)
    Second Golett = Iron Fist (yay!), Modest nature (no!)
    Third Golett = Iron Fist, Lax nature (OK)

I evolved the latter into Golurk.

Also, every Pawniard I caught to train had Inner Focus until I caught a fourth one with Defiant and Adamant nature (I had to Synchronize the nature with one of my Elgyems) and I evolved the Defiant Adamant natured female into Bisharp.

Also, the first of those Inner Focus Pawniards had a (dammit!) Calm nature. The second one was Gentle but I knew Adamant was a better nature.

This is why I recommend going on an Elgyem-catching spree so you get different natured Elgyems and hope you also get one with Synchronize.

I remember training up a Pawniard and it landed two Critical Hits in a row on an Audino. And this was only when I was spamming Metal Claw.

Also, I remember catching a Timburr to use against Lenora. It was the first wild Timburr I saw and it was... FEMALE. She since evolved into Gurdurr.

Another moment from Black was that I beat Elesa using a female Zebstrika and I didn't take any major damage.

Now for Shinies, I remember the time in Ruby I caught my first ever Shiny - a Duskull.

In my brother's Diamond he had a Shiny Budew and Unown (U Form).

In SoulSilver I also have two Shinies - a Farfetch'd and Graveler.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I remember having to catch 3 Goletts in Black cos either the ability or nature was bad.

First Golett = Klutz (bad)
    Second Golett = Iron Fist (yay!), Modest nature (no!)
    Third Golett = Iron Fist, Lax nature (OK)
    They're easy to catch on mass with Quick Balls since the second room of Dragonspiral Tower contains only them.
    Getting a friend an Adamant Iron Fist one was easy for me; of course, defeating its evolution later in battle under the effect of Trick Room while it spammed Hammer Arm wasn't.

Years
  • The most recent shiny fail for me was two weeks ago when I restarted my HeartGold game. I was walking through the grass with Cyndaquil and I found a level two shiny Pidgey! It was so golden and so pretty ... But my rival had not given me any pokeballs yet so I couldn't catch the thing! So I just made it faint... I am forever shiny-less. X3

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • One time, I was shiny hunting in Mistralton. After a really long time of looking for one, I decided to give up. Then suddenly...

SHINY WATCHOG IN MY FACE!!
    I succeeded in catching it.
    I was so happy, I was jumping up and down.
    Apparently, depression helps me get want I want xD

Years
  • I decided to give up. Then suddenly
    Actually, the strange thing is that the pokemon games seem to be semi psychic.
    It can be highly disconcerting.
    Once I spent well over an hour looking for a surskit in Ruby, and the very first encounter I had after stating (and honestly, to some extent, meant it) that I was giving up on the surskit and just staying in that patch of grass until I saw a shiny? Surskit.
    It isn't the first time that sort of thing has happened.
    (Please consider the fact that in Sapphire, on the same route (note that this does not change the 1% chance of finding surskit to another number- it's a strictly 1%rate encounter in both) I was merely training not searching, and yet ran into a fair few surskit. And in the former game, after I stopped looking, I found several more surskit)

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Those moments when you are seeking for an specific pokemon and you finally find it...

Only so when your own pokemon go aggro spamming only criticals when you want to weaken the wild thing and you end up killing them in one hit >,> Gotta love that soooooo much :)

Soi

Resident Griffon
    Years
  • I caught Kyurem with a first turn pokeball on my Black version. I spent the next 2 hours gloating to my friends at school, I was such a cool kid xD

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
    Years
  • ...When I was a kid, I believed my friend's 'advice' that talking to the old man about his coffee fifty times would make him get out of the way. For a whole weekend.

Yeah, I was a really thick kid.

Back