• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Development or Romhacking?

Raffie

♪Genso Kyoku no Dream♪
Years
  • I mean... Game development is easy stuff.
    And Romhacking is hard and sometimes impossible.
    Should i start making games instead of romhacking?
    What'cha think?

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • I mean... Game development is easy stuff.
    And Romhacking is hard and sometimes impossible.
    Should i start making games instead of romhacking?
    What'cha think?

Depends on exactly what you want. With ROM hacking, you've got a completely finished system already, and all you have to do is make the world. On the other hand, with Game Development, the system that is closest to being complete (if you want a Pokemon game) is Poccil's Starter Kit, and that still isn't done yet. Still, with something like RMXP, it is fairly easy to make the worlds itself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2007
    I would make games instead of Rom-hacking because RomHacking is really difficult with scripts.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2010
    Game Dev.............

I'd Suggest Game Dev. Because It's Easier To Make You Game More Original. Go With Game Development(best choice(rpg maker xp))

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Me too~~
    I advice to Game Develope because it is easier with Poccil's starter kit.
    I tried before Rom Hacking, it has lot of limit but Game Dev has no LIMIT!
    You can do what you want!
    So just make a Pokemon Fangame dont hack.

Dyegov

Spider Pig!
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    I also suggest game Developing. With Poccil's starter kit is really easy, and you get full freeness to do what you want; in hacking it's really difficult to even change texts, since you have a defined space for them. All that changing tiles, palettes and all of that is really hard. Better go with Game Dev ;)

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Well, if you acctually take the time to understand the roms scripting you can make imposible posible in rom hacking, but that is a knowloedge that takes months maybe a year or two to get and to do that on game dev it might just take a week or two so if your looking for easiness and cheezyness then yep, Game Dev is 4Ya

Spazzup

umm
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2008
    It's a bit redundant asking about which is better in this forum since the majority of people would opt for Game Dev.

It depends on what you plan to do however; many people can argue which is better but what it really comes down to is what you can do with it and both have equal possibilities. It's really just a matter of preference.

Back