• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen G/S/C Monotype Challenge

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
    Years
    Went south of Violet City
    Cleared Union Cave
    Contacted Kurt
    Cleared Slowpoke Well
    Defeated Gym #2: Bugsy
    Defeated Rival before Ilex Forest

I completely forgot about the Rival battle. It's really hard to beat a Bayleef knowing razor blade when your only strong pokemon's only non-water attack is freaking double-slap. Hypnosis plus some luck saved the day.

Current Team
    --Sheik: L23 Poliwag (Water Gun, Hypnosis, Bubble, Double-slap)
    --L11 Totodile (Scratch, Leer, Rage)

In Ilex Forest, retrieved Farfetch'd
    Received Cut, taught it to Totodile
    Back to Ilex, received Headbutt, taught it to Sheik
    Cleared Ilex Forest
    Received Odd Egg (PS: I'm playing Crystal)
    Back to Ilex, captured a Paras for trade bait
    Traded Paras for an out-of-game male Pupitar knowing Crunch
    Bred Pupitar with Totodile, hatched the egg
    Named new Totodile "Jason X"

Um…wow. I forgot that Pupitar knew lots of other moves that could be inherited by Totodile. Basically, I'm sitting on a L5 Totodile with the following moveset

• Leer
    • Crunch
    • Rock Slide
    • Thrash

As for the plan of not using wildly upgraded movesets until after beating Morty, that still stands. I'll use the original Totodile and just keep Jason X in my back pocket until then, and continue to let Sheik continue his bull rush rampage through the hapless game trainers.

Evolved Sheik into Poliwhirl
    Beat Gym #3: Whitney (really easy, just used Rain Dance and Water Gun)

Years
    I just attempted Red without doing any grinding before, for fun and to see who causes problems to my team. And i won. Even though my strategy was pretty lame.
    Pikachu was a bit annoying because it never missed with Thunder and Red used like 3 Full Restores on it, but it went down after some time. Espoen was more annoying, surprisingly it was able to 2HKO all my Unowns, which means OHKO after a revive. But Spiritus had a slight chance to survive by 1 HP, which saved the day for me. Snorlax was easy. I used an X-Defend on Barbarian, and stalled it by using Hyper Potions till Body Slam was out of PP. Healed my entire team while Snorlax spammed Amnesia and then finished it off. Charizard was annyoing, i had to use my only Max Revive here, so Rockstar could live a Flamethrower (by 1 HP and with a Burn) and finish Charizard off. Blastoise used Rain Dance and swept, but when the rain stopped, Hippie killed it with ease. Venusaur wasn't hard at all, i just attacked while it loaded the Solarbeam and revived when it fired it. I recorded the battle, and because i was already expecting the file would become too big to open it, i recorded 3 parts, but the first one was still too big, so all i can post is screenshots.
    Spoiler:

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
    Years
    VERY impressive, Mondays. i'm not smart enough to even know that the opponent loses PP on moves, so I never would have won that fight on account of monetary stinginess. I think I had one experience (might have even been back in RBY) when an opponent used a move more times than it had PP for, and from then on i just assumed the NPC opponents weren't subject to that restriction. but hey, good to know!

Anyway, to continue from last time...

Evolved Sheik into Poliwhirl
    Beat Gym #3: Whitney (very easy, just used Rain Dance and Water Gun)
    Nicknamed original Totodile "BreedBait"

North to Sudowoodo, back to Goldenrod for SquirtBottle, back to Sudowoodo
    Defeated Sudowoodo
    Arrived at Ecruteak
    Leveled up original Totodile (now Croconaw) to L28
    Defeated Kimono Girls, received HM03
    Defeated Gym #4: Morty
    Went east of Ecruteak, got Tully's phone number (waiting for water stone)
    Regressed to south of Violet City, trained Jason X (new Totodile) to L25
    Cleared routes b/w Ecruteak and Olivine
    At Olivine, received Good Rod and HM04
    Went back to New Bark Town
    Caught Chinchou, nicknamed it "Casper"
    Cleared Sprout Tower, received HM05

Current Team

• Jason X: L30 Croconaw (Surf, Crunch, Rock Slide, Thrash)
    • Sheik: L30 Poliwhirl (Headbutt, Rock Smash, Rain Dance, Water Gun)
    • Casper: L20 Chinchou (Water Gun, Flail, Supersonic, Thunder Wave)
    • BreedBait: L28 Croconaw (Cut, Leer, Scary Face, Bite)

BreedBait won't be on my competition team, but he will be a handy cut slave, at least for now. I'm thinking about potentially dropping any HM slaves and just using four battlers who happen to know all the out-of-battle moves. Surf for the Kingdra I'm planning on, Waterfall/Whirlpool/Flash for Lanturn, Cut for Feraligatr, Strength/Headbutt/Rock Smash for Poliwrath. A problem is that would leave me without a slot for Thunder Wave on Casper since I want him knowing an offensive electric move. But I guess if I make it Spark, that's pretty good anyway. Plus, I have DragonBreath planned for Kingdra and that has a 30% chance to paralyze. I guess I'll have to see how battles go, and if things need revamping I'll do it when I need it.

Evolved Chinchou into Lanturn and taught it Surf
    Went to Cianwood
    Saw Suicune, defeated Eusine

Years
    In RBY the AI does in fact have infinite PP, i remember Giovanni's Rhydon using EQ like 20 times against me, but in GSC and later, they changed that, which makes such unfair strategies possible

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    Mind if I try a bug type challenge on Crystal?

EDIT: Huge Update.

Update: Saturday, October 17, 2009

Spoiler:

EDIT 2:

Update Sunday, October 18, 2009

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years

That screenshot is just completely epic =D

Well, yes, the purpose of this post is to bump this thread, since atm no one cares about good old GSC, everyone is into HGSS...

Maybe i'll do this again, but i won't even try to make this as spectacular as the Unown thing... I'll take Dark, and i'll trade me a Murkrow Egg, then get Eevee at Goldenrod, later catch a Sneasel at Ice Path and more later catch a Houndour. Maybe i'll raise a Tyranitar as well if i need the power against Red (and because Tar is awesome)

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    I'd like to do Crystal w/ Psychic.

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i'd like to switch from ground to normal if that's cool. i sort of "misplaced" my save file.

or deleted it...

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    ok, so i got me a cyndaquil to start, but caught a sentret (Fancy!) and a rattata (Classy!) soon after
    i then did some extreme grinding to get Fancy! to evolve, which he did. Classy! did not.
    the egg i had previously received from the the aide hatched into a togepi (Pii). this caught me off guard.
    i taught Pii head-butt and abused it relentlessly until it evolved.
    as it loved me a great deal, i took it to the woman who gives you return if the first pokemon in your party loves you. i got return.
    i caught a tauros (Tatonka) and a miltank (Hottie) and trained them on stantlers for a while.
    sadly, i was forced to box Classy!
    after obtaining surf and teaching it to Fancy!, i surfed to mahogany and caught a Girafarig (Palindrome).
    Fancy! was put into retirement.

Team:

Pii lvl 33
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Return
    Safeguard
    Sweet Kiss
    Headbutt

Tatonka lvl 29
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Pursuit
    Tail Whip
    Horn Attack
    Strength

Hottie lvl 27
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Stomp
    Milk Drink
    Defense Curl
    Ice Punch

Palindrome lvl 34
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Confusion
    Agility
    Stomp
    Baton Pass

i just beat chuck, and it would've been easy with Palindrome there, but i decided to get all cocky and use agility and baton pass, but it was dumb because i passed it to Hottie who has respectable speed anyway. so then i got bent. but then i won.

Years
    OK, added everyone
    ____
    Started on Gold (which is pretty dumb because i can get Sneasel in Ice Path there, but three Crystal files at once would be a bit too much...), chose Chikorita because it does good as a HM Slave, lost to rival, caught a Pidgey and traded me a Murkrow egg (accidentally for the Chikorita, but that doesn't matter that much). Hatched it, named it Krow (here i prove my incredible creativity again). Did Sprout Tower, beat Falkner (Krow OHKOd Pidgeotto =D)

Team:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Krow / Murkrow m Lv.16 @ Berry
    - Peck
    - Pursuit
    - Haze
    - Mud Slap
    I never realized how powerful Murkrow actually is, things were incredibly easy up to this point.

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i beat lots of gyms and gained lots of levels. but i was unsatisfied, so i decided to train more in the little patch of grass before ice path where there are many grass pokemon and lickitungs. during my training, i came across a lickitung that didn't look like the other ones i had been destroying, and i finally realized it was shiny. its coloring was kind of lame, but it was shiny nonetheless, so i caught it and decided to use it. its special attack is much better than that of Hottie's, so i named it Filthy and taught it ice punch. and then i beat the elite 4. i was sort of over leveled.

Team:

Pii lvl 55
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Return
    Hidden Power (Dark)
    Sweet Kiss
    Double-Edge

Tatonka lvl 55
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Thrash
    Iron Tail
    Horn Attack
    Strength

Filthy lvl 55
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Ice Punch
    Screech
    Slam
    Stomp

Palindrome lvl 57
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Psybeam
    Crunch
    Stomp
    Shadow Ball

Palindrome did most of the work, but Filthy took out Lance's dragonites.

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    Spoiler:

Caught a slowpoke (decided not to name my pokes this run. I wanted to do some training so I went back to route 32 to train on the fishermen I had skipped. Afterward I headed to Bugsy's gym and swept the floor with my cursing slowpoke. (tho I did make a lot of PC runs to get PP back lol) Beat my pathetic rival again...(i hate lick right now...and bite...every damn thing has bite...) Chased a farfetch'd through a forest and was rewarded w/ cut. Obtained a tm02 and 'butted out an eggy. Also caught a wild abra and a wild drowzee. Trained up until the 19-21 range before taking on the gym.
    -time to shorten this-

-Beat rival again in tower, met eugene and my next gym victim
    -beat gym
    -beat kimono girls
    -decided that having drowzee wasn't going down, wanted space for others...deposited
    -made my way to a sick moomoo, fed it a little
    -went to olivine, beat a lot of trainers, met amphy
    -sailed to the little hole in the sea, got meds
    -beat a gym leader in my spare time
    -sailed back
    -helped a sick poke
    -beat another gym leader (2 tries....had to give kadabra fire punch to do it...)
    -went east to lake of rage
    -killed a rare species lol
    -met lance
    -beat up some more rockets
    -beat another gym
    -got a strange phone call
    -SAVED-

(I'll make the next update much better I swear)

The team so far:

G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    @ 34
    -Thunder Punch
    -Fire Punch
    -Psybeam
    -Recover
    (will trade eventually to evolve)

G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    @ 35
    -Surf
    -Curse
    -Headbutt
    -Shadowball

G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    @ 34
    -Leech Seed
    -Confusion
    -Hypnosis
    -Stun Spore

G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    @ 34
    -Fly
    -Leer
    -Night Shade
    -Teleport

G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    @ 19
    -Strength
    -Cut
    -Leer
    -Smokescreen

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i demolished every gym in the kanto region, but i felt my team was too low in level to deal with the true champion, red. so i trained and trained until everyone was at least lvl 70. it took all of 20 minutes, but it was well worth it...even though i lost the first time. but the second time, oh yes, i won. and it was great.

Final Team:

Pii lvl 70
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Return
    Psychic
    Sweet Kiss
    Double-Edge

Tatonka lvl 71
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Thrash
    Iron Tail
    Horn Attack
    Strength

Filthy lvl 70
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Slam
    Stomp

Palindrome lvl 70
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Psybeam
    Crunch
    Stomp
    Shadow Ball

actually, it was some luck that helped me win. i accidentally selected ice punch when fighting red's last pokemon, blastoise, with Filthy, but somehow, through the use of the mystical coding of the game, it froze blastoise and i then ruthlessly murdered it. and then i was congratulated for it by gamefreak.

i think i might try dark now. i'll try trading over a houndour egg.

Last edited:
    Years
    I beat Bugsy, Whitney (Miltank died in 2 hits =D) and Morty and received the Eevee. Bought an Ekans and put them into daycare.

Team:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Update: I finally have an Eevee now. First it took an eternity to get the Egg, then i had to walk a lot of steps, in the meantime i did the burnt tower, the Kimono Girls and Lighthouse quests out of boredom. And why can't i put Krow and Paras into ONE spoiler?
    Update: After a lot of grinding, Eevee finally evolved at level 35.

Team:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Krow / Murkrow m Lv.42 @ Berry
    - Peck
    - Return
    - Faint Attack
    - Mud Slap
    Heavily overleveled now, hatching the Eevee egg just took me soooo long and i had to do something in that time =D
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Overhyped / Umbreon m Lv.35 @ Quick Claw
    - Quick Attack
    - Bite
    - Sand Attack
    - Return
    Probably it would have been better to train the level 20 Eevee, even though it would have evolved into Umbreon in the 40s then, but it would have saved me all the breeding time...
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Paras / Paras f Lv.5 @ /
    - Scratch
    - Cut
    - Flash
    - Rock Smash
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Poliwag / Poliwag f Lv.10 @ /
    - Bubble
    - Hypnosis
    - Surf
    - /
    I'll need a Strength slave soon...

Last edited:

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
    Finally started the Normal monotype challenge.

Day One
    Picked Totodile for a starter, did the run to Mr. Pokemon's house and beat rival and his Chikorita. I then caught a Pidgey and a Sentret, Falka and Scout respectively. Headed up to Violet City, on the way stopping in Dark Cave and catching Teddiursa, Delphi. Falkner was easily defeated with Falka's Gust attack.

Then heading towards Azalea Town, Scout was deposited in the box. She would be replaced by Togepi and maybe a Snubbull or a Jigglypuff. Bugsy and the rival went down easily. Then headed through Ilex Forest and up to Goldenrod City, catching a Snubbull, Kita.

Day Two
    The Togepi egg finally hatched and I picked up the Odd Egg. Going to train the Pokemon into the twenties before taking on Whitney.

Team stands at:

G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    Falka / Pidgeotto, Lv. 18.
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    Delphi / Teddiursa, Lv. 17.
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    Kita / Snubbull, Lv. 15.
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge
    Nuka / Togepi, Lv. 8.

Badges: 2/16

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i started the dark challenge, but i wasn't able to trade, so i gamesharked a houndour into the first route and caught it. it was actually weaker than the one i bred because the one i bred would've had flamethrower, and that's ridiculous.

i've done a LOT, so i'll just share the most important events.

- houndour (TheHounds!) evolved right after the battle with whitney.
    - got an eevee (Lame) from bill and trained it to level 29. determined to get its happiness high enough so it would evolve at level 30 and i would get both bite and confuse ray, i walked around a lot. sort of anticlimactic.
    - clair's dragonairs were taken down by Lame, and just to show how awesome TheHounds! was, she took out kingdra.
    - i lost once the elite four (only using the healing items i had accumulated throughout the game), so the second time i bought a couple full restores. Lame lived up to its name and died mid-way through, so TheHounds! had to take out the last of the elite four (whatever her name is) and lance. and somehow, that happened.

EDIT:

i actually just beat red and stuff. i didn't think i'd beat him because i only had sneasel left and he had venusaur and espeon, but venusaur kept using solar beam, so would use dig to dodge it, and it eventually died. espeon couldn't do anything but swift, and it didn't do much damage, so i slashed it a couple times and it went down.

FINAL Team:

TheHounds! lvl 65
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Crunch
    Strength
    Flamethrower
    Faint Attack

Lame lvl 63
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Quick Attack
    Bite
    Confuse Ray
    Faint Attack

Byrdie lvl 63
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Hidden Power
    Fly
    Faint Attack
    Shadow Ball

Sneeze lvl 64
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Ice Punch
    Dig
    Faint Attack
    Slash

may as well do another. i guess i'll do rock.

Last edited:

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
    *belligerent drunk man stumbles into a bar with an empty bottle of scotch*

"WELL! IT STILL HASN'T BEEN A MONTH SINCE SOMEONE POSTED HERE, WHICH MEANS I DON'T HAVE TO START A NEW THREAD YET!" :P

in other words, i'll start a monotype challenge with fighting-type :)

so far i've:

• named my character MORALES, i'm prof.elm's special gardener who he has gone to for help (named after retired boxer 'el terrible' morales)
    • set time and obtained pokegear
    • game-genied tyrogue as a starter; named CANELO (after up-and-coming boxer saul 'canelo' alvarez)
    • obtained map card
    • went to mr.pokemon's pad, and obtained pokedex
    • beat BARRERA, my rival and fellow gardener who became crazy with dreams of power and money (named after retired boxer marco antonio barrera, 'el terrible's' greatest rival)
    • gave the mystery egg to prof.elm
    • made my mom keep $$$ for me
    current team:
    Canelo
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Tyrogue @ ---
    Fighting/Lv. 8
    ~ Tackle
    ~ ---
    ~ ---
    ~ ---
    backpack:
    Spoiler:

EDIT:

• i worked my way to violet city, and beat everyone in sprout tower
    • i caught a lv3 female bellsprout and taught it flash
    • lost against the first gym trainer in falkner's gym (the one with the lv9 spearow), so i cranked canelo's level all the way to 16
    • completed the first puzzle at the ruins of alph
    • beat falkner (had to use an x attack, x defend, and two potions :S) ; received the zephyrbadge and mud-slap tm
    • got the item in the cave with bellsprout's flash, then traded her for onix, and stashed the onix in the pc
    • obtained the old rod in route 32
    • went back to route 31 to catch a lv10 poliwag (male, forgot to nickname, though it'll prolly be margarito in honor of antonio margarito (who didn't cheat against cotto so anyone thinks he did can suckmah****!!!))
    • made my way to azalea town
    • beat the rockets
    • beat bugsy (julio cesar really took on a protagonistic role in this battle, and canelo's weakness of only knowing tackle is becoming a big nuisance); obtained hive badge and fury cutter tm
    • lost against barrera, bayleef was beastly and destroyed canelo, so i went back to train him a bit more
    • mystery egg hatched into togepi \˚o˚/
    • canelo evolved into hitmontop (i wanted hitmonlee) :'(
    • i beat barrera (though canelo STILL only knows tackle)
    • found farfetch'd
    • caught a lv6 oddish
    • got HM01 cut
    • taught cut to oddish
    • obtained TM02 headbutt
    • reached goldenrod city
    • got the bicycle
    • trained my pokeymans a bit more
    • beat wendy easily
    • obtained the squirtbottle
    • beat sudowoodo
    • tried to look for a heracross, but it's gonna be a ***** to find one :|
    • showed togepi to prof.elm
    currently: am heading over to ecruteak city

current team:
    Canelo
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Hitmontop @ Quick Claw
    Fighting/Lv. 26
    ~ Headbutt
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Tackle
    ~ ---

Margarito
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Poliwag @ ---
    Water/Lv. 26
    ~ Rain Dance
    ~ Hypnosis
    ~ Water Gun
    ~ Double Slap
    backpack:
    Spoiler:

Question: should i get body slam, strength, or submission for margarito???

Last edited:

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    oh yeah, i forgot about this :D
    well, i don't really know all of what happened because i started the rock challenge nearly a month ago, but i DO know that i beat all the leaders up to jasmine.

and my team is:
    Raspberry lvl 34
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Magnitude
    Selfdestruct
    Tackle
    Rock Throw

Woody lvl 33
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Rock Throw
    Rock Slide
    Low Kick
    Flail

Awesome lvl 39
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Tackle
    Bubblebeam
    Spike Cannon
    Surf

i may or may not have been really into corsola when i first caught her, but i have the sneaking suspicion that i had a leveling love affair with her.

Back