• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game breaking trap on route 2

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I had rattata as the head of my party. On route two the first beauty you see will challenge you. She has a ghastly. The only moves ghastly has is Mean look, Hypnosis, and Spite. None of these do damage. The first move she used was mean look, trapping my rattata. I only had normal moves so I of course did no damage, and with Ghastly seemingly having no attacks, unless the RGN gods decided to spite me (haha see what I did there), we were at a stalemate. I had no choice but to wait it out until Rattata ran out of pp and struggled its way to fainting or the same for ghastly. However ghastly ran out of PP for Spite and so this process was long. I gave up. This is a process that could take an hour to clear. If you saved the game right before, it's best to restart, but like me who didn't save, you'd lose valuable progress.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    If your initial Pokemon only has Normal moves....and you're fighting a Ghost type.....wouldn't you want to immediately switch out to another Pokemon anyway, regardless of if it had Mean Look or not?

Though I suppose it's not a bad idea to warn people anyway

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Well haven't played in a while so didn't really expect such an encounter. Haven't touched pokemon since White 2.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    The title is rather misleading, this is not a game breaking situation by any means, it is just an inconvenience.
    Game breaking would be if you got stuck on a loop on that battle again and again making you have to restart the game since the beginning, but since you can save before the battle this is not really the case.
    Thanks for the working though! I would just suggest changing the tittle not to alarm people.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    If your initial Pokemon only has Normal moves....and you're fighting a Ghost type.....wouldn't you want to immediately switch out to another Pokemon anyway, regardless of if it had Mean Look or not?

makes sense

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016

Probably why I didn't have any problems with the battle. Ghost are immune to Normal Moves, it has always been that way, I believe for 20 years now.

Not really an issue...you can totally just wait it out, which my buddy ended up falling victim to this via his Event Munchlax, trying to get a Happy Hour in before swapping. He said it took 30 minutes for Ghastly to Struggle out. You have exaggerated the length of time by double. Regardless it is easily avoidable.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I saw the title of this thread thinking it was about a save ending crash. Not what is at worst an annoyance.

As I am likely to be leading with my starter this issue will likely not affect me.

Back