• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Dev Contest

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
Years
  • Goal
    To make a fully playable game in under a month created with any game making software or programming language. Games may be of any genre and may be in 2 or 3 dimensions. If you can figure out how to make one in 4 dimensions, go right ahead.

Criteria
    Originality - I think I've had enough of people ripping sprites and sound effects and still having only one name in the credits. Their own. You get more points for having a more original game. Characters, sprites, audio, storylines, and other resources borrowed from other games negates points here.
    Gameplay - The fun factor. After all, without this, it's not a game, is it now? Risk-reward schedules, all that fun stuff, under the games hood. Addictiveness and replayability for the win.
    Mechanics - Dude, you can plant flowers all over the world and watch them grow and die even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the game? Awesome! Plus there are those to-die-for physics. Also, bugs, glitches, you know. I don't want my kick-ass weapon to turn into a stick. Unless the stick is the kick-ass weapon... Then, well... I guess it's okay.
    Story - If applicable, the story of the game. You know, boy meets girl, girl is kidnapped, boy rescues girl, they live happily ever after... until the sequel...
    Completion - I don't want the game to pop up with an "End of Demo" screen right when I was about to invade the palace of my brother's killer. However, I'd be slightly okay if it ended right before the credits.

Prize
    Grand Prize - $50
    Second Place - $25
    Third Place - $10

Rules and Limitations
    Open only to members of Angel Spire by July 1st, 2008. Seeing as how that may count as advertising the forum, it's not a must for PokeCommunity members.

Game MUST be started NO EARLIER than July 1st, 2008.

Entries must be received in .exe format by July 31st, 2008.

Any entry that has excessive violent, verbal, sexual, etc. content deemed inappropriate will be sent back to the contestant for revision by the 31st.

In order to accept cash prizes, contestant must have a Paypal account.

Collaborative projects are allowed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions, comments? PM me or post here.

Luke128th

These days shall pass...
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the mods won't be too happy with this idea. And people handing out thier paypal account doesn't seem that safe. I'd enter but I'm afraid to...

sonic smash down

Where those that train, train hard!
    Years
  • you cant create a good game in thirty days or less anyways, every good gamer knows that. it takes months and months of hard work.

sonic smash down

Years
  • no im not saying you cant do it im just saying you need more time to make it asome

new ideas, new graphics, asome story line, or different levels of the game (depending on wat type of game your making), and lots of hard work, effort, and time put into it. thats just how i define it, but okay if other people have different opinions about it and want to sign up.

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • Sonic smash: This is a contest. If people are given too much time, they'll slack off and the end product might not be all that spectacular. Of course, it may be tough to make a good game in a month, but that's the purpose of the contest. It's a challenge. To try to outdo everybody else and walk away with the (admittedly small) prize.

sonic smash down

Years
  • okay man and lolz, but i wont be entering i have to much work to do with my own pk project. i see y there is a so little time frame now. anyways good luck wit whoever does enter the contest though

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    Making this contest easier/funnier you could have a guide line for everyone, like a theme of some sort. Maybe boring to play 5+ games with the same theme thought..

Luke128th

These days shall pass...
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    I still don't think this is very safe... Not saying that I don't trust you, it's just that, like Sonic said, you can't really make a good game with new graphics and yadayada in just a month's time. My Pokemon Regions Project will probably take almost a year to do.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    WOO! Werewolves :D

I think one month is fine, althought many people may take a vacation and be with their family just in july >_<
    Don't think of something to advanced, make something simple but entertaining. You would easily be able to do a 2D side scroller shooter in a month, that's what I'm planning to do.

I got a question, is it OK to start working on the graphic & sound right now? :/ Because some good spriting take its time >_<

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I played a game called The Mirror Lied a while ago. It was the most thought-provoking game I've ever played.

It was made in 4 days. Given nearly 8 times as much time, who knows what you could do?

I'd enter, but I don't have a PayPal account, and I need to work on Amethyst as well. So I'll just stay out of this one.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    It was made in 4 days. Given nearly 8 times as much time, who knows what you could do?

Well the thing is, most of us are only one or two people, and we don't have ANY resources done. I believe you can code a game in 4 days but not do all the resources and mapping necessary, unless you are quite a big team.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    It was made by only one person. Okay, it wasn't very long, but I don't see a gameplay time requirement here, either.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • The Mirror Lied didn't take so long because it was based off of a pre-existing movie... Still a good game though.

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • Yeah, I think I'll allow you to start with resources now. After all, if you aren't making your own, you're gonna be using RTP or something, and how much time does it take you to make those? None.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    you cant create a good game in thirty days or less anyways, every good gamer knows that. it takes months and months of hard work.
    Yep. I get that kind of BS all the time.

People are always saying you can't make a commercial game with game making software, or that you can't do it in a certain amount of time. People are always saying you can't do this or you can't do that, and all other kinds of complete nonsense. Funnily enough, these people usually don't amount to anything. They never achieve anything.

ANYTHING is possible, with enough hard work and dedication. People who say otherwise do not know what they are talking about. The only reason they cope that negative attitude is because they never really tried to do it themselves.

At a local college, they have a game making camp for people who don't know how to make games. They are taught programming, graphics, etc. They are also required to make an actual game within a week. It can be done.

Long way of saying, I will be entering. There is no need to worry about paypal accounts, all you're really doing is giving out an e-mail address, nothing more. If it really bothers you, then make a dummy paypal account just for this sort of thing.

This sort of thing is meant to be a challenge, something to improve your skills. The only question is, do you have the guts to dare to actually try?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    Got another question, how long should the game take to finish? :/

And may it be a little erotic? Else my story is ruined xD

Back