• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Development's April Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkPegasus

~ Stargazer ~
Years
  • Game Development's April Contest
    ~2nd April - 2nd May~

Hi everybody. This month I'll be hosting a competition inside Game Development. We had these before, but there wasn't one for a long time. I think it's time we continued the old tradition (no matter how irregular it was ^^').

Ok, now about the contest itself. There are 4 regular categories, and one extra. Entries for the first 3 must be zipped/rared and uploaded to any web site except megaupload and rapidshare, and obviously posted here. For the 4th category you must post a screenshot of your entry.

Rules:

1. All rules given in the description of the category still apply
    2. You must say what you used to make your creation
    3. Absolutely no stealing
    4. One entry per category
    5. No entry used in one category can be submitted to another
    6. All and any other PokeCommunity Rules

- Failure in following any of the above stated rules will result in point deduction -

1. The Maker

Your objective here is to make a game with 20-30 minutes of game-play, but a longer game-play is also acceptable. It doesn't have to be complex or anything, just enjoyable. You can use any game maker and if you are using anything not included in the RTP you must say so, and where you got it (this doesn't apply if you made the things). So, basically when you need to have is: characters, story, anything else won't influence the judging that much.

We will be judging the appearance, storyline and how enjoyable it is.

2. The Scripter

This one is also open themed. Your objective is to make a fully usable system. Good examples are: CMS, Running System, Hunger system etc. Please note that the complexity of the system plays a major role and we will favor those. Also, you must post a description of your system, what is it used for, how to call it, etc.

We will be judging the usability of the system, the way it was scripted and it's appearance.

3. The Thinker

"You are walking in a forest and suddenly a man comes from behind the bushes he says something to you and you fall asleep. When you wake up you notice that you are in a desert. You look around you and decide to search for the nearest city. When you find it you realise that the place you are now isn't Earth at all."

This is the "basic" story. You must expand on it and use it to make a game. Aim for a 20 minute gameplay, and try not to go over 40, every entry not in these marginal values will have points deducted. The game that follows this or very similar story can't be submitted for "The Maker", the game-play must not exceed 40 minutes.

We will be judging the appearance, the way you expanded on the original story and how much it deviates from the basic story (the more the worse, you don't wake up in a desert but in a swamp etc.).

4. The Mapper

The theme is nature. So you must make a map (swamp, forest, etc.). Just make us feel like we went camping, trekking, nature seeing and you will surely get high points. The map must be at least 60 x 40 tiles (one tile = 16 x 16 pixels), no custom tiles from unofficial sources allowed.

We will judge the appearance, how logical it is (no trees on water) and originality.

Extra: Overall Winner

To be valid for this category you must submit at least 2 entries. "The more the better" doesn't apply here, so we will only count in for the overall experience, so a guy or gal we decide is the best takes the crown.

Prizes:

All category winners will receive a banner for their signatures, the overall winner will receive a banner/avatar combo.

So, submit away and good luck!

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • For the 4th contest, can we use RMXP, or do we have to use the Pokemon tileset at the original size? (I'd have to pull out my old ROMhacking gear to do that, and the results wouldn't be quite so pretty as with RMXP)

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    For the scripting competition, I have a script I'd like to enter (the Mystery Gift script in my game).
    However, I'd rather that the script wasn't made public, as if it was, everyone would know exactly how it works, and therefore be able to effectively cheat in my game by hacking a mystery gift. Would it be possible to give the script in a PM? (and possibly release an RMXP-encrypted public demo)

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    Is this only for RPG Maker? Because I would like to make a code with Dream Maker :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back