• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Future Pal Park Problem?

Zennerick

The Researcher
Years
  • As almost everyone is aware of, the new Nintendo DSi is coming out soon (U.S. release: April 5th). The new DSi lacks a Gameboy Advance slot; this could cause many problems to those who will own a DSi along with the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum games.

The main concern of this whole thread is how the owners of a DSi and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum would obtain the Pokemon only obtainable via Pal Park. Sure, you could just keep your DS/DS Lite; however, if you somehow break it, your forced to either find an alternative DS/DS Lite thru Ebay, Amazon, etc. (if your lucky, used ones at a game store) or buy the new DSi at a local store. This will be especially hard if a child never did own a regular DS/DS Lite before he or she received the DSi.

So, what do you think about this 'Pal Park problem'?

Last edited:

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Tough luck if your original DS or Lite breaks. I don't think there will ever be a real solution for it.

Schala_25

Denizen of the Darkness
    Years
  • Its annoying, true. Either Nintendo will come up with a way to make an attachable GBA slot (if that makes any sense to anyone...) that you can buy separately, or you'll just have to find a DS/DS Lite and and keep it in good condition.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • Nintendo is a marketing fiend. They will get you to buy as many accessories as humanly possible.
    An attachable GBA slot similar to what we saw with Pokemon Stadium is definitely not out of the question.

Years
  • Its all a massive marketing strategy

I can say with out any fear that majority of DSi users will own at least one or more of D/P/Pt. And therefore most of DSi users will want to complete the pokedex.
    So without a GBA slot, you will have to buy another attachment, or buy for the next series of games, which I'm willing to bet has have the pokemon which were previously only available through the GBA games.

Kinda like when R/S/E was released, but you couldn't get some pokemon from R/B/Y/G/S/C. So you had to buy FR/LG to complete the pokedex.

.Nighthawk.

guardian of pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2010
    True but It would be easier if nintendo realsed one of the gba games on the dsi shop that way you could send it across to your diamond pearl or platinum solving the problem but something tells me that if it would happen then it would cost loads. they have tried to make it a bit more easier on platinum by letting you get the legendery birds without gba games

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Problem is they dont have a VC for the DSi and the games are only compatible through the slot. Not through say SD or internal DSi memory.

mStar

The Darkness Within
    Years
  • That sure does suck, since I'll be trading in my DS Lite for $70 credit towards my DSi. But, I'll probably use my cousins DS Lite.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Wow. That sucks. I'm sure that Nintendo and Game Freak would release something that makes it possible to link it to the GameBoy Advanced series games.

M O M U S U

Fail-safe
    Years
  • Well, I'm not getting a DSi anyways for this reason, I have a ton of GBA games that I still play, and I'm not very willing to give them up just yet.

Anyways, Nintendo will probably release a $10-$20 GBA adapter for the DSi that will allow you to play GBA games via some sort of add-on.

Nintendo... I love them and hate them at the same time...

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • You could easily get them on Wi-Fi...

True; however, due to the lack of a GBA slot, there will be less Pokemon from previous generations of Pokemon games in the GTS/Wi-Fi. If there are, they are most likely hacked or generated.

Maybe this is where the SD card comes in?

That would be painstaking. Imagine having, at the most, three GBA games saved on your SD Card. That would
    take up a lot of space, not to mention it would be hard enough getting the GBA data onto the card accurately.

Nintendo is a marketing fiend. They will get you to buy as many accessories as humanly possible.
    An attachable GBA slot similar to what we saw with Pokemon Stadium is definitely not out of the question.

There aren't any other ports to plug in accessories to the DSi besides the DS game slot and the almighty SD card slot. I couldn't imagine an attachable GBA slot accessory for the DSi.

Last edited:

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    True; however, due to the lack of a GBA slot, there will be less Pokemon from previous generations of Pokemon games in the GTS/Wi-Fi. If there are, they are most likely hacked or generated.

That and the fact that you have to have seen the Pokemon in order to get them off the GTS, which in turn would need you to have the GBA slot.

Back