• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen G/S/C: anyone miss them?

Gmack

I'm back!
    Years
    Ok, i like hgss and all but......
    I miss those classic games like GSC!
    I mean, hgss has a bunch of cool stuff,
    and i play it a lot, but i enjoyed gsc just a tiny bit
    more. Is anyone with me?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I never played G/S....and never owned Crystal, although I had a go. So, obviously I'm going to be biased and say "no, I don't miss them".

However, I must say, the lack of a forced encounter with Lugia/Ho-oh does sound nice, compared to Lyra somehow, despite the fact I could defeat her in a pokemon battle easily (She thought her Marill evolved, for some reason, yet it's quite clearly still a Marill), blocks me off and sends me to Ecruteak City.

Marowak10

Skull Wearer
    Years
    I don't that much. I played Gold, but after like 3 months anytime you saved it it didn't keep the saved data. And what was weird,it only glitched when i got to Ecruteak City.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I don't that much. I played Gold, but after like 3 months anytime you saved it it didn't keep the saved data. And what was weird,it only glitched when i got to Ecruteak City.
    Sounds like your internal battery died. ): Gold and Silver depended on an internal battery to save the game. When that dies, so does your saving compatibility. However, it's able to be fixed with a replacement. If you Google search it, I'm sure you'll find further details upon it if you're looking for it to be fixed.

I played Crystal and I actually got lost in the game, plus my way of playing through it wasn't very satisfying. D: It's not really nostalgia for me - I think that goes to Ruby more seeing as it was my first game, but as far as missing the original GSC, I can't say I do. I prefer HG/SS with all the extra and enhanced graphics.

I guess I'm just the type to go with the flow of things and not really get stuck in the past.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Although I've played Silver when it first came out, the game itself doesn't hold much nostalgia for me. It was the friends I made during that time who I remember more than any playing of the game.

Like Amore, the only thing that I really miss about G/S/C while playing HG/SS is the fact that I didn't have to battle Lugia/Ho-Oh before I could move on. That's one reason why I haven't played SS in months, since I'm not ready to catch Lugia, but I am to move on with the story.

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
    Ah, second gen...those were the days. Pretty sure my Gold version was burned with a bunch of old trash by accident a while back...I still have my brother's old Silver cartridge, although it doesn't save any more. Such a shame, I'd really like to play them the old fashioned way once again...with the awesomeness that is Pokémon Stadium 2.

...I honestly think I miss the old Stadium games more than anything. =P

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I really enjoyed my C game (I never played G/S) but I do believe I am much more fond of HG/SS just because I seem to appreiate pokemon more than ever now, and when G/S was first released I was so much of a Kanto fanboy I refused to give up playing R/B/Y and move on with the Pokemon era. hehe. But now, Johto is my favourite reigon.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I don't miss them, I still have my Crystal that I got all Pokemon on after my trip to Japan got me a legit Mew and Celebi, but despite having fond memories of Silver and Crystal (never played Gold) I enjoyed playing through Heart Gold much more.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
    I miss playing them, with the people i played it with. But I love this re-make, honestly it's better than original, knowing that you have so much more to do than the originals, you can re-battle the gyms, and such.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I can't say I miss it that much because I'm too caught up with HG and SS right now. All the new features.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    I still own Crystal, but never played it. XD I tried playing it after I had played RS and FR LG and the graphics pretty much killed me, so I gave up on it. So basically I don't really miss G/S/C because they were before my generation (in the sense that, by the time I got into Pokemon, GSC was a thing of the past), and now we have HG/SS which basically rock due to all the awesome graphics while maintaining the original storyline, so everything is good. :3

Years
    Tbh, I couldn't get into Silver fully at the time (I don't know why, I think I was just getting annoyed at some of the new moves and the pettyness of some of the online battles I had via some random pokemon battle site. Wasn't able to properly battle or trade due to no one else having it either), but I was needing a game that could keep me occupied for some time, so thought I'd give HG a crack.

On a simple note, there are so many improvements, extra's and enhancements in Heart Gold that I doubt I could go back and play Silver again.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    I personally remember getting Pokemon Silver way back when. Unfortunately, earlier this year I tried to load my game...and realized my battery had died. I went ahead and replaced it, but I miss some of the pokemon I had (my Chikorita and my first shiny pokemon, a Spearow, rank up there!)

I just loved so much about it. The fact that it had a real post Elite-4 game in it (which kinda was needed based on how short Johto was), and the fact that I got to face Red was awesome! I hate how in the new games you are limited back to 8 gyms agian...I liked having more "boss" level opponents...which is why I enjoy the remakes even more, since they added all the features missing from GSC Kanto back in (Seafoam Island, Safari Zone, legendary birds, full gyms for Blue and Blaine).

One thing I enjoy more about GSC than HGSS though is the simplicity. I mean, training pokemon was much simpler in Gen I/II than with the current EV system. No worrying about battling the wrong type of pokemon, etc. And the Box cloning trick was mad easy (let me give out shiny spearows to my friends, which helped me get good trades since none of them found anything shiny besides the Gyarados).

I still actually remember my (admittedly nooby) team that I used: A Meganium, the Red Gyarados, a Magmar, the shiny Fearow, Ampharos, and Graveler/Golem. I miss them =(

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I don't exactly miss it, as I'm lucky that my Silver Version is still working. Can't miss it if I still have it. :D

Although, I couldn't seriously see myself wanting to play Silver Version now that I have SS, other than for nostalgia. But I guess that's the point.

Years
    I have to say, I do miss playing my Gold version, just 'cause it was one of the first Pokemon games I ever owned and completed. Plus, the old graphics and music are still pretty cool, for being such an old game. However, HGSS does have a lot more features and the graphics are amazing. So, it's really 50/50 for me 'cause they are both great games.

Back