• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Dev Contest

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
Years
  • The game can be any length, just don't make it way too short ( game < 5 minutes ) or too long ( game > 3 hours ) or thou shalt anger thy god. And me, of course. >:D

If you do make the game longer than 3 hours, don't worry, I'll hack the game and give myself infinite power. j/k

As with the little erotic... uh... well, is it safe for a PokeCommunity audience? Just use your judgment. If you've gone too far, we won't ban you from the contest, we'll just send it back for (hopefully minor) revisions.

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • This contest has started!

Entries will be accepted until August 1st, 12:00 noon Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -8)

Further details on posting your project are coming up for those of you who wish to do so.

Josh1billion

Game Developer
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 23, 2008
    I actually just started a new game yesterday (in C++) after managing to write a small platform engine, and was lucky enough to stumble across this thread today. I think I'll enter (assuming I can finish it in time..). :cool:

A little information on my game, without leaking too many details to other entrants:

It will be a small spinoff game, based on the world of my browser-based MMORPG (Seeds of Time Online). It will be a 2D platform game where you play as one of the monsters from SoTO.

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • Hmm, I might try this out. I made a game in a week for the XNA Dream Build Play Warm-up. XNA is pretty quick to get stuff going, are we allowed to use the XNA framework. It requires a special download in order to use, its by Microsoft. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-4a25-4dca-bf40-9c497568f102&displaylang=en)
    Yeah, you can use XNA. The dream build play contest, that's the $40,000 prize one, right? Heh... oh, if I won that...

It will be a small spinoff game, based on the world of my browser-based MMORPG (Seeds of Time Online). It will be a 2D platform game where you play as one of the monsters from SoTO.
    Sounds good. :)

Josh1billion

Game Developer
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 23, 2008
    Btw, is this prize real? Are you providing it or is someone else?

Last edited:

THE HACK ATTACK

a hack attack is coming soon.
    Years
  • this should be interesting i think the makers should post them on the forums and make it like the community is the judge not just 1 person or group of people...but all in all seein as i am too in the middle of several projects myself and it being summer here in Iowa well can't really do too much ya know

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • It will be judged by a small group of people (unless I get more judges) but I'm not going to have it community judged. If it was community judged, though, it would probably be judged by the fine people of Angel Spire Productions. Speaking of which, if you'd like to post information on your project, you can post it here/PM me and I'll bring it to Angel Spire for you, or you could register at Angel Spire and go to the "Contests" - "Game in a Month Submissions" forum and post it yourself. You can also go there to check out all the other contest submissions by other people.

Btw, is this prize real? Are you providing it or is someone else?
    If you feel safe with my word of honor, yes. If not, there is nothing I can do to prove to you that the prize is real. As for who's paying it, well, I'd be paying myself, but I'm kinda poor (yes, I can't even afford $85) so I'm getting a bit of financial help from some of the staff members at Angel Spire who want to see this contest a success.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    ****, only a few days left and I don't even got an idea of what to do ._. Will probably be something simple in VB (new to VB) :P

Atomic Reactor

Hmm.. I think ill give a shot at this. can i jsut do it for fun though? like if i win, i wont take the money. the runner up can have it. would that be alright?

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • Seeing as how there are only 8 days left... Your chances of winning... well, they're smaller, to say the least. But by all means, try. Please do. And yes, you can do it for fun.

Atomic Reactor

oh good point. well, ill join the next one that comes up ^_^

Josh1billion

Game Developer
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 23, 2008
    I took some time off from my project, and so I won't be able to finish it in time to enter the contest anymore.. :(

EDIT: Then again.. I may be able to enter a shortened version if I become inspired and spend ~10 to 20 hours on it within the next few days... We'll see...

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

So, will we be able to play the winning game?

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • You'll be able to play all of the submitted games. Also... sorry for not posting this yesterday, but the submissions period is over. Let the judgment commence. :)

I'll update this post with a list of the few games that were made...

RMXPokemaniac

Dreamweaver
    Years
  • Sorry for taking so long (not out of forgetfulness of this wonderful site, but judging took... a long time. I'm such a lazy... ****), but the contest is finally over! And... because I kinda don't wanna type it all again... >_<

Results

Submittions

So there you have it. I should do this again. But with more money. Maybe more people would join... and actually finish a game. :/

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Sorry for taking so long (not out of forgetfulness of this wonderful site, but judging took... a long time. I'm such a lazy... ****), but the contest is finally over! And... because I kinda don't wanna type it all again... >_<

Results

Submittions

So there you have it. I should do this again. But with more money. Maybe more people would join... and actually finish a game. :/

I disagree with your choice for first place.

How could you let some dumb RMXP Game win over:

* Original music by myself
    * 100% original graphics (unless you count megaman plagiarism as non-original)
    * 100% original scripts by myself
    * Fast and smooth platform engine by myself
    * 100% original game maker because both rpg maker and game maker are sh1t so I made my own in BMX
    * Open sourceness so you can look at the code and modify it or even erase everything and make your own game!
    * Make your own levels (with notepad)

Much more time and effort was put into Run Robert Run, you guys screwed up big time.

Back