• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [G/S/C] Changing move names

Years
  • Hey there pokecommunity,

I've recently got back into finishing my old pokemon crystal modification. I was wondering whether there's a tool or a simple way to edit a move name. I found a tool (GSC Attack Editor) that changes the moves' effects, but there doesn't seem to be a function that changes the move name itself. Can you guys help me? I'm modding Pokemon Crystal, so the 2nd Gen of Pokemon.

Thank you guys in advance,
    pallando

Last edited:

Matthewmui2006

Hi everyone
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Actually it is all simple using Goldfinger (or other hex editor).

Just search for the first move name (i.e. Pound) and you will get a list of attack names. There aren't any pointers to the names, so you can just type over them and paste everything (the other moves' names) after your edited move name.

For example, if you want to change Pound to Dragon Pulse, copy everything after Pound (i.e. Karate Chop......) and then type Dragon Pulse over Pound. Then paste everything after the terminating byte after Dragon Pulse.

Years
  • Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't expecting anyone to answer after there was no response after 7 days or so. Anyway, I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean. If I do what you say, I will overwrite the part after the attack names, won't I? "Dragon Pulse" is a longer name than Pound, so if I paste the other attacks after Dragon Pulse, the longer name will impact the following hex strings, or am I wrong? At least that's what happens if I paste long hex strings in hex editor. I'm somewhat on the slow side when it comes to these things, so I hope you can answer that for me.. I've already succesfully renamed a move in another hex editor (not Goldfinger), which did not have any visible downsides but it increased the romsize from 2048kb to 2049kb, which I think is not a good sign. :p

Thanks for your answer!

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't expecting anyone to answer after there was no response after 7 days or so. Anyway, I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean. If I do what you say, I will overwrite the part after the attack names, won't I? "Dragon Pulse" is a longer name than Pound, so if I paste the other attacks after Dragon Pulse, the longer name will impact the following hex strings, or am I wrong? At least that's what happens if I paste long hex strings in hex editor. I'm somewhat on the slow side when it comes to these things, so I hope you can answer that for me.. I've already succesfully renamed a move in another hex editor (not Goldfinger), which did not have any visible downsides but it increased the romsize from 2048kb to 2049kb, which I think is not a good sign. :p

Thanks for your answer!
    There is a pointer to the list of all moves and the moves are terminated by byte '50' if I remember correctly. The way it finds name of move number 'n' works so that it practically counts byte '50':s it runs into until it has found 'n' of them and the next one is the name of move 'n'.
    Because it works like this, you can make for example 'Pound' a larger name and just move all the move names following it forward.
    If there is some used data there that would be overwritten, you could repoint that elsewhere, or for example repoint all the move names elsewhere, and then copy paste the move names there. It is pointed from another rom bank.

The rom size should never change as you make changes with hex editor unless you change the size on purpose. That is hardly necessary though.

Back